The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Used saddle pricing help

I think I will finally be parting with my beloved Pessoa (one of the made in England ones) as it just isn't fitting the horses I've ridden in the last few years. I don't want to turn this into an ad, but any pricing ideas? It is structurally sound and beautiful, but it has been very well used (and loved/cared for).

Could you PM me the details? I'd be happy to offer insight.

Is it the GenX? If so, I sold exactly the same saddle last summer for $400. I might have been able to get more, I just wanted it sold, so...

Check ebay to see what similar ones have sold for.

what model is it and what condition...

Posting the model and further specifics would turn this thread into a de facto ad, whether or not that was the intent, so please avoid giving out any further details. Let's limit suggestions to ideas of where the OP can research the info, etc.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

No worries, Mod 1! I figured as much which is why I left it out of my first post. I am looking for a general range, not down to the dollar.

sorry, it does depend... that's why I asked i guess the best thing to do is google the specific model and see what it's gone for on ebay or other used saddle sites.

I generally check current and sold ebay listings for a price guideline.

^^ that, check e-bay.

check with a consignment shop or a shop that buys/sells used saddles, see if they have any recommendations.

Definitely check ebay for a reference point... but DON'T go off of what people have the saddles listed for, as at least half of those listed will be wayyy off base and will never sell for the prices you see. Be sure to go to "sold" listings, that's where you see what they've actually be going for recently. It depends on model, age, condition, etc. If you have any good consignment tack stores locally, that's another great place to get a fair assessment most of the time. Good luck!

I don't know that ebay is the be all end all source of saddle pricing...I see things go quite low there or not sell at all, and ending up unsold isn't always because they are overpriced. People look for deals there, or shy away due to hesitation over buying online.

I'd put the make and model into google and check out listings at various tack sites. Consignment places will always be more than direct sale type ads, so take that into account (most consignment places, whether brick and mortar tack stores or online listing services, are going to be taking a 15 to 25% fee). Check craigslist, regional and national listing places (tacktrader, horseclicks, bayequest, etc.), everywhere you can find similar saddles, and I bet a number will become clear.

Good luck!