Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bumper pull vs Gooseneck

DH and I are trailer shopping, either 2 or 3 horse. My last trailer was a 2 horse bumper pull. I had no issues or problem with the bumper pull. I am considering going gooseneck this time. DH not convinced. A local guy who has done trailer maintenance for us in the past is really pushing gooseneck. He says they are faster and easier to hitch up, easier to back up and swears that once you have had a gooseneck you will never go back to a bumper pull.

Bumper pull has suited me fine for years but I am open to a change. I do like the the extra storage space of a goosneck.

So, what say ye. Is he right? Once gooseneck always gooseneck?
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I've had both. A 2 horse, straight load bumper pull and now a 3 horse slant, gooseneck. And he's right....I'd never go back. I don't know that they are easier to hitch up. Seems like if the ball doesn't get under the hitch on the first try, then I'm going to be there a while...an inch too far to the right; then an inch too far to the left and so on! The truck handles much better (4 wheel drive, off road) with the weight in the bed than on the bumper.

And the extra storage space is good. Ours has a dressing room and hold tons of stuff.

I think it also depends what you plan to do with the trailer. By that I mean, how often its used and how much stuff do you normally cart around. If you're traveling a lot, I believe it is a lot less strain on your tow vehicle having it hooked into the bed than onto the back of the frame. I always had 2H BPs because I didn't use them much and last year switched to a 2H GN which fits all of my tack becuase my new barn does not have much storage. So, it works for me! I think they both have their positives and negatives. Also, a budget will obviously be a big factor.

Yes... as long as one has a truck... three GN trailers for me after the one BP trailer.

I have had 2H BP's and now have a 2+1 Gooseneck. My take is that for a 2 horse with a regular dressing room, I'd not pay the extra for a goose. Anything longer and I'd definitely go with a gooseneck. A gooseneck is much much easier to maneuver, but hitching and unhitching is more trouble with having to crawl into the truck bed. I am also coveting an electric jack.

That said, I love my Hawk 2+1 and haul 3 horses often enough to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    So, what say ye. Is he right? Once gooseneck always gooseneck?

There are times a 2H bumper pull would be nice to go on a quick trail ride vs our very large 2+1 gooseneck. Having said that, I would never go back to a bumper pull as our primary trailer.

Add me to the I had a BP now I have a GN and I would never go back to a BP. Much easier to hook up, tow, back up, better ride for the horses, safer.....
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

1 members found this post helpful.

Umm. We had a guy just about take his bed out getting up our driveway with his GN. Last Saturday as a matter of fact.
    Other than that, which is that they aren't forgiving if you make a turn off the road and do a grade change at the same time, (our driveway is level and the road is climbing a moderately steep ridge) they're quite nice.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Gooseneck all the way. My first trailer was a 2h BP followed by a 3h GN followed by a 2h bp and finally I now have a 4H GN with extra large dressing room. I love it, other then it is huge and I have 2 horses, but I got it for cheaper then the 2h Gns and the 3h Gns for a newer year and nicer quality.

I personally like them better and they are harder IMO to hitch as you have to get in the bed. Royal pain compared to the BP which is back and lower. That and my BP empty was a lot easier to crank then my GN empty, but I like the nose for storage and to put my blowup mattress.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I have both --- a 2 horse BP and a 4 horse GN. I like the GN for longer hauls, as it's more solid on the freeway. I like the BP for around town and hauling into facilities where access is tight. A lot depends on what you want to do, and whether you will do mostly local short hauls or longer hauls, and how many horses you will haul on a regular basis. Personally, for 80% of my hauling (local shows, trail rides, lessons) I use the BP.

I prefer hooking up the BP to the GN as I don't like climbing into the bed of the truck and fiddling with the tail gate.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I've had both and much prefer the gooseneck - more stable on the road, easier to hook up, and I definitely loved having the storage in the peak.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I have a BP but dream of a GN it wasn't in the budget when I was trailer shopping otherwise I would have gone GN. Better a BP than nothing though!

Another one in the "Once you go gooseneck, you'll never go back" camp.

Your car guy is right
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

It depends on the vehicle.

I like hauling distances with a gooseneck. I like hooking up the bumper pull for a quick trip.

If I had to pick one, and I had the right truck, I would get a gooseneck.

FWIW.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I had 2 bumper pulls for many years. Just got my first GN. Towing its much nicer with the GN. Backing up with the GN is very different and I am still trying to master it. Right now its frustrating because I used to be able whip my BP into parking spots like a master. Now I am doing the back and forth thing a million times. (I have to practically parallel park my trailer into its parking spot)

We have a 1/2 ton truck and would prefer not to upgrade right now. It would get used probably weekly for 3 seasons of the year for Pony Club and weekend horse shows. Mostly short jaunts though, most trips 30 minutes, a couple longer ones. All flat land hauling.

I want something 7'6" tall and that is not super easy to come by around here, I have found a well priced new 2 horse straight load BP with the dimensions I want. I am being counselled to be patient and wait for a used 7'6" tall gooseneck and I am not doing so well at the "be patient" part!
    Last edited by Mozart; Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: meant "seasons" not "months"
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Horses prefer GN, hands down.
    Traveling far, they definitely come out more fresh off GN.
    It is more steady and less bumpy over rough roads.

BP is second best all around, although not without some advantages, like not needing a pickup.

We used BP for years, until GN came out and then, never again.
    GN is definitively safer going down the road.
    Seeing a BP fishtailing behind you is no fun.

So I've never owned a BP, only every a 3h slant gooseneck. One day i was having electric jack issues (make sure someone teaches you how to set up a manual crank) and borrowed a friends 2h BP and her truck, a 3/4 same as mine. I could not back it up to save my life, and it felt really wobbly on the interstate compared to my trailer.

That is my one and only experience with driving a BP, but after having a gooseneck I don't think I could make the switch, and I'm horrible at packing lightly and have the top of my trailer filled with stuff!

I can't back a short BP at all. I can back my GN 2 horse with dressing room with no problems. Ok, I'm not GREAT at it but I can do it eventually.

I got a Hawk BP instead of a GN because my tow vehicle is a diesel ford excursion. Love the "truck" and my hawk. When I eventually get a truck, I will probably get a GN with a side unload ramp.