The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    Precision may not be out of a trunk but it by no means has the best reputation. You can't simply add something to omeprazole and say it's different because you added something. The world would be nuts if that was the case!
    Shrug. We'll have agree to disagree then.

Regardless of your beliefs, the compounded paste from Precision is an option, is effective, and is less costly than Gastrogard. Plenty of vets are willing to write scripts for the product and I have not found it difficult to obtain.

It is not as cheap as the Abler product (at least the granules, from what I understand--I have not investigated the paste) but it is easier for me to obtain with faster shipping. And I like that my very sharp vet has done to scoping before and after to confirm that it actually WORKS.

Why are we bickering about legality, anyway, in a thread that's pretty much devoted to grey market omeprazole?

I wasn't really bickering! I only point it out because some people may read your point of view and then they ask their vet and the vet says no way. If they read mine, and the vet says no, they will at least know why and certainly can't be upset with their vet for following the law.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Are you saying that your vet doesn't recommend GastroGard and/or won't sell it to you or provide a prescription for it unless you scope your horse first?

If this is the case, and you suspect he has ulcers & want to treat them, just buy UlcerGard and administer 1 tube daily instead. You don't need your vet to provide a prescription, its cheaper per tube than GastroGard everywhere I have seen it sold, and its the same exact product/same exact amount of omeprazole per tube.
    Hey there SuckerForHorses,
    My vet said she would be more than happy to write the script for GG, she just knows that a month of it could run upwards of $1000 and she hates to see me spend that kind of money if it isn't ulcers. That's why we started Ranitidine. I do notice a bit of a difference 15 minutes after he has had his Tums and Mylanta so I'm thinking that the Ranitidine could help. I ordered the Canadian Omeprazole and was concerned about the 3-6 week delay for customs and was so excited to see that it left the post office in Tampa last night and should be here today! I'll let everyone know how it does. We have another issue with looking at GastroGard and UlcerGard. It contains cinnamon and I'm deathly allergic to it. According to Merial (the makers) I should stay away from my horse for however long he needs to be on it and anytime he needs UlcerGard for prevention before shows... (that kind of defeats the purpose if I'm going to be the one showing!)

Davistina67, thank you for commenting about this. I have had alot of people telling me to order the Canadian Omep, Abler poprocks or Precision compounded stuff. According to my vet (who is amazing), it is illegal for her to write a compounded prescription, and while the FDA has bigger fish to fry than going after these places. Apparently its the binding agent in Merial that has the patent, not the omeprazole itself, that being said, there is not guarantee that in the OTC meds like Gastroaid, Gastromax3 and Canadian Omep will get to the places it needs to and not break down. okay, that was the long discussion I have had with multiple vets, barn managers, racetrack trainers, etc... and they all say the same. I'm still giving the Canadian Omep paste a chance and I will let y'all know how my boy does.

The illegality comes into play because vets are SUPPOSED to prescribe the FDA approved product that is a proven treatment for the ailment they are trying to treat.

Compounded omeprazole, mixed powders, and knockoff brands are not FDA approved. That is why vets are legally not supposed to prescribe them.

Similar to primary care providers not "prescribing" herbs and natural remedies...if there are no studies proving their effectiveness they prescribe the approved drug or nothing at all.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by anmoro View Post
    We have another issue with looking at GastroGard and UlcerGard. It contains cinnamon and I'm deathly allergic to it. According to Merial (the makers) I should stay away from my horse for however long he needs to be on it and anytime he needs UlcerGard for prevention before shows... (that kind of defeats the purpose if I'm going to be the one showing!)
    THAT SUCKS!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."