The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Culpeper

I am thinking about doing a week at HITS Culpeper this year with some of my greenies and clients. I haven't been there myself, but have heard some great things about the show. Does anyone have any positive/negative experiences about this show to share? Which week(s) are the best to go? Any recommendations on where to stay? Thanks in advance for any responses!

Be prepared for very poor stabling.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy
    Stash

Hits Culpeper doesn't have the greatest stabling, request the tent if you can. I brought my greenie there a lot the past two years (I board my horses less than a mile away) so I am able to ship in every day pretty much. There are LOTS of classes to choose from and there is usually ticketed warmups tuesday-friday. It happens to be one of my favorite shows, but again, I am right around the corner. As far as hotels go, your best one is the Holiday Inn Express (it's the newest in town) or the Best Western and Comfort Inn. I haven't stayed at the other two so I can't help you. The best weeks, from my experience with greenies, it the July/August shows. Yes it is hot as b@lls in the summer, BUT it is two weeks in the same place...

Well, HITS has been handling the EHV-1 outbreak at Ocala with unbelievable idiocy and negligence. I myself will never attend any HITS show because it's been made very clear that the show company does not care about your horse's/horses' safety and health.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    Be prepared for very poor stabling.
    And poor water. I actually got a tank installed in my rig so my horse did not have fungus breakouts from the murky water that comes out of the hoses there....
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken...

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    Well, HITS has been handling the EHV-1 outbreak at Ocala with unbelievable idiocy and negligence. I myself will never attend any HITS show because it's been made very clear that the show company does not care about your horse's/horses' safety and health.
    Good point.. and very unfortunate!

What's poor about the stabling?

the stabling is old and you have to check for nails/screws sticking out. (I always end up doing this wherever I am temp stabling so it's no biggie to me) I haven't really looked in the barns much since I ship in. They did redo some of them so that the base is level. They are actually doing some work over there now, so I'm not sure what it will be like by April.

We are always in the permanent stabling and its fine. Like prior post said you should always check any stalls before your horse goes in. Been showing at these shows since before they belonged to HITS. My favorite shows. July often hotter than August. Holiday Inn Express is where I always stay if not on the show grounds in camper.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!