The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i've had lots of variations of a BP but no gooseneck...that's what I want, though, but we're saving $$ this year so not putting money into a 5th wheel hitch for the truck and a new trailer. Maybe next year!!! I can't wait.

When you're ready for that hitch, Equinekingdom, you can't miss with Tweety's. Best price hands-down on the B & W Turnoverball - and free shipping
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I've had both...went from a BP to a gooseneck, which I love. Bizarrely, I found it easier to back the BP, but probably because that's what I learned on, and it was shorter than the truck and GN. It may take you some time to get use to the extra length in the GN if you go that route. And, make sure your truck bed is long enough for a GN. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is if you have a short bed and a "flat front" GN (as opposed to the "shaped" nose) you may smash your back window out making sharp turns?

But, I will say, your tow vehicle will make all the difference. I recently drove a friends 350 and 2 horse BP, and I swear it was as stable on the highway as my rig.

Definitely prefer having a gooseneck over a BP. But I have a long bed truck with extended cab and it works super with it. I find it much easier to hook up than the bumper pull that I did have.

It only took the DH one quick drive around the block to understand what a great change going to a GN was. The difference is that clear.

Definately GN; better ride, easier to line up the hitch although I can see why some would not like the getting in and out of the truck bed.
    Yes, you do want to learn to be aware of any sharp change in the real estate under the rig, but I can't imagine hauling over such extreme conditions routinely. . . BPs can hang up too in a different way; just use common sense .
    I definately would not go back to a BP. Just be sure your truck will pull it.