The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The grazer or other hay feeders

I'm getting to my wits ends with the amount of hay my horses are wasting. Hay is $9 / bale and great quality and they still find a way to waste 20-30% of it. I have 2 horses and feed them primarily outdoors in hay boxes. I would attach a picture but I can't seem to figure out how. The boxes help but they immediately pull they hay out and then stand on it and refuse to eat it once its not fresh or God forbid it gets a little wet! I have an older mare who is the pickiest and pulls the most hay out. She gets a little thin in the winter so I hate to restrict her hay too much. I've cut them way back to basically 2 big flakes am and pm and then 2 more at night check and they still waste. It's getting expensive and a pain to clean up.
    I'm not the handiest girl here and I've seen a lot of great ideas on here I'm just not sure how I would accomplish it myself. I saw The Grazer and while its expensive I feel like it would pay off in the amount of hay I save. The only bad part is that I'd have to buy 2 so that really adds up.
    I was trying to see if I could somehow attach a hay net into my existing hay boxes. I really do not like the idea of the horses eating with their heads elevated so hay nets are out of the question.
    I was also thinking something that I covered might be good since they won't eat it when it gets wet, although I'm not sure how possible that is to do that and to keep their heads down at the same time.

Here is a link to The Grazer.
    http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/st...FUqf4AodCUEAeg

Thanks in advance!

Cinch Chix nets - attached via snap hooks to eye-bolts inside your box
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

That is perfect, thank you!!!

YW! Tell 'em "Number 73" sent ya
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Feb. 13, 2013 at 01:18 PM.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."