The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Farm/home insurance recommendations....

I have heard about the issues with insurance companies not wanting to insure homes with acreage.

Any recommendations?

Where are you located? Some states have issues due to natural disaster losses.

As a rule mere acreage doesn't mean much in terms of rating a home. A business is another matter.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Definitely need to know where you are. I work for Nationwide in North Carolina and we do farm insurance.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

I have Homesite Insurance for my acreage. They gave me some 'tude when I mentioned I would have horses on the property (personally owned, not boarded), but settled right down when I said I would have a front perimeter fence installed (I was planning to do it anyway).

Flood insurance (a requirement for mortgages in the Gulf Coast) is through AllState.

I have Homesite Insurance for my acreage. They gave me some 'tude when I mentioned I would have horses on the property (personally owned, not boarded), but settled right down when I said I would have a front perimeter fence installed (I was planning to do it anyway).

Flood insurance (a requirement for mortgages in the Gulf Coast) is through AllState.

I have not been able to get back to check replies til today. Thanks to those that replied and here is more information.

First we have always been good customers -- and only had one small claim in 26 years of home ownership -- and all have been rural properties with horses/facilities. Always privately owned horses -- never boarding -- 2 - 6 horses.

I am in rural Virginia(so rural no internet thus my inability to check back often), geographically located in the coastal zone but not in flood prone area requiring flood insurance. There appears to be an issue with Farm Bureau here (and is apparently due to recent natural disaster claims) and we may have to switch companies. Have had two companies have issues with our property -- in the past when we were solicited by another company and decided to compare rates they said we were too far from a fire department (closest vol dept is approx 6 miles). Another recently said that the large property was a problem and they would only consider us if we bundled car insurance as well. Problem is we are very happy with current car insurance.

We just went through this similar scenario to insure our vacant 63 acre farm. It took many calls! I would recommend finding a broker in your area. They have many agencies that they work with to find something that meets your needs.

I also got the same 'in order for us to insure your property you must insure your cars with us' stuff. I have everything through State Farm except the farm...go figure. Their rates with all the discounts were too good to give up just to insure the acreage.

I recently tried to move my homeowner's insurance to State Farm and they won't cover us because my area is not covered by fire hydrants or a city fire department. (Obviously, time to change their name!)

The agent is pretty frustrated about that too. He said that the rules tightened dramatically in the last year.

It's annoying, because I had really hoped that after our remodel - making the house much more fire safe - I would be able to lower our rates. Sigh.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post

Not sure if it's just in NC or what, but Homesite is shutting down for us.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio