The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to keep hay away from fat mini donkey?

So I made the decision to move Rory and the infamous Odie to a different barn with indoors, trainers, etc. I love our current barn, and we're going to be keeping two other horses there, but with no lights, no indoor, in the PNW...it means I haven't even sat on my horse in a month or more now .

Where they are now, Rory and Odie share a stall. There is one of those wooden things that slide down into the corner to block off where the hay goes, so that Odie can't get to it. Before this, Odie stood in the hay and hoovered it up.

At the new barn, they will still be sharing a stall, which is great, but no hay racks or mangers, hay goes on the floor in the corner. What are my options? I think maybe doubling up two hay nets, or getting a nibble net, would work?? Only I worry about Odie getting his little feet stuck if he tries to rear up and eat out of it? Maybe if I hang it real low? He rears up now and puts his knees on the wall in order to see over the solid wood part of the wall when Rory is in the barn aisle.

I've heard of people putting nibble nets on the ground, would that work? How small are these holes?? I'm sure someone will crap all over it, but it obviously doesn't bother Rory because I found crap in the corner feeder last week that had obviously been there a while and the BO hadn't seen it, and Rory was eating hay off it .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Could you hang a slow feed hay net up higher than Odie can reach? Then scraps will fall to the ground and he could eat those...

I don't have any suggestions you haven't thought of... I just wanted to say (for the millionth time) that your donkey is stinkin' CUTE!!!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

1 members found this post helpful.

It would be messy but effective: hang a hay net OUTSIDE the stall, if you have a Dutch door (or can configure the stall that way) where the big horse can reach out but the little one can't.
    Click here before you buy.

I use a low hung NibbleNet with my mini mule and haven't any issues with her getting caught in it. I have an easy time limiting her hay because Digger doesn't like to share and so she gets her hay in her own stall (board at Digger's chest height keeps him out. His NibbleNet is currently hung so the top is at 6', mostly just because it was the easiest way to hang it. Of course, she is clean up crew in his stall any time he leaves it with food in it.

If I was trying to give her less hay in your situation? I'd take away her hay net and Digger's a bit higher where she couldn't reach it leaving her to eat his scraps.

Your donkey is so adorable, and seems to have enough personality for 5! Unfortunately I have no advice as I am quite ashamed to admit that my donkeys are fatter than yours

Thanks everyone! He's a stinker. I worry about him getting too chubby, esp as tiny as he is. I like the idea of putting the hay net outside the stall, except this barn has the diamond shaped wire over the solid portion of the stall. Keep the ideas coming. I don't want it to be such a PITA that whoever feeds just says "eff it" and tosses the hay in.

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Can you install a feeder like the other barn had? I have huge plastic mangers in the corner of my stalls ( http://www.highcountryplastics.com/b...urefeeders.htm ). Not sure if that would work--but they hold plenty of hay and are easy to install and remove.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I'd have to ask if I could install something, it's a nicer barn, kinda has a reputation for being hoighty toighty, so they may not let me put holes in the wall.

A grazing muzzle with a slightly larger hole - an old worn one works well. We used to do this for my mom's donkey when we spread hay outside for the horse. With a little practice she had no problem eating enough hay through the muzzle.

Christa

A nibblenet or small hole net plus a muzzle mostly thwarts my SFP (superfat pony). she is still able to get enough to stay remarkably fat, but I think she could do that on air.

A hay net hung for little donk at his height and a hay net hung for your gelding at his height should help solve the problem and in different corners of the stall? I know people who have minis and they use hay nets with no issues.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I only had to drill 2 holes to install mine--less damage than most horses cause! I installed one in a "fancy dancy" boarding barn, too, and they were so pleased with how much less hay was wasted by being peed/pooped on, that they installed them in all the stalls. You might start a trend! And, I think you need to give us a monthly photo update on Rory and Odie's Excellent Adventures because your donk is the cutest EVER. And cute donkey pictures are always appreciated.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Aww..cute pic. I agree, see if you can put a hay rack up.

I think you need to post more pictures. I haven't seen any of the others, but your mini sounds famous here!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I second the grazing muzzle idea. No need for a larger hole -- they can eat hay just fine through the regular hole.

Super, super cute! And he is away thinner than our donkey.

I've seen people use old water tubs-- the big ones-- as hay feeders before. Not sure if that would work or if he'd just climb in?

What a cute little guy, please post more pictures!

He'd probably just climb in it . He is tenacious, though after treating Rory for ulcers, he is much more interested in food and tends to keep Odie away from it now.

I'm already going to have to ask to install a water tub so Odie can drink (and I'm sure Rory will crap in it...). I am leaning towards a hay net/nibble net at this point, even though I like Rory eating off the ground better. They will get turn out, so not a huge issue.

OK, more cute Odie pictures:
    How we knew they were BFFs...they both like to "help."
    Sometimes even donkeys need reassurance.. (yes I know that's NOT what's happening, and I'm not anthropomorphizing, but it sure looks like a little kid hiding behind mom's skirts!) FWIW, he doesn't chew the tail, not sure what was going on here, a friend snapped it.
    Trotting Odie after he was gelded.
    Boys running
    The next picture says it all, I think; Odie was stalled for 24 hours after getting gelded, and we closed the dutch doors so that a. Rory didn't jump in or damage the bottom door by leaning on it, or b. Odie didn't try to jump out. So they couldn't see each other at all. Inside the stall, all the pee and poo was at the door, and outside the stall, all the pee and poo was at the door AND there was a lovely hole where Rory pawed all night. This was taken when Odie was first turned back out with Rory...

So you can see why I want to keep the fat mini donkey safe and healthy and happy for a while. His bestie loves him. Thankfully Rory is fine going places without his donkey too, or that would be a nightmare... I'd be guaranteed to win at shows though, Odie would be tied at the trailer and bray, everyone else would spook, I'd get the blue ribbon, yay me!

gosh that picture of him on the hay is just amazing!!! haha!! Made my night.