The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ideas for educational seminars for a warmblood annual meeting

I've been arm twisted into chairing the AHS Annual Meeting for 2014.

In an attempt to broaden input for ideas for the educational seminars portion of the meeting, I thought I'd ask my fellow COTHers for some ideas.

What are some topics that YOU'd like to see addressed in such a seminar? Any specific speakers that you think should be considered?

Doesn't have to be Hanoverian or even warmblood specific so long as they would be of interest to such breeders.

Thanks a million. I'm sure you guys have tons of great ideas.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Not sure if this has been done before at the meeting, but I love Dr. Christmanns bloodline lecture. It is obviously Hannoverian focused but also covers some Tb, Trak, and Holsteiner lines.

Also, would love to have a lecture that shows videos of horses at young horse shows (WCYH, Bundeschampionat, Pavo, etc) and have someone (well trained) talk us through what they see and why each horse scored as they did. They did this (live) at the Bundeschampionat a few years ago and some friends attended. The participants sat in the stands with head phones on while someone discussed everything that they were observing....movement, use of hind leg, relaxation, uphill, softeness in bridle, willingness, etc. Obviously this is much more effective live but might still with with video.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

1 members found this post helpful.

Something the KWPN-NA has done several times during their annual meetings as well as some keurings, is having judging seminars where they have an "expert" judge from Holland and the meeting attendants are broken up into several groups. The different groups judge the horses in front of them on conformation and movement and then get critiqued by the expert. Amazing how much you learn when you have immediate feed-back!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not sure how many young professionals you have in AHS but you could discuss the international young breeders championships (put on by WBFSH). Very few people here in the US know about it but it is wildly popular in Europe with all of the registries over there. I went to the competition in France in 2011 and will be back to Sweden this summer for the championships.

Another thought... They may be adding a jumper breeding section alongside the hunter breeding section (at least this was a possibility we discussed at the last USHJA annual meeting). Perhaps that could be a discussion topic if they go forward with that division.

At the CWHBA (Canadian Warmblood Horse Breeders Association) AGMs several times now we've had trainer panel discussions. They go over great with the audience and helps draw people. The organizers prepare specific questions to start and then allow the audience to ask questions. We typically would have a big name trainer from each of the mayor disciplines to talk to "what they look for" when shopping for horses, tips for marketing horses etc etc.

This is just the sort of input I was hoping for. Thank you and please keep the ideas coming. I want to put together a meeting that people will enjoy and from which they will benefit.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Sonesta, it might be interesting to see what, if any, ideas and responses you might receive to this appeal on the Dressage and H/J boards. Worth a try; afterall they are the buyers of our 'products'.
    Judy
    Sylvan Farm~Breeding for Performance
    Ramzes SF, approved GOV and Belgian http://sylvanfarm.com
    USSHBA Steering Committe member

It may be helpful to have a discussion of inspection scoring, performance tests results, and breeding values, what these numbers may or may not mean, and how "breeding by numbers" may not be an effective breeding strategy.
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

You guys are great. These suggestions - along with suggestions via email that I have received - may give us enough ideas for the next several YEAR's worth of meetings! Thank you!

Sonesta -
    When & where is the 2014 annual meeting?

Also, as a rider rather than a breeder, would love to see some type of educational info showing babies thru under saddle and the development of these horses. All babies are always cute, but it would be great to hear what an expert sees in a baby and how that baby matures and meets those expectations.

And what different bloodlines, both stallion and mare lines, typically bring to the equation. All of the above ideas sound great too!

Thanks!

We don't yet have the final dates or location. Will let everyone know when we do. it will be in mid to late Feb 2014.

How about something in preparing your horses for the inspections?
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst