The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse losing hair

First, Yes I have called the vet and he asked me to email these pictures to him, which I did this morning. He said he would get back to me but hasn't yet, and I am hoping he will tomorrow.

Backstory, I was gone for work for about a month, before I left I gave this mare a good grooming and didn't notice anything odd other than a lot of mud. (this mare LOVES mud, paw, dig, splash, roll etc.)

The barn owner called me yesterday and said she was losing some hair on her belly and he treated it with MTG.

I go to the barn today and she has a huge bald spot on her belly, and she is losing hair on her neck and rump as well. There is a dandruf type white stuff at the base of the hair and the bald spots have no scabby skin, heat, nor are they sensitive to the touch. These spots are itchy and she would love for you to scratch them, but if you scratch them, the hair falls out.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...93681062_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=3&theater
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

-gag-

Sorry, yucky, poor girl!

I'd get a skin culture ASAP to figure out what's going on.

For me, that is definitely a "Vet out, in person, ASAP" sort of situation....blanketing a completely bald horse would be a challenge!

1 members found this post helpful.

Looks like MTG blister to me. Seen it happen countless times, hate the stuff.

Laurie this started before we applied the MTG, and I have used it on her before in the summer on mild rainrot with success. The area has no heat or swelling and actually feels pretty soft for naked horse skin. Although, now that I think about it, I have't seen to much naked horse skin so I am not sure what it should feel like to the touch.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

We had that happen to two horses that were on Equioxx. Didn't happen before they took it, went away after they stopped. Just sayin'...

I blistered a horse almost that bad with fly spray once, lots of things can do it. It isn't necessarily what the problem is but looks blistered to me. Hope it is something that simple to fix.

Just an update, today brought more hair loss, now on the chest and neck along with more along the belly. She also had swelling in her front right leg from the knee to the chest.
    The vet will be out in the morning to draw blood and do a skin scraping. He is not sure but is concerned that there is something more systemic going on. I will update as I know more.
    Thanks for all of your suggestions.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Is she on any medications? Supplements? Selenium? (overdose of selenium will do this)

I had a gelding that started losing hair all over his body with the exception of mane and tail. You could grab a section of hair and everything down to the skin would peel off. It looked like I took a razor blade and shaved him bald. The skin was a little dry, but that was it. I was working for a repro vet at the time who was completed stumped but had colleague come out to look at my horse. That vet diagnosed him with an infection of the hair follicle. We gave the horse 30 days of SMZs. During treatment he stopped losing hair and when everything grew back, he looked great. Interesting thing is, my horse's issue was probably around this same time of year.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

Meadow she is on no medications or supplements. Nothing has changed and she is actually due for her worming at the end of the month so she hasn't been given wormer recently. She has access to a mineral salt block, free access to grass/timothy hay and gets about 3/4 of a pound of 11% sweet feed twice a day. Her feed did change about a month ago when the barn owner was having a hard time with the mill being inconsistent about pellets, so he switched to legends sweet feed.
    Redryder, that sounds pretty similar to what is going on with my mare, there is a dandruff like scurff on the ends of the hair follicles and it literally peals off of her. She is very itchy, and now stiff on the front leg that is swollen. I am anxious (this is putting it mildly) for the vet to get here tomorrow.
    I have stopped the MTG or any other type of treatment until he gets here tomorrow for fear that I will make it worse.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Keep us updated on how she's doing! Is she in a pasture with access to grass, perhaps ate a random weed and having an allergic reaction? could a kid have accidentally fed her something when she was up in a stall? or fed her a handful of grass with a stray weed in it? Hope you figure out what's wrong, that's gross looking...

It looks like a fungus, but some medications can cause something that looks similar so that's why I asked.

Let us know what your vet thinks.

The vet was out and he thinks its bacteial, but could be fungal. He took skin scrapings but decided against taking any blood. Her whole rf was swollen this morning and her lf was starting to swell. He put her on arthamyacin(IM) twice a day for 4 days and once a day for 3. Seven days of an oral fungicide and we are washing her with a dermacloth once a day for 8 days.
    I felt like he covered most of his bases until we see what grows in the petri dish. He said if the swelling hasn't gone down by tomorrow evening to let him know.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

I'd be headed to the vet school for more vets to look at it and maybe get a skin biopsy. That is pretty odd looking and I would worry that you have something unusual.

Any update? We went to the barn tonight and were greated with a large (not that large) bald spot on the neck. I called the vet and left a message then doused it with anti-fungal powder.
    Sayeth Traum:
    I hate it when I injury myself trying to do something unspecified

Yes, updates please.

Why would he decide against drawing blood?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

My gleding has been losing hair similarly for the past 10 years. He has a VERY thick coat and he has spots where you can grab (brush) a section and it falls out in clumps. Baby soft smooth skin underneath with a bit of dandruff. We have drawn blood, done skin biopsies and scrapings, tried different feeds, different medications, different shampoos... Nothing helps. Univ of TN Vet School finally said they didn't think there was anything I could do to make it better and that it would probably get worse. It doesn't seem to bother him. It happens every year like clock work - not long after Christmas. I clip him and blanket him - Keep him confortable. Hope you find something to help your girl.

It didn't look quite like that, but when my heart horse got older, she would shed literally in clumps. She would basically go completely bald before her summer coat would come back in. They never found anything odd that would cause it, did blood work, etc. I wish I had some photos to compare it to, but it sounds like what you are describing (without the swelling - could that be unrelated?).

Default Update w/diagnosis

Well the vet was waiting for something to grow or not. In this case not. We did get the swelling in her legs down but her coat continues to fall out. I spoke to the vet again today, and he said the slide shows a little bit of possible growth but no color change so he is doubtful that we will have any growth.

He believes this is an immune suppresion disease called Alopecia Areata. There is no cure, only supportive care. So she will be on predisilone for about 2 months, and then he recommended a immune system supplement. Our next hurdle will probably be laminitis, from the steriods or the disease. Hopefully she will recover from this episode and we can get her on some of the supplements and avoid to many other complications. The good news is that she was a pasture puff before, and will continue on as what we lovingly refer to as "big dog" status.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of disease? I know I got a few PM's about a similar disease

Here are some pictures from today

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=1&theater

Railgirl.blogspot.com