The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help Finding a Used Dressage Saddle for a Shorty

I'm hoping that you guys might have some ideas as to where I can find a used dressage saddle with a short flap, preferably a medium tree as it will mostly be used on TBs. I'd really love a Devoucoux in a 17" with a 1A but they are hard to find.
    Suggestions would be great for websites or specific models that might work.
    I normally ride in a 16.5 but I have a Devoucoux Chiberta and it's a 17. I understand Devoucoux runs a bit small though.

I'm just under 5ft though so the short flap is very important.
    Thanks for your help!

You could check into a Stubben Juventus. It's marketed as a "youth saddle" however I found it very comfortable for me (adult with stumpy legs!) It only comes in one seat size (17, I think?) but does come in different tree widths.

Most dressage saddles offer a "short flap" option. If you are looking for used, you just have to keep an eye open for those. My old Passier Grand Gilbert is a short flap and i bought it from a private owner, used. I still have that saddle and love it. There is a Trilogy dressage saddle called the "Debbie McDonald" and it is specifically designed for vertically challenged riders. However, you can get any of their line of saddles made with a short flap.

Depending on your budget -- my first dressage saddle was a neiddersus symphony you can pick up a used one for about $800. I'm 5'3(on a good day) an have short legs and I didn't need a short flap. They come in 16 3/4 and 17 3/4. The saddle isn't deep so you can get away with a smaller seat size. If you can find one give it a try and see if you like it and what tree size you need. For my Thoroughbred that had high withers I had (actually have) a regular tree. My current saddle is a Trilogy Debbie special and I had it make with short flaps and because it's a deeper seat it is a 17 1/2. Those saddles used though are 2K or so. Those are the only 2 I have personal knowledge of though I tried may saddles in search for a new one - new horse needed wider tree. I tried abion, country and every other saddle I could find to sit in and the Debbie was the only one that I didn't have to fight. Good luck - if you were closer I'd let you try my neiddersus to see if you liked the type and what tree you needed.

Mostly any saddle can be ordered with a shorter flap, so you may just have to search around. Most of the used-saddle sites will specify if the saddle has a shorter flap. But one saddle that I found good for petite riders on the Tb-type horses was the Passier Relevant. The Trilogy Debbie MacDonald is another saddle that came through stock with a shorter flap.

Also, the flap on most saddles can be shortened to some degree; some moreso than others, depending on the type of flap and the block and the length of the sweat flap.

why don't you check at your local tack store or consignment tack store? there's a lot of them in my area and they always have great deals. i've always gotten my saddles through word of mouth - either at the barn i rode at or through pony club. someone out there would probably have what you're looking for.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Hey Hony
    Sandra bought the exact saddle you want from Patricia at fine used saddles .com for a pretty good price.
    I would get in touch with her as she may be willing to keep an eye out for you
    xo g
    http://www.fine-used-saddles.com/

Hey Clivers! Can you text me Sandra's number. I want to see if she'll let me try hers since I have only gotten to sit in a few that are too big. I was wondering who around here might have that one. I'm glad you saw this!

I am 5'3", and based on advise from someone of COTH, tried a Crosby Tad Coffin. I LOVE it. Flaps are short enough for me. There is one on Pelham now:

http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/saddles/Used15327.html

If I were you, I would try it. Price is certainly right.

If you can find a saddle you like that fits your horse you might be able to have the flap cut.

My old coach bought a DK and took it to have the flap cut. It didn't look like it had been doctored, it was a beautiful and comfy!!