The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exercise Riding

Hey guys! I've been thinking that I may want to get into exercise riding, but I really have no clue how. I did a search on the forums and have figured out that I should look for a barn setting instead of heading to the track. I live in south eastern pa, fairly close to the Philadelphia Racetrack so I'd be looking for something in that area if any of you know of anywhere I should check out. Feel free to give me advice and to talk me out of this if you so please

I would say the majority of exercise riders start out working at farms like ours. We have legged up a few. Some have gone the distance others didn’t last too long. If we feel the person has the mind, ability and talent along with fortitude we will recommend them to a trainer when they want to move on. In this area we work with a great trainer who starts his horses off at a little training center in Mt Joy NJ. Training centers are a great place to get experience and learn the ropes on smaller scale race track before moving on to the Track.
    To get licensed as exercise rider at the track you will need recommendations and generally pass an interview. We’re not looking for riders right now but if interested you could come by the farm and check things out and talk. Perhaps get on a horse or 2. We feel it is important to help people start out. If you click on my screen name it should take you to our website address and contact information. Shoot me an email direct. We are located just outside Cochranville PA, 8 miles west of Unionville.

4 members found this post helpful.

Check out steeplechase barns as well as flat trainers (some do both).

And advertise your services on forums like this and fb pages. I just hired my new exercise rider/trainer through fb!
    Lisa

"The best thing for the inside of a horse is the outside of an arena"

Quote Originally Posted by Flash44 View Post
    Check out steeplechase barns as well as flat trainers (some do both).
    The OP would have gotten both at our farm too late now. The courtesy of thank you for my offer would have been nice.
    A little hint to anybody looking or even thinking about breaking into the horse business at a professional level regardless of discipline;
    Always acknowledge an offer of dropping by or get in touch to discuss. Even if it is followed by, “but we’re not looking for help right now” that is employer speak for I want to check you out in person and go from there. There may or may not be an opening but that could change at anytime. Or we know someone that does need someone. Most of us aren’t looking for “the best” rider but a competent rider, groom, assistant, etc. That takes instruction well, can communicate well, keeps the drama and personal issues to a minimum are congenial and don’t watch the clock. Employee, Employer is a symbolic relationship. Its in my best interest to keep a great employee happy as it is for them to keep me happy. More so for me in some cases.
    Never say “that’s not how it’s done in other barns I have worked in” because I don’t care how others do it by and large.
    Keep in mind that anybody that has made a living working with horses for a long time has been doing things right be it a big or small operation. They may not be a “house hold” name most aren’t nor want to be. But I can guarantee you they know the few that are or others that do. “Five degrees of Separation” runs pretty deep in the professional horseman community. A resume’ and back ground is all well and good but in my book and most others a recommendation from someone respected carries far more weight. Most of us won’t put our name behind someone or a horse for that matter unless we are completely confident in their abilities and follow through. Never judge a book by its cover and don’t blow anybody off on hear-say or innuendo without first hand knowledge. You never know how it will come back to haunt you and your ability to move up the ladder.

4 members found this post helpful.

Make sure you have strong calves

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. Sorry I haven't gotten back to any of you, this is the first time I've checked up on this thread.

gumtree, I was really excited by your original post and checked out your website and it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. I'm sorry to see that you seem to think it's too late now.

And yes I would be interested in steeplechase, I 'd actually probably be better suited for it seeing as I'm on the taller side and I have 13 years of experience in jumpers!

Quote Originally Posted by CenterStage123 View Post
    Hi guys, thanks for the responses. Sorry I haven't gotten back to any of you, this is the first time I've checked up on this thread.

gumtree, I was really excited by your original post and checked out your website and it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. I'm sorry to see that you seem to think it's too late now.
    If I were you I would still make contact. Explain the reason for delay, grovel if required. I wouldn't give up on a good opportunity.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

2 members found this post helpful.

Default what Gestalt said

Really,

Quote Originally Posted by CenterStage123 View Post
    I'm sorry to see that you seem to think it's too late now.
    Just a little friendly advice here - if you are truly looking to break into the horse business (or any business, really) then get yourself a large bottle of humble pills, a big jug of swallow-your-pride, and a suitcase of thank-you's.

Internet speak is often misinterpreted, and without the benefit of facial expression and intonation its meaning is frequently skewed. But if I was a potential employer who offered you advice and a leg up and you responded with THAT ^^^ .....

Be gracious and humble. Work more than you speak. Be nice to everyone. Say thank you whenever someone offers you help.

I promise it will get you farther in this world.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I think that's a little unfair, ACMEventing, since she wasn't responding to the offer of help but to the also-not-very-professional flounce from the person who initially offered help. Someone not responding INSTANTLY on a forum they may not even check often to instructions to contact them off the board is not an indication they're rude, lazy, lack interest, etc--it just means they asked a basic question and didn't think they were supposed to be checking back every fifteen minutes. Original post was the 11th, initial response was 12th, flounce/high-handed lecture was the 17th, OP first comes back to the thread on the 19th. The OP asked for advice, not job offers, and reading her the riot act because she wasn't fast enough responding was equally if not more unprofessional. Some of us are on here every day, but I suspect we're the minority and people aren't scheduling their lives around COTH. I read gumtree's second post and assumed that the OP must have sent some horrifically rude reply or shown up at their door and been a beyotch, not that she hadn't responded in under a week and missed some sort of unstated deadline.

3 members found this post helpful.

What danceonrice said. Perhaps the OP wasn't expecting such an offer, so didn't think checking back so quickly was necessary. And/or maybe she's been busy. It was 7 days, not months.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Eventing Nation had a great little piece on advice for exercise riding:

http://eventingnation.com/home/laure...g-caution.html

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I think that's a little unfair, ACMEventing, since she wasn't responding to the offer of help but to the also-not-very-professional flounce from the person who initially offered help. Someone not responding INSTANTLY on a forum they may not even check often to instructions to contact them off the board is not an indication they're rude, lazy, lack interest, etc--it just means they asked a basic question and didn't think they were supposed to be checking back every fifteen minutes. Original post was the 11th, initial response was 12th, flounce/high-handed lecture was the 17th, OP first comes back to the thread on the 19th. The OP asked for advice, not job offers, and reading her the riot act because she wasn't fast enough responding was equally if not more unprofessional. Some of us are on here every day, but I suspect we're the minority and people aren't scheduling their lives around COTH. I read gumtree's second post and assumed that the OP must have sent some horrifically rude reply or shown up at their door and been a beyotch, not that she hadn't responded in under a week and missed some sort of unstated deadline.
    Fair enough. But I still think the response I quoted could easily be misconstrued as rude to many potential employers. I wasn't trying to read anyone the riot act, more offer some words of advice that I could've used a long time ago

I don't know the OP but I certainly wish her the best in her endeavor.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

And gumtree's could be read by potential clients as "Maybe not someone I want to send a horse to", too. A lot of people investing money in a trainer aren't going to jump on someone who comes across as a drama queen over nothing. Equally as likely, possibly more, than a potential employer finding someone unprofessional for being a little miffed at most that they got raked over the coals for...not having done anything at all. I think the OP's response was quite polite, considering the reaming-out she got without real provocation.

I just found a barn where I will be breaking their babies for them. While I get you forget about a thread, even if that person's reply may have been a bit strong I would immediately try to patch it up with them even for the sake of how close the community is. And when this trainer calls me I call her back IMMEDIATELY and eat up whatever she has to say. I cannot wait to start (once footing is better and horses are started on the walker) and hope to soak it all up like a sponge.

I would contact that poster and do whatever it took to stop by and get on the right foot. Networking is important.

Obviously Gumtree hasnt checked this thread in minute...

Interesting direction this thread has taken since my last post. First I would like to quote a paragraph from ACMEventing # 11,

“Internet speak is often misinterpreted, and without the benefit of facial expression and intonation its meaning is frequently skewed.”

Very well said and very true. I don’t use smiley faces and other such things. Nor do I call what comes out of a horse's back end poop. At least not since I was 12 or so. I am not of the school of thought that feels every kid should get a ribbon so as not to damage their self-esteem. Just not the way it is in the real world that we are supposed to be preparing them for. Nor do I thank people for doing what they are being paid for. But I do when they do more then what they are paid to do. Usually with a raise and a big thank you.
    The age old adage; “is the glass half full or half empty“?. Seems to apply here. I prefer to surround myself with people who always see the glass as half full. When I said “too late now” was because I hired someone. Though I am not so sure that person is going to work out. I will make no apologies for saying “ the courtesy of a thank you” because yes it would have been. Something that doesn’t happened to often in the forums. To those who said I jumped the gun because maybe the OP was too busy to check back fair enough. But the way I see it if the OP was really that keen on pursuing this endeavor ( definition of endeavor - try hard to do something: to make a serious and sincere effort to achieve something) it wouldn’t have taken 6 days to check back on their post. Lets be real, just about everybody has a smart phone and or spends a considerable amount of time at their computer checking email, Face Book, forums etc. I guarantee anyone that posts on this forum checks for responses as often as possible. Human nature in this day and age.
    So, the way I see it the OP was as they said “thinking”. Well, I don’t have the time to waste on someone who is just “thinking”. But in all fairness a lot things sound good from the comfort of a warm house and chair. But I do have the time for someone who is keenly interesting in checking something out even if it turns out not to be to their liking or interest in the end. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I am a jack of many trades and pretty good at most.
    My “advise” was not directed at the OP per-say as are a lot of my posts but to the many that read without comment. When I posted this to thread the second time it had been read around 150+ times, as of now it is over a surprising 700+ with only 18 comments. Mine being the only one directly answering the OP’s question. And the only one to offer an opportunity. And considering I am one of the few that does not hide behind a screen name perhaps what I have to say should be given some credence. I have done the walk and have earned the right to do the talk. Anyone that has done the same on this board or any for that matter should IMO feel the same and provide a link to their back ground as I have. There is a reason I “only” have a few hundred posts. I have precious free time, all of my posts take up a lot of it. But I feel an obligation to pass on my life’s experiences, understandings and to give a “leg up” to those who hope to make it their life’s work as I have. To pay back those who took the time with me.
    To those who understood where I was coming from, many thanks. I would hire you in a heart beat. But I would like to think/hope you are well employed or have your own operation.
    OP my offer is still open it was never closed, it is never closed to anyone that is “keen”. I never say to anyone “come and interview” I prefer it the way I said. I can’t stand to hurt someone’s feelings when they don’t have what it takes for me. I am a double Pisces. I may not be able to hire you but happy to show you or anyone the ropes and go from there. Opportunity has to knock at the door. It may not open with welcoming arms but at least you'll get a foot in the door.
    Last edited by gumtree; Mar. 1, 2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    Obviously Gumtree hasnt checked this thread in minute...
    Actually I did. And hopefully my reply to my detractors explains where I was coming from. If not so be it I will not loose any sleep.
    Too funny, I just got an email from someone responding to my offer. So I guess I wasn’t too out of line.
    Last edited by gumtree; Mar. 1, 2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: same as above