The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tiznow for eventing?

Does anyone here compete or know of someone who has a Tiznow baby for eventing? I'm having a hard time pulling up video or pictures of any jumping specifically. I hear they have good dressage movement, but what about their jumping abilities?
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

Just bumping this one up.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

I doubt if there are very many Tiznow's floating around anyplace. His fee is $75,000 and I bet his progeny go carefully from one hand to the next. He's just beautiful and if you have one within reach get to know him and see what you think, then post pictures!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    I doubt if there are very many Tiznow's floating around anyplace. His fee is $75,000 and I bet his progeny go carefully from one hand to the next. He's just beautiful and if you have one within reach get to know him and see what you think, then post pictures!!!
    Yeah, it doesn't seem like there are very many in the sporthorse world.

I don't know any in the sport horse world; they tend to be pretty successful racehorses, so not many end up in sport horse homes.

I absolutely LOVE the look of them, though. Tiznows are pretty identifiable: he stamps them with a very "Classic" TB type, beautiful chiseled heads, long legs, nice necks, and well-balanced, often with a dab of white on the face or socks. You will commonly see them have short upright pasterns-- it always makes me pause, but they don't have a bad soundness record/reputation.

Classy horses with a look of eagles, athletic and intelligent. I'd love to have one.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

I'll give you my anecdotal evidence of Tiznow babies. I know 2. Both have super temperaments. One was in race training, but had a serious breathing issue. After unsuccessful tie-back surgery I helped the trainer give him away. Last I heard he was being used as a school horse at a H/J barn. The other one is Well Armed. Winner of over 5mil He is the 2nd most pigeon-toed horse I've ever seen. Didn't stop him from being fast, but he was retired due to soundness issues.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

We have a young one that is just plain stunning. Jumps, too, only logs, etc. for a change of pace but, holy cow, some kind of fancy.

I missed out on one by a day, a colt that had been considered a Triple Crown prospect until he decided he didn't want to run on dirt. He did fine in turf races, but was injured, and his trainer (Richard Mandella) gave him away. I still think of that colt and hope he did well in his new career.

Tiznow may be my fav racehorse ever. He had immense talent, and was regarded as quite intelligent. He didn't run harder than he needed to (jockey McCarron said he'd probably never been in full flight), and protected himself if he wasn't feeling 100%. He had a back injury in his 4YO year and didn't want to fully extend himself until Breeders Cup day. His trainer considered him something of an enigma because there were days he didn't want to work.

I visited Tiznow at WinStar, and he's a lovely horse in both temperament and physique. His offspring tend to have a similar look- standing over a length of ground, well-built, and athletic. I'd take one in a heartbeat.

I've heard one person say she though they tended to unsoundness. As with many TBs, I suspect many such issues arise with big colts that are raced young. As a group, I would not consider them any more unsound that any other TBs, and perhaps less so.

We have a stallion by Tiznow. I've posted about him several times on COTH, cause I'm just so excited that he's mine! LOL He is very similar to what others have posted already. He has a super disposition, definite dressage movement, and very classic and athletic. Our guy has only jumped a handful of times and he is super, super round and powerful--like jump you out of the tack powerful. I free jumped him one time just to see what he was like, and after just a few passes through the chute he jumped 4' like it was nothing. He has a little bit of arthritis in his knee (he was a 2 year old in training sale "graduate") so I doubt I'll ever really event him--mainly because I would chicken out cross country on the big stuff!--but dressage and probably some schooling type jumping shows and lower level events we'll be doing for sure. I have lots of pictures of him on my facebook, but none of him jumping yet.

I agree that they do tend to do really well at the races so it's unlikely we'll see tons of them in the sporthorse world. Our guy we are breeding mainly for racehorses ourselves, and him being fun and talented under saddle are just a bonus for me, since I believe all stallions should have a job outside of breeding if they are physically and emotionally able to.

Sheila

PS If you want to see my guy, here's some pictures of him on Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6450921&type=3
    https://www.facebook.com/sheila.zelt...6450921&type=3
    https://www.facebook.com/sheila.zelt...6450921&type=3
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

I worked on a breeding farm in Maryland and my favorite was a Tiznow baby. This had to of been back in 2005-2006 ? Either way, I just remember he was gigantic

I cant remember the mares name which is a shame as I when I quit I promised I was going to follow the babies.

We see how that turned out !!

We have several, in race training and two retired now jumping. The ones we have and I've known and ridden are big heavy horses. I have seen more then a normal amount with tendons, probably because of the aforementioned confirmation. All have been better then average movers, high dollar horses, with good conformation. They all seem to have a little tougher mouth then normal, and can be a bit obnoxious, as the sire was. Both jumpers have a good jump, with a lot of power. They all seem relatively brave, but can be trying for your average rider. Our two jumpers combined came with a 650K pricetag.

http://youtu.be/AZbw2_dPMq8

http://youtu.be/WPg2ccK6nVk
    Forward is good

Just an FYI, there's a Tiznow on Canter MI: http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=224

Superthin and can't tell a darn thing from the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Just an FYI, there's a Tiznow on Canter MI: http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=224

45 starts for the guy, mostly in low-level claimers, but it looks as though he kept trying throughout his career. I like his pedigree a lot- 2 crosses to Lyphard, plus Ridan, Round Table, Graustark, and Princequillo.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post

I like his pedigree and he does have a cute fact...but you are right, really can not tell much.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **