The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Eventing in California

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum
    I am also new to eventing. Right now I'm trying to plan my show schedule but have only been to a couple of the venues in Calfornia so that's making it difficult. I've asked my trainer and her students, they pick what shows they do based on how good the restaurants are and what there is to do off the show grounds so they weren't much help.
    What are your favorite venues and why? Least favorite and why? If possible could you rank the venues from favorite to least favorite.
    To make it easier here's a list:
    Fresno County Horse Park
    Galway downs
    Twin Rivers
    Flintridge
    3 Day Ranch
    Woodside
    Copper Meadows
    Shepherd Ranch

Of the events I have been to Woodside was my favorite. Well organized, nice facilities, friendly atmosphere, nice cross country course. What I didn't like is that the hotels are expensive.
    My trainer doesn't go to many events anymore so I will be on my own most of the time. Any advice?
    ETA: this might sound like a silly question but do any of the show grounds have showers? I don't have a living quarters trailer and would rather stay on site than at a hotel. When I showed Western some of the venues had on site showers, nothing fancy but it got the job done and we got to stay close to the horses.

I'm going to leave FCHP off my list for now. The new owner of the facility is in the process of upgrading much of the facility, so it would be unfair to rank it as of yet. Also, leaving off Flintridge since I have only been there for their hunter/jumper shows. It really isn't a large event though. Three Day Ranch has also, unfortunately, closed down. There are rumors of a new event starting up south of Sacramento, though, either this year or next.

Galway Downs
    Twin Rivers
    Woodside
    Copper Meadows
    Shepherd Ranch

The big ones that everyone goes to are Galway Downs, Twin and Woodside, which are also the events that have FEI divisions as well. Just FYI, both Woodside & Galway are run by Robert Kellerhouse while Twin is run by the Baxter family. Copper Meadows is run by the Atkinsons and the Sextons run Shepherd Ranch.

As for showers, Galway does. Twin Rivers & Shepherd do not. I don't know about Woodside or Copper, but they may.

Thank you

Also one other question. What is the footing typically like at these venues on the cross country courses? Studs necessary or not basically. My horse goes barefoot because he's a shoe pulling demon so if studs are needed ill have to have shoes put on just before.

Twin Rivers does have showers and allows camping, as does Ram Tap (not sure what's changed now that its FCHP!). Woodside does not allow tents and the showers are for boarders only. Warning: the showers at Galway are quite gross, so bring your flip flops!

I adore the people at Twin Rivers, but I only go to the winter and spring shows, as its usually 100+ degrees at the Septembet show.

FCHP has simply wonderful cross country courses: varied terrain, questions that change from one show to the next, inviting and fair.

Woodside is very well run, but in the last few years has felt so incredibly crowded in stabling and warm up. Still a top notch event.

Another place that is wonderful is Eventful Acres, which runs unrecognized events. A great place to move up if you want a possitive, progressive run on cross country. The show jumping is usually pretty tough, however.

You shouldn't need studs anywhere, unless you go to Galway when they use the grass field for show jumping, or Eventful Acres at training and up. Everywhere else is groomed dirt or sand tracks.

Enjoy your season!

Thank you!

Eventful Acres, although unrecognized, is a nice event and set in a very pretty place. It's fully set up for camping, with showers and such. Studs are usually good idea since some dressage and XC is on turf.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you