The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If she will eat them dry...could you buy the mini standlee alfalfa/timothy cubes and put them in a nose-it? I got one for when my QH was rehabbing and he LOVES his nose-it! Plus, I can put dry cubes in and he can only get 1 or 2 out at a time.

http://www.standleehay.com/ViewProdu...ype=sh&id=atmc
    http://nose-it.com/

She is turned out with another horse, so there is no way to make sure she is the one eating them from the Nose-It.

If she were alone, the problem would be solved: I coudl give her the grain dish with soaked alfalfa cubes, and she could take however long she wanted to eat. I wouldn't need to stand around waiting. But that isn't an option, so neither is her nit-picking through her dish for hours on end while I wait around. EVENTUALLY she will eat all of it (like, if they are stalled separately overnight, but this rarely happens)
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

To clarify, with the beet pulp, she eats it right up within 15 minutes. So there is a huge difference in the time it takes her...adn its not because there is less volume. She literally picks her way through the alfalfa, and heartily eat the Beep.

Like others suggested, maybe add a little bit something sweet to the alfalfa mix to see if that helps? Like in addition to the water add a bit of apple juice, or even that apple-y flavored electrolyte mix? Just a thought...don't know if it would work as my horse is as far from finnicky as they come!

Also, if you aren't already using hot water it helps break up the cubes much faster. What I usually do for mine is I put the hottest water possible in, let it soak while I ride, and then its ready to go and nice and mushy/mixed together.

Ok while I understand why you want to feed the alfalfa, and the great effects it can do for ulcers; Maybe you should just consider not giving her anything. It is by no means the end all, be all. If you can't give her 20 -30 minutes by herself with some straight alfalfa hay, and she won't eat the pellets or the cubes, then stop stressing yourself out and forget the alfalfa. I'm sure your nutritionist can give you an alternative.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

For the little bit you're giving her, I agree with buying her a bale from TSC, I bet she'd scarf that up in a few minutes and at a pound a serving, it'd last quite awhile.
    Kerri

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Showjumper28 View Post
    Ok while I understand why you want to feed the alfalfa, and the great effects it can do for ulcers; Maybe you should just consider not giving her anything. It is by no means the end all, be all. If you can't give her 20 -30 minutes by herself with some straight alfalfa hay, and she won't eat the pellets or the cubes, then stop stressing yourself out and forget the alfalfa. I'm sure your nutritionist can give you an alternative.
    This was my original question, LOL! I guess just looking for confirmation that I can give up on alfalfa!

Your not listening to your horse? Didn't your post say-- She WILL eat them dry, but YOU won't feed them this way? Did I read this wrong? She obviously doesn't like the mush they ( or pellets) become when you soak them. A bale of alfalfa isn't much more than a bag of pellets or cubes. If your only feeding a couple of pounds of cubes then it would take her less time to scarf up a couple pounds of alfalfa hay.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    For two reasons:

1) Its not readily available here, and the bales at TSC are $18.00 each
    I'm going through the SAME situation! And, since no one at my barn needs any Alfalfa hay (which is i think 14.50 per bale by a local) I can't order it because they sell it in bulk and won't deliver unless otherwise.. it's horrible, and the TSC bales are SO expensive.. great quality but my lord!

My mare HATES the cubes too, she'll eat them dry but I'm too worried about choking to actually trust her to eat them and leave her with them. I attempt to soak them and she'll maybe eat one, then just stare at them. (Even if she's alone in a stall with nothing else to do.) Not sure why they're picky about it..
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    Your not listening to your horse? Didn't your post say-- She WILL eat them dry, but YOU won't feed them this way? Did I read this wrong? She obviously doesn't like the mush they ( or pellets) become when you soak them.
    Yes, it did say that. It also said that I will not feed them dry because of a choke hazard (a very real concern) and becuase she already doesn't drink enough water, so feeding a soaked meal not only gets more water into her, but decreases the risk of choke.

She will eat soaked beet pulp just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    If your only feeding a couple of pounds of cubes then it would take her less time to scarf up a couple pounds of alfalfa hay.
    Probably, but her "grain meal" is the vehicle for her flax seed supplement, I need something to mix it with, and I can't mix it with hay.

We used to tie the pony up while he ate. Actually while the old guy ate. It became easier to spend the bucks for corral panels to separate them at feeding time and (added benefit) keep them from turning the bulk of the paddock into a mudhole.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I'm just going to give up on alfalfa, and give her what she likes to eat...soaked beet pulp, TC 30%, and her flax. She has hay in front of her, so has long-stem forage for saliva.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    We used to tie the pony up while he ate. Actually while the old guy ate. It became easier to spend the bucks for corral panels to separate them at feeding time and (added benefit) keep them from turning the bulk of the paddock into a mudhole.
    I have stalls to put them in while they eat. I don't have hours to wait around while she eats, and they aren't at my house, they're "boarded" at my parents farm, where I don't live, I live another 20 minute drive from there.

It might be for the best you know, don't get too stressed! Do you have her on any supplements that might help? It could be an alternative, although those are so much more expensive..
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

Supplements that might help with what? I'm not following ?

How long are you soaking them for? I have a gelding who won't eat the pellets if they soak more than an hour. If I pour just enough water over them so that it's all absorbed within 15 minutes he's a happy fellow.

He adores the baled stuff from TS. My favorite pellets are the Semican.

You should try Chaffhaye. My guys go through it like a pan of brownies! They will send you a free one-pound sample.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Like, Gastro-gaurd/omeprazole, anything like that will coat the stomach which helps with ulcers.. I use a knock off brand of gastro-gaurd which is just omeprazole in a tube(People even take omeprazole for tummy aches! ), and she gets a half a tube every night. Before I trailer or before shows I give it to her to coat her stomach so the acid in her stomach doesn't cause her ulcers to reoccur. It's working so far! It can be pricey, though.
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

Oh, gotcha!

She is always picky with the alfalfa, even when her scope revealed no more ulcers.