The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Coat/skin, hooves and a vit/min supplement?!?!

Im looking into getting some supplements for my mare. I had previously posted about her having horribly dry/flaky, skin and her coat is awful looking. I was looking into getting her a hoof supplement because her hooves are dry and brittle and break off very easily and a vitamin/mineral supplement. I do not want to overdose my horse with too much of one thing/things and was wondering if there was something that combined all three of these things together. I was looking at buying three separate supplements and going that route, but if I could find something with all three things im looking for, that would be ideal. Anything that anyone has used and has proven to really work, please share!! Im open to trying pretty much anything!!!

I would evaluate your current feeding program to see why exactly she's in such horrible shape. Something is not working for her.

Then, I'd probably just add flax for the coat and hooves...cheaper than any branded supplement out there. Then find a good vit/min supplement, or consider a ration balancer as an addition to her feeding program.

Take a look at the supplements from HorseTech.

http://horsetech.com/

If you're on the west coast, you could also look at CA Trace:

http://californiatrace.com/

I agree that flax will go a long way for what you describe. I'm really happy with daily omega plus. It's smartpak's version of platinum performance, and includes the vit/min with the flax, along with some glucosamine and goodies for hoof growth.

What is she eating now?
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Agree - cannot possibly make any supplement recommendations without knowing the current diet and environment.

As always, JB is right but if I had to make any one recommendation, I would recommend flax.

What is she eating. My horses just eat sweet feed with wheat bran mix. They have amazing coats and tails, but they are on some supplements. I have 2 horses with not the greatest feet but they are amazing now. Even farrier can't believe how great they look. All of mine hardly get any feed because they stay fat on pasture and hay. The feed is mainly just to appease me lol. Anyways the thing i started using for their hooves is a plain biotin supplement. It is made by ani med and is actually very cheap but I've used expensive hoof supplements to no avail and this stuff did the trick. Even the chronic thrush horse has not had thrush in a year and he always had it no matter what i did, from the day I got him. Also I will use an omega 3 supplement for skin coat and hooves but hadn't had to use that in a couple years they are all dappled and shiney.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Take a look at what she is eating, chances are her hay or grain is lacking.

But, I would add whole flax regardless. Cheap and effective.

Another vote for adding flax, regardless of the current diet.

Make sure she is getting adequate vitamins and minerals. The forage she is getting may not be providing enough.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I dont know what your spending limit is for your horse, but I recommend SmartOmega from Smartpak. I noticed a major difference when my horse was on it within a month. Bright coat and healthy skin! Its only around $14 a month I believe. The best part is it prevented sun bleaching on my horse that is out 24/7.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

She is on a bermuda/alfalfa mix. She gets all she can eat. I unfortunately do not have pasture, but she eats all day regardless. She is not underweight at all, if anything she is starting to look a little chubby. I just think this mix is lacking whatever she needs. As far as the flax, is the oil the way to go or how does it normally come?

So she's not getting any sort of grain or concentrates at all? Unless you get your hay tested, it's likely missing something. If she's looking chubby, you can put it in a slow feed hay net to slow down her eating, while still keeping hay in front of her.

Flax is usually fed either whole or ground. If ground, it needs to be stabilized as it can go rancid quickly. There are tons of specialty equine flax supplements, some with other things added. I like SmartOmega 3 the best, but there are too many to name...Omega Horseshine, Glantzen 3, etc.

If you don't want to add calories, toss a handful of flax and dose of vit/min into a handful whatever binder of your choice (feed, hay pellets, beet pulp). Or if you cut back the hay and find that a few more calories than the above are okay, you can feed a ration balancer in place of the vit/min supplement. A ration balancer (like Enrich 32, Grow N Win, Essential K, etc) has vit/min plus protein to balance hay. You only feed about a pound per day.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I have a mare that had a bad coat pretty much regardless of what she's eaten - she's been that way for as long as I've known her, and I've known her for years before I got her, with three different owners before me, and she's always had a yucky coat - loses hair on her hindquarters in the summer, itches badly, etc. Her coat is always shiny where she has hair, and very very soft and silky. she has always had a thin mane and tail, but both grow just fine anyway. I had the vet check her out on several occasions and they said nothing was wrong, but to give her a vitamin E and selenium supplement. It made a pretty big difference - this past summer she didn't lose any hair on her hindquarters, and she was less sensitive when being brushed. Still has a thin mane and tail, but I think that's just her. She gets grain and high quality hay and pasture, so who knows. Good luck!!

I've had great results with both Platinum Performance and any of SmartPak's supplements.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I second the smart Omega 3. Has done a great job with my 20 year old TB.

http://hiltonherbsusa.com/products/h...ed-rosehip/418

I am having good success using this product.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep