The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default AWESOME horsey novel!

For all of you who enjoy a well-written story full of horses and hounds, by someone whose portrayals actually read true (indeed, it was probably written with horse-people in mind) check out Karen Myers' To Carry The Horn.

A whipper-in searching for lost hounds has a freak fall that tosses him through a portal into a parallel-universe Virginia, peopled by a feudal lord reminiscent of Arthurian legends, his various vassals and minions, and his pack of hounds who just happen to be the "Wild Hunt" of old Welsh legend. Their huntsman has just been foully murdered, opening the door to every kind of castle-intrigue on both sides of the veil. Skulduggery, sword-and-sorcery type action, and you'll love the relationship George, the protagonist, is able to acquire through a kind of mind-link with his horses and his hounds. The author is said to be a follower of several well-known Virginia packs and she knows how to write her stuff!

If you are a fan of the foxhunting novels of Rita Mae Brown or of Star Trek or The Mists of Avalon and such, this is a can't-lose terrific read. Not wanting it to end, I just sent for the second one in the series, The Ways of Winter. Recommended!

(Disclaimer: I have no commercial or personal affiliation).

3 members found this post helpful.

Cool, thanks for the heads up! Sounds like something I'd get a kick out of. (Something out of which I would get a kick? LOL.)
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

I just started it, too. I borrowed a copy, and I'm sure I will be buying it and the sequel as soon as I get a chance. Loving it!
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

I love fantasy, and a good horsey novel, so based on what you wrote, this book is now on my kindle.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I'm on the 2nd book in the series, The Ways of Winter. The 2nd book is even better than the first.

Karen is a woman of many talents. She's a musician, writer, and photographer. She is a knitter, too. Her socks are awesome.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds good!

I just told myself no more kindle books this month!! But it sounded good and for $6 bucks I had to grab it. Thanks!
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    I just told myself no more kindle books this month!! But it sounded good and for $6 bucks I had to grab it. Thanks!
    Oh, geesh! I have no self control. And throwing the Kindle into the mix makes it all so instantaneous...
    Sheilah

Thanks to the Kindle App on my Android phone (sorry if that sounds like an ad) I was able to purchase both books and the related short story without having to scribble a note to myself and dig around to find it when I got home.

Thank you so much for the heads' up and recommendations ... I really need a respite from today's world right now!!!
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

will definitely check it out!!

Just finished the first two books .... an Excellent read. Well written, both in terms of story structure, plotting, and character development and in the portrayal of hunting. Her use of Celtic mythology was novel and inventive.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Really good book. I enjoyed it a lot.

I enjoyed both books. Thank you for letting us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    For all of you who enjoy a well-written story full of horses and hounds, by someone whose portrayals actually read true (indeed, it was probably written with horse-people in mind) check out Karen Myers' To Carry The Horn.

A whipper-in searching for lost hounds has a freak fall that tosses him through a portal into a parallel-universe Virginia, peopled by a feudal lord reminiscent of Arthurian legends, his various vassals and minions, and his pack of hounds who just happen to be the "Wild Hunt" of old Welsh legend. Their huntsman has just been foully murdered, opening the door to every kind of castle-intrigue on both sides of the veil. Skulduggery, sword-and-sorcery type action, and you'll love the relationship George, the protagonist, is able to acquire through a kind of mind-link with his horses and his hounds. The author is said to be a follower of several well-known Virginia packs and she knows how to write her stuff!

If you are a fan of the foxhunting novels of Rita Mae Brown or of Star Trek or The Mists of Avalon and such, this is a can't-lose terrific read. Not wanting it to end, I just sent for the second one in the series, The Ways of Winter. Recommended!

(Disclaimer: I have no commercial or personal affiliation).
    This sounds great, ordering it for my Kindle, thanx!
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Just finished them both...wonderful reads! I can't wait for the next one!

Enjoyed both the books, but not so happy with the short story. I'm looking forward to the third book coming out this fall.

Very interesting angle on the ~other~ world ... fresh and not TOO much dread about the baddies.

OH, and another thing I like about this book, unlike many of the "big" fantasy series, there are a manageable number of characters and not so much concurrent activity that I have to take notes to remember what's happening.