The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Your go-to grooming/bathing products?

As spring is coming up I want to stock up on more/new grooming supplies/ideas?
    So your favorite:
    Coat moisturizers/sprays
    Shampoos
    Conditioners
    Hoof polishes
    Brushes/towels/implement thingies
    Tricks of the trade
    etc?

Just for fun.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Coat moisturizer: Pink stuff (a cap-full of Healthy Haircare moisturizer in a spray bottle)
    Hoof polish: Fiebings Hoof Oil
    Towels: I have an old woven rub rag that I adore and if anything ever happened to it I'd probably cry.
    Tricks of the trade: Dawn dish soap for socks, and Pledge (yes, Pledge) sprayed on a rag then rubbed over the horse to keep show ring dust from sticking.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Coat moisturizers/sprays – Healthy Haircare Hair Moisturizer / Vetroline shine / Cowboy Magic Detangler

Shampoos – Cowboy Magic Rosewater / Quick Silver

Conditioners – Mega – Tek Rebuilder

Hoof polishes – Veg or fish oil in a can

Brushes/towels/implement thingies – nothing special, just all natural, I like horse hair, Tampico and rice root.

Tricks of the trade – cornstarch on white socks.

[edited to add] - BABY WIPES. I use these for all sorts of stuff. But they work very well to remove stains if my mostly white horse decides to lay down in something unsavory! They make short work of gross marks, and leave the coat clean.
    Last edited by Appsolute; Feb. 12, 2013 at 01:36 PM.

The one product I cannot do without is Lucky Braids shampoo, nothing else leaves the coat so silky soft and shiny. It rinses so easily which is important to me, I don't like to leave a horse standing in water indefinitely while I rinse and rinse to remove those detergent shampoos. It also helps prevent skin issues, and to clear them up. I never use anything else for bathing. I always dry legs until they are bone dry after bathing too.

I also use Show Sheen, I have tried all the others and Show Sheen is the best, although I use it sparingly, a little goes a long way. It is not a substitute for regular grooming, bathing and rubbing. And speaking of rubbing, I am never without those grey and white woven grooming rags, I don't know what they are called but they are easily found in tack shops.

2 members found this post helpful.

Cactus cloth and alcohol for taking the sweat marks off a strip horse in short order.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My mare adores the cactus cloth I use to rub her head with after I take her bridle off. She sees it, and she reaches for it. I swear she smiles!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    And speaking of rubbing, I am never without those grey and white woven grooming rags, I don't know what they are called but they are easily found in tack shops.
    YES, those are the ones I love. The older they get, the better they are, too.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

With spring, comes mud...

So my standby products are Farrier's Fix and Keratex, along with Corona ointment (rubbed into the coronary bands to help hooves grow in smooth and crack free) and Desitin, to prevent scratches on the bulbs of the heels.

I don't love putting soap on a horse unless it's absolutely necessary; generally I find rinsing plus a good grooming routine makes for the best coat. I make an exception for the mane and tail, though. For those, I like a tea tree oil shampoo, used as necessary, and generally I will use that same shampoo on white socks as well. Dingy white socks are kind of a pet peeve for me, so they stay clipped short and maintained daily.

The rest of my grooming routine is ridiculously simple, and consists of a lot of quality time with a curry comb, medium brush, and rub rags. Years and years ago, l learned the secret to a shiny coat was to put some muscle into that currying, bringing all the oils up from the skin and giving the horse a good massage.

If the coat seems a bit dry or prone to static, I do use a bit of Healthy Hair sprayed on to the rub rag to help remove dust and leave the coat soft and shiny.

I am a fanatic about tail care and will use a bit of Cowboy Magic on the tail hair below the dock to help keep it tangle free. I am not generally a big fan of lotions and potions otherwise, but I do keep the Lucky Braids salve around for itchies and bug bites.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

1 members found this post helpful.

I've fallen in love with EQyss Marigold Spray—http://www.eqyss.com/marigold_spray.asp

Smells heavenly and makes for soft, shiny horses!

1 members found this post helpful.

I would be lost without my long bristled flick brush and my cactus cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    YES, those are the ones I love. The older they get, the better they are, too.
    And mvp's post reminds me that I love cactus cloths too.

Cactus Cloth is an all-occasion grooming tool.

That and a hoof pick should be in every prepper's bugout pack. You never know when you are trudging along some post-apocalypse road and come across a horse with a stone in is foot or who is itchy.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4 members found this post helpful.

I do love a good cactus cloth and also a good boars hair brush.

Where does one find a cactus cloth?! I've looked everywhere and can't find them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post

The rest of my grooming routine is ridiculously simple, and consists of a lot of quality time with a curry comb, medium brush, and rub rags. Years and years ago, l learned the secret to a shiny coat was to put some muscle into that currying, bringing all the oils up from the skin and giving the horse a good massage.
    I had always been taught that currying is pretty important, and brushing in general. What do you do if your horse HATES being curried? I've been dealing with this with my newest horse. He's gotten a little used to it, but I always feel bad because it visibly annoys him.
    What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by ponyjumper525 View Post
    Where does one find a cactus cloth?! I've looked everywhere and can't find them!
    Sometimes also called "sisal". http://www.amazon.com/Kingsley-Sisal.../dp/B00161BE2K

has anyone tried this waterless shampoo:
    http://ecoliciousequestrian.com/stor...products_id=27

WAAAAYYYY too cold for baths, has been for months and horsey is getting really yucky.

Hmmmmm, in my brush/wash boxes my staple go to items are:
    *curries-several kinds, at least four of the rubber big nubby kinds (I also keep one in my wash box to give them a really great bath)
    *Tri-Care for booboo's.
    *Vetrolin coat conditioner for tails
    *Vetrolin coat spray for sunscreen and tangles
    *Tomorrow-for ONE stubborn mare with persistent thrush in her heel bulbs....finally getting rid of ths nasty stuff now that I know what I'm really dealing with!

Oh, and a cordless clipper (the WORST clippers I have ever used) to trim up periodically. No electricity at my barn yet and hubby hates when I clip up by the house!

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    I had always been taught that currying is pretty important, and brushing in general. What do you do if your horse HATES being curried? I've been dealing with this with my newest horse. He's gotten a little used to it, but I always feel bad because it visibly annoys him.
    What to do?
    Try a grooming mitt. I've found that a very sensitive horse is fine with a curry with one of these.
    "Horsemanship is not merely a matter of bodily skills, but is based on scholarship and, therefore, is a matter of the mind and intellect." Charles de Kunffy

http://www.equiimages.com

3 members found this post helpful.