The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    Over the rainbow

Default Barns around Dover, DE?

This will be cross posted with Eventing...

I'll be working out of Dover AFB for the next several months and am considering bringing my guy up with me from the DMV. Original plan was to leave him home and ride only on weekends, but for reasons I'd rather not get into, I'm considering the temporary move. Job will be rough emotionally and I'm sure having horse therapy will be a big help, amongst other reasons.

Any good barns (h/j, eventing, multi-discipline) within 30-40 minutes of Dover, DE? I'd like an indoor and outdoor, access to some hacking, and preferably grass turnout, and excellent care. Board price really not a concern. I already spoke with Gambler's Choice and they declined as they do not take cribbers. I need to call Deer Antler Equestrian Center.

Thanks in advance for any inputs, feel free to PM with comments on specific places if necessary. Ran a search and came up empty; most of the options I find through the Equiery or DE horse links seem to be upwards of an hour away from Dover either in MD or DE.

HI there, I lived in Dover when I was in middle and high school so I know of a few barns in the area. I boarded at Deer Antler Stables in Clayton, DE which is about 15-20 min north of Dover AFB. There is a farm called Fox Den which is in town around Dover. There are a bunch of smaller barns around like Misty Meadows which is up by Deer Antler. Also, C-Line stables is about 40 min north of Dover if I remeber right and has a huge indoor and hosts shows frequently. Deer Antler is amore laid back barn. There are more fancy HJ barns up north in the Willmington area as well. Hope this helps!