The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ROFL, well since my current trailer is 7', then yes, yes I would. I have 16 h Appendix and a 16.2" uphill TB. There's plenty of room in there -- actually the Appendix takes up more space b/c he is LONG.

7' was the tall standard not all that long ago....for warmbloods and everything. That said, I have 'short' horses, around 15h, and could only for 6'6" and 6'8" trailers in my price range here. I finally found one 7' and snatched it up! I'm happy happy. If I get a 16ish hand horse I'll feel just fine putting it in this trailer. I know a rescue that deals with alot of drafts and they used a stock trailer for a long time....you should have seen the clown car look as drafts backed out of that thing! And they were fine, though these were fairly short distances (under 2 hours at most)....
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Silly me, I thought 7 feet was the size that crazy horse folks were ASPIRING to. I swear it was, not that long ago. So am I doing the math right? A 16.2 horse is 5'6" at the withers. So we are cruelly asking our horse to spend some time with his head no more than a foot or so higher than its withers? With presumably the leeway to move an equal distance BELOW his withers? Do you not tie your horse in a trailer in such a way that his motion is more limited than the ceiling is making it?

Sorry for the snarkasm -- I'm just not seeing this as being an issue. I sometimes wish not everything had to be superlative. Are QHs relaxed? Well then let's make them jog and lope like they are half dead! Do TWHs have nice gaits? Let's hurt 'em till they REALLY move! Is a horse more comfortable with some head room in a trailer? Let's make an EIGHT FOOT TALL trailer -- better yet, how about 12 foot -- cathedral ceilings!

Sorry. One never knows how a topic is going to affect one...
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

6 members found this post helpful.

I have a 7'3 or 7'6 Featherlite and my 16.2 TB fits with room to spare. My friends 17.3 draft gets two stalls when he rides with us, but it is because of his width not height in the trailer. That horse is a tank. I honestly have no problem with a 7' trailer and I was pretty close to getting one when shopping by the Featherlite became my choice.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

i have a 7' tall two horse straight load trailer and just sold a 6'6" tall three horse slant load trailer. My 16.2, 16.3 hh TBs and appendixes haul just fine in either. All of my horses walk right on either one of them. The ones that are a little hesitant actually hesitate MORE going into the straight load taller trailer than the shorter slant load. Go figure. oh, and I also sold the 6'6" trailer for a good bit more than a paid for it, and did absolutely nothing to it other than spray a little spray paint on the inside of the tack room.

I have a two horse that is 7'8" and my big gooseneck is 8'.

My Warmbloods have pretty upright necks, that is just their conformation. In just a relaxed position they look like their heads are up.

I was going to go on a short trip with a friend in her 7' trailer. My horse walked in fine, kind of put his head up to look around and promptly bonked the top of his head on the top of the trailer. The door of the trailer also had a lip around the top that was maybe 3". So that made the doorway even shorter. He bonked his head on that getting out.

So JoZ you may not need a taller trailer but because of my horses conformation, if I don't want them to be bonking their heads, I DO need a taller trailer.

Oh, and my two horse is a 1993 and my gooseneck is a 1992. So not exactly the latest models.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

One thing we ALWAYS use is head bumpers when hauling. Trailer can give animal PLENTY of head clearance but some circumstance could have horse throwing head up suddenly, half rearing. Head protection is a MUST for our animals.

Even the ponies got head bumpers after seeing someone else's SHORT pony rear up and hit the roof, tear up the skin of forelock on a roof support bar. Pony needed stitches. I think wasps got inside and were stinging him, not his usual behaviour.

That is why ours wear the head bumpers EVERY trip, to protect them from the unexpected. They also wear neckropes, should they rub the head bumper and halter off. Horse is NEVER loose in the trailer to create a problem while inside.

What's the tallest a trailer comes in? anyone know?

I think if you are willing to pay for totally custom it can be the legal limit.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I currently have an airy and open 7' 4" Trail-et with lots of windows. It works well because it has light colored paint and lots of daylight, so it doesn't look like a cave from the horses' point of view. I have trailered thoroughbreds from 16-16.3 hh in it fine. I currently have an American Warmblood 16.1 hh and it is fine for her too. I would NEVER go any shorter than this though. Next time I buy a trailer, I am definitely going 7' 6". I agree with everyone who says that is becoming the new standard. It's always safer to have the couple extra inches in case you have a horse who gets nervous. You don't want him to bump his head.

Depending on the price point, resale on a 7' trailer isn't going to be an issue. The trail folks usually have smaller horses and the norm we see them use around here are the 6'6" trailers. We put the 17hh Amazon in a 7' with a dunce cap just in case. As someone already pointed out, length is the more important issue for us...I'd love to have the old Imperator once again...trailer shopping makes my teeth itch...

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    Depending on the price point, resale on a 7' trailer isn't going to be an issue. The trail folks usually have smaller horses and the norm we see them use around here are the 6'6" trailers. We put the 17hh Amazon in a 7' with a dunce cap just in case. As someone already pointed out, length is the more important issue for us...I'd love to have the old Imperator once again...trailer shopping makes my teeth itch...
    I fully agree with this. Around here a decently recent model, fully enclosed, two horse bumper pull with drop down windows will sell before hitting the open market... Regardless of height.

We have a relatively small trailer that has an interior height of seven feet. People often look at it and think it is small inside. However, that being said, I have hauled everything from a 15hh qh to 17hh warmbloods in it and they all fit well. My primary horse is a 16hh appendix, however, and he likes it just fine

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Turns out I DID buy a 7' trailer this weekend. It is a beautiful 1999 4-star, 2 horse bumper pull, with a dressing room and was a total steal at $5900. It was posted on Craigslist at 10PM. I emailed at 6:00AM, spoke to the owner at 10:00AM, and had it bought for full asking price by 4:00PM. She had gotten several inquiries in that time! My guy is a quiet hauler and I decided I'm buying it for me and the horse I own currently. My guess is, should I ever need I sell it, it will sell itself. Comparable ones on horsetrailerworld right now are listed for $8200-$8900!! So glad my search is over!

Congratulations! Not too many years ago, 7' was the extra tall height, lol! I used to have a 7' tall trailer and took many 17H horses in it. It was a little too small for my 18H warmblood, but then again, so were the stalls in the semi trailer, lol!

1 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations on your trailer! I have a 4 horse LQ trailer that is 7'1" tall and a stock trailer that is 7' and have no issues hauling horses in them.

You got an excellent quality trailer at a great price! Enjoy it!

congrats on the trailer!! I'm hoping to be able to get a new one for myself next year...

I just bought one today that's 7 feet, and I haven't even seen it in person. LOL. As others have alluded to -- it's funny to me that 7 feet was the "tall" not long ago. My 16.2h TB has no problem in the trailer I have now, nor does my fat, long, 15.2h horse, and it's 7 feet tall and only about 5 feet 7 inches wide (slant).

Glad you went with it and got a good deal. I cannot wait to pick up my trailer (a week from Saturday). It has everything I'm looking for -- 3-horse with weekender package and 6-foot short wall. Oh, gasp, it's steel -- I'm sure the majority here is against that, too
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."