The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Evolution of the water jump

A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

3 members found this post helpful.

That was insane!!!

I wonder what the footing and slope was like at that water jump for all of the horses to fall in almost the exact same spot? Interesting that as it went on more and more men trotted in, which gave them a little more success.

Yikes?!

I loved watching this. The last remnants of Cavalry officers: uniforms, no helmets!

Yikes is right.

The cuts from 1936 are amazing. Poor horses!
    Poland & two Germans made it. USA didn't come off, but wasn't as smooth as the Germans & the Pole.

at 5:30 in the vid: the poor horse is wearing pondweed/lake monster on his face!

Rumor has it the jump had two very different lines, on purpose, and that the Germans knew exactly which one to take.

That was interesting. I wish I had video from the Head of the Lake at Rolex in 1978, or the Snake fence. (Similar). I see why they banned women until 1960. The horses go in confident, a bit skeptical, but trusting -- and they sure come out mad, shocked, and uncomfortable....that was a confidence buster for sure. Things do change for the better.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

The Calvary shots it for sure looked like the issue was not the jump in or out of the pond but the funky footing (cliff) that was hidden under the water.

I did not get the one rider who pulled his horses bridle off the rest of the way and walked away.

What about the Mexico City Olympics, where several horses were literally washed away by the current?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I think of videos like this when people get misty eyed about the good ol days before BN level weakened the sport blah blah blah.

4 members found this post helpful.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

One horse, after the bridle had been pulled off, stood and had a drink! What amazing creatures they are.

Water jumps used to be into deep water, so ideally almost walk up and drop off would be the safest. Jumping into deep water is like sinking into mud, it literally stops the being immediately. Shallow water is easier. One is physical (depth) and one is mental (water at all), the riding has to be calculated for each type.

As to Mexico city, there was merely a small stream, not meant to be a water jump. But there were torrential downpours which created havoc on country, and this stream became a RAGING river and it was late on a taxing course (one of the 'fences' was like stairsteps (like 20 uphill in/out platforms going up a hill), and a couple of (russian) horse were literally washed away.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Gosh, it's amazing to watch these old eventing videos and see how radically unsafe it was then! And people want to say it's unsafe now... yeesh. They should all watch these videos.

And I can't get over how deep the water was... did they expect the horses to swim through it?

That is some amazing footage. Thanks for sharing.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

And this is exactly what I'm talking about -- good old days?? Really? Who remembers the Wiggly Worm at Rolex in the late 80's/early 90s? *shudder*

What I want to know is how many of the "drowned" horses did not hesitate to jump into water after that?
    Poor horses is right. That one with the pond weed on his face...l!!!
    What about the rider who pulled at the bridle so much that it cam off, then walked off without a second look at his horse, who was standing stock still in the water...hurt, maybe?
    Again. Poor horses.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Very interesting video!

I noticed that the 2 Germans were using neck straps and it looked like they were holding on to them jumping in...gave them much more stability. First one is at 6:08 and the other is next.

I always use a neck strap on XC so tend to look for them. Then on EN today, in the Evention video, Dom talks about using them.

Mary in Western NY
    http://www.bpequine.com

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    That was interesting. I wish I had video from the Head of the Lake at Rolex in 1978, or the Snake fence. (Similar). I see why they banned women until 1960. The horses go in confident, a bit skeptical, but trusting -- and they sure come out mad, shocked, and uncomfortable....that was a confidence buster for sure. Things do change for the better.
    Ask and ye shall receive!

1978 World Championships at Lexington:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVQCnbURMrs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZdRaGC7HU0

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Rumor has it the jump had two very different lines, on purpose, and that the Germans knew exactly which one to take.

When watching this, I wondered if the home team had been snuck on for some trial runs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive!

1978 World Championships at Lexington:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVQCnbURMrs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZdRaGC7HU0

That serpent jump was so nasty!

For the life of me, I cannot understand how these horses and riders made it around these courses... All the pairs seem so much less secure than any rider going around a four star course today.

Compile that with how much less safe the courses were and just wow.

My friend and I were at the Head of the Lake in '78. I kept hearing a man with a walkie-talkie calling jump #25. (I am pretty certain that was the number.) We decided to go over to that jump. It was the snake. The rest of the day, I sat on a bridge and took photos. I have time lapsed photos of horses jumping, hitting the fence, flipping into the water and the horses/riders slogging out of the water. Most would except help to get back on and keep going.

The saving grace was that the water helped cushion the falls. I was told later that the reason for all of the falls was that there was a false ground line. All of the horses were jumping too close, because the ground line was behind the top of the fence. Did anyone else hear this?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!