The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Give me strength...a feeding regimen change

COTHers, give me strength!

My sweet girl recently moved to a new (wonderful) home. Since the move, she's been getting a few flakes of absolutely delicious-smelling second cut for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and night check. And probably more. The problem is that she likes to trample it, pee on it, and use it as tinsel when she gets bored of eating it. And we're on a budget (aren't we all?). Besides the financial pinch, I hate that those calories are lying on the floor, in the snow, etc. All they do there is make her stall a PITA to clean, and mean that I throw out clean shavings...grr!

So I'm making a switch. Today she got all seven of her allotted flakes of second cut in a Nibble Net in the morning. She also has a bale (yes, a BALE) of first cut in the biggest hay net you've ever seen strung up in her stall.

I know how this is going to go. She is going to stand there and mow through the second cut like she's never seen hay in her life, and spend the rest of the day nickering and making sad eyes at any human who passes her by. This will go on for days - at least as many days as she's been getting hay at "meal times" (that would be TWELVE) - until one day she heaves a sigh and chokes down the first cut after she's done with the good stuff.

Wh...where's my food? Pout.

That I can handle, because I am a practiced, cold-hearted monster. But I need your strength to get through all the "AWWWW ISN'T THAT SAD" comments from the other humans
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have tried to do that. The only way I could manage was to stay out of sight.

Now if that isn't the heights of the ridiculous--hiding from a horse.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

4 members found this post helpful.

Pull out pieces of hay through the net so she has something to grab on you'd be surprised how many fussy horses learn to eat really quickly using this method.

1 members found this post helpful.

Mine prefer nets over loose hay now...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Mine prefer nets over loose hay now...
    I've found the majority do! Now...my hoover QH would eat hay any way physically possible...but my TB does love his plus it beats watching him drag his beautiful orchard grass through his stall and then pee on it.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post

I have tried to do that. The only way I could manage was to stay out of sight.

Now if that isn't the heights of the ridiculous--hiding from a horse.
    I have totally done this (hidden from my horse) for the same reason.

It is always so funny how routine-bound they are. I have been riding my horse really, really early on weekends lately. Because of this, I feed him his (very small) ration of grain immediately when I get to the barn. A barn employee usually ends up coming through to feed while my horse is literally still eating what I just gave him (I don't save a lot of time by feeding him myself, but I figure every minute helps), yet my horse throws an absolute fit wanting to be fed by the employee. LOL. He will stand there nickering for food while ignoring the feed that is already in his bucket...the feed he was just eating two seconds before the employee walked in.

Haha, thank you! She has been on NN for about a year now and we both really like them. I can understand playing with your food I just hadn't gotten her set up with them in the new place until now. And yes, it's definitely the routine-breaking that's the tough part.

I'm practicing averting my eyes and non-committal nods.
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

I was having the same issue with my horses pooping and peeing on their hay if fed on the ground. I went to hay nets about 6 years ago and haven't looked back!! They don't waste any hay now.......love hay nets!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

If Crackerjack saw an entire bale of hay in a hay net on his wall he'd think he died and went to Heaven. He's another easy keeping Hoover, got it from his Mom I guess. Yesterday he got put into a stall to wait for the dentist and he licked, yes, licked the occupant's bucket, sucked up all the hay he could reach and eyed the rest very hard while looking pitiful. He's good at that.
    He doesn't need a net, not really, but the other one OMG, he wastes a lot and spoils it, and Cracker won't eat spoiled hay either. So nets are our best management tool.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

How many flakes was " a few" at each feeding? When horses have food in front of them most of the time (= over fed) they waste a lot of it. I do 3 or 4 meals in the winter and 2 in the summer. I feed on the ground and they eat every single stalk. That same hay left out for them at their leisure would be trampled, soiled and wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    How many flakes was " a few" at each feeding? When horses have food in front of them most of the time (= over fed) they waste a lot of it. I do 3 or 4 meals in the winter and 2 in the summer. I feed on the ground and they eat every single stalk. That same hay left out for them at their leisure would be trampled, soiled and wasted.
    Free choice hay (i.e., hay in front of them all the time) does not really always equal waste. It depends on the horse. My horse will literally eat as much hay as you can put in front of him. The only time I recall him not finishing his hay overnight was when there was a feeding error with a new employee and there literally was not any portion of his (at least 10 x 10) stall that wasn't covered in hay. Even then, he very nearly ate it all! That said, he recently got a hay net for outside and he seems to like it quite a lot and there is less waste from him spreading the hay out to get ruined by weather, etc.

OP, if anyone gives you hell about starving your poor horse, offer to let them pay your hay bill next time around.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

All of my mare's hay goes into hay nets. One net at a time, but I layer it in. So, depending upon how much timothy I want her to have (more in summer) I stack in a couple flakes of alfalfa, then a small flake (or two) of timothy. Repeat until full. A full net weighs about 40 lbs.

She does an amazing job of picking out the alfalfa early on, but eventually the tunnel collapses and she eats the grass hay.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    OP, if anyone gives you hell about starving your poor horse, offer to let them pay your hay bill next time around.
    Thank you

hay nets are lifesavers! well, haysavers. Mine, too, prefer to eat from a net now. We have round bale hay nets but when they run out of hay in those and it's too wet to get a new bale in there, we just put a full bale of square bale hay in there and they'd rather eat it in the net than just on the ground in the feeder!