The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AbGard- how effective and how many days did you give the tubes for?

Just can't afford Gastrogard at the moment so was thinking of ordering AbGard. Anyone use it? And I couldn't quite figure out how many days you were suppose to give it for. Looking at getting their stable pack

Use the calculator on the website and your horses weight to figure out the treatment dose. Do that for 30 days, then at least 7 more days at half of that dose.

Well, in about a month and a half I'll be able to tell you (and anyone else who's interested) how effective it really is! I had my mare scoped on the 10th January and she was diagnosed with grade 4 ulcers (several hemorrhagic and a few more not so serious)... she's basically a wreck! I'm treating will full dose for 45 days and another 45 days at 1/2 a dose, then rescoping. So by the end of march I'll have conclusive evidence on whether these generic ulcer treatments really work!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have used it. Let us know about your progress!

For what it's worth, not trying to derail the thread, but I used the Canadian stuff and saw notable improvement within 4 days. (Didn't scope, just based off attitude and more importantly DRASTICALLY improved appetite of 4yo OTTB mare.)

I had tried treating her with the pop rocks from Abler, but she didn't accept them in her food and it was a pain mixing them up with applesauce and syringing, felt like I was wasting a lot.

As a bonus the Canadian stuff got to me in four days.

Also not trying to derail, but another option...

I am currently using the Precision Pharmacy omeprazole/ranitadine paste on two horses and saw positive results by the second dose. We're now on the fifth and both horses are cleaning up hay and grain. I plan on giving treatment dose for a total of 7 days and half dose for another 7. If that doesn't do it for the ladies, then we'll pursue longer treatment, but this is what I have on hand right now.

A month of treatment dose for one horse runs about $250. My vet has done the work to confirm this stuff works (scopes before and after) and you can even get it via overnight shipping, if you're urgent. It is an RX product, so you need your vet to call.

I'm using it now. Seems to be as effective as UG. The shipping takes a while though so plan ahead! I'm doing a tube a day.

So glad I saw this thread, I have another one going on omep vs ranitidine. My horse had behavioral changes indiciative of ulcers, however has become downright evil in the last 24 hours. I ordered Canadian omep based on a friends recommendation, however vet said she has clients that use it and because it has a different binding agent it probably won't work as well as gastrogard, however she wouldn't go to the lengths (financially) of treating with gastrogard unless I did scope him since it can run upwards of $1000 for a month of treatment. What is this AbGard and where can I get that? I am hoping the Canadian Omep paste won't get stuck in customs.

Has anyone noticed dramatic behavior changes as well? Also, how long before I see some type of result with Ranitidine?

I'm off topic a bit, but I used the canadian stuff when my horse had his last flare to see if it worked as well as GG. I have used GG in the past, so I knew what to expect for results. The Canadian paste absolutely made a difference and he clearly felt better, but didn't get him where he needed to be so I ended up after a month having to buy GG anyways. So, I have decided that from now on I will spend the money and buy GG when I need it. It just works better for my horse.

Quote Originally Posted by anmoro View Post
    however she wouldn't go to the lengths (financially) of treating with gastrogard unless I did scope him
    Are you saying that your vet doesn't recommend GastroGard and/or won't sell it to you or provide a prescription for it unless you scope your horse first?

If this is the case, and you suspect he has ulcers & want to treat them, just buy UlcerGard and administer 1 tube daily instead. You don't need your vet to provide a prescription, its cheaper per tube than GastroGard everywhere I have seen it sold, and its the same exact product/same exact amount of omeprazole per tube.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    Well, in about a month and a half I'll be able to tell you (and anyone else who's interested) how effective it really is! I had my mare scoped on the 10th January and she was diagnosed with grade 4 ulcers (several hemorrhagic and a few more not so serious)... she's basically a wreck! I'm treating will full dose for 45 days and another 45 days at 1/2 a dose, then rescoping. So by the end of march I'll have conclusive evidence on whether these generic ulcer treatments really work!
    Please do report back, because I'm curious. Are you treating ONLY with the AbGard paste so you'll know for sure that if they are healed, that's what did it? Paste is just so much easier to deal with than powders and granules, so I am hoping for a clean scope on your mare!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by islgrl View Post
    I'm off topic a bit, but I used the canadian stuff when my horse had his last flare to see if it worked as well as GG. I have used GG in the past, so I knew what to expect for results. The Canadian paste absolutely made a difference and he clearly felt better, but didn't get him where he needed to be so I ended up after a month having to buy GG anyways. So, I have decided that from now on I will spend the money and buy GG when I need it. It just works better for my horse.
    For what it's worth, I had this same experience, although with a compounded powder several years ago. My mare just didn't respond to it very well, and we went back to using Gastrogard.

But now, I've had her on the compounded omeprazole/ranitadine paste from Precision and she's done just as well on that as on the real, actual, sell your first born to pay for it, Gastrogard. And it is waaaaaaaay less $$--about 8 bucks a day.

And I like that my vet has done the scoping before and after to confirm that it actually works.

It might work well for your horse, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    For what it's worth, I had this same experience, although with a compounded powder several years ago. My mare just didn't respond to it very well, and we went back to using Gastrogard.

But now, I've had her on the compounded omeprazole/ranitadine paste from Precision and she's done just as well on that as on the real, actual, sell your first born to pay for it, Gastrogard. And it is waaaaaaaay less $$--about 8 bucks a day.

And I like that my vet has done the scoping before and after to confirm that it actually works.

It might work well for your horse, too.
    I would think it would be pretty tough to get a vet to write a script for that.

Please do report back, because I'm curious. Are you treating ONLY with the AbGard paste so you'll know for sure that if they are healed, that's what did it? Paste is just so much easier to deal with than powders and granules, so I am hoping for a clean scope on your mare!
    I am only treating with Abgard, from day one. I am also in the process of changing her feed and added a table spoon of baking powder to everything she eats.

I promise I will report back at the end of March to tell you guys the results

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    I would think it would be pretty tough to get a vet to write a script for that.
    Huh? No, not at all. My vet is the one who told me about it, told me about the evaluation she has done of it, and called Precision to order it for me.

The other vet I use frequently also uses compounded omeprazole from Precision, although he prefers the powder and advises his clients use that instead of Gastrogard all the time.

Why on earth would you think it would be difficult?

Huh? No, not at all. My vet is the one who told me about it, told me about the evaluation she has done of it, and called Precision to order it for me.

The other vet I use frequently also uses compounded omeprazole from Precision, although he prefers the powder and advises his clients use that instead of Gastrogard all the time.

Why on earth would you think it would be difficult?
    It isn't legal. There is already an FDA approved drug to treat and prevent ulcers. That's why you don't see more people using compounded omeprazole and instead import the blue pop rocks from overseas. Vets simply can't do it, and if they get caught can loose their license.

It isn't legal. There is already an FDA approved drug to treat and prevent ulcers. That's why you don't see more people using compounded omeprazole and instead import the blue pop rocks from overseas. Vets simply can't do it, and if they get caught can loose their license.
    There is a paste omeprazole to treat ulcers on the market. There is not a powder omeprazole or a paste omeprazole/ranitadine paste. Since neither of those products exist on the market, they can be compounded.

Prescribing a compounded omeprazole paste, however, would be illegal.

There is a paste omeprazole to treat ulcers. There is not a powder omeprazole or a paste omeprazole/ranitadine paste. Since neither of those products exist on the market, they can be compounded.

Prescribing a compounded omeprazole paste, however, would be illegal.
    Actually not. Here is just the first thing that comes up and is something that has been talked about for years being illegal. I know what you are saying but ,,,,,,

http://www.rrvp.com/news/compounding...ealtruth1.html

Actually not. Here is just the first thing that comes up and is something that has been talked about for years being illegal. I know what you are saying but ,,,,,,

http://www.rrvp.com/news/compounding...ealtruth1.html
    This very clearly does not cover an omeprazole/ranitadine combination paste. Perhaps the omeprazole powder is grey area.

Regardless, I have had exactly ZERO troubles obtaining scripts for the above mentioned paste, and Precision Pharmacy is not a fly-by-night compounded operating out of a car truck.

This very clearly does not cover an omeprazole/ranitadine combination paste. Perhaps the omeprazole powder is grey area.

Regardless, I have had exactly ZERO troubles obtaining scripts for the above mentioned paste, and Precision Pharmacy is not a fly-by-night compounded operating out of a car truck.
    Precision may not be out of a trunk but it by no means has the best reputation. You can't simply add something to omeprazole and say it's different because you added something. The world would be nuts if that was the case!