The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default what to wear for the jog? jumpers/horse inspection

hi all,

i was hoping to get some tips on what to wear for a jog. The jog/s in question are for NAJYRC jumping qualifiers in Southern California. The classes themselves are either grand prix or jumper classics(generally the main feature of the show). It looks like the jog will be on a day before the actual class however. It's sometimes referred to as the "jog" and oter times referred to as the "horse inspection", "veterinary inspection", etc. but are all the same thing, so its a bit hard to search for.

I've jogged for the hunters quite a bit, always just in my show clothes because it was right after the class. But now, for the jumpers, i was wondering what to wear...... I'd imagine something nice and professional looking, not just breeches and a shirt(pant suit??). Can anyone shed some light on this for me please? sorry if i'm a little ignorant about all of this, it's my first year going out for NAJYRC=]

Thank you!

I don't know about Young Rider classes specifically but for the FEI jumper classes I have jogged for (as a groom, not a rider, fyi), breeches, boots and a nice shirt are totally acceptable. Most of the riders just jog in their riding clothes.

If they are not riding that day they tend to show up in clean pants (if they aren't jeans its nicer but some still wear them) and a polo or collared shirt or something similar.

From what I have seen, eventers always look more formal, but I have never presented an eventer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

If your horse is lame the shortest skirt you have in the closet.

22 members found this post helpful.

I've jogged as an eventer and people really went all out for inspection! It was almost a competition to see who could wear the most white without getting slobber stains Any conservative, clean outfit is fine. Stay away from the jeans and ball cap look.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

For the jumpers I think you will look out of place jogging in anything other then clean boots and breeches, etc. As you can see its how they jog for the FEI at the Spruce Meadows Masters. I thought they had more jog photos, but I've honestly never seen anyone jog in anything fancy for the FEI jog in jumpers. Eventers on the other hand seem to get quite dressed up, which actually seems like a lot of fun!

Also found this one of Reed Kessler at the olympics....again just clean breeches boots, polo shirt etc

http://www.equisearch.com/news/olymp...ng-jog-report/

Eventers and dressage riders dress for the jog (professional dress, suit, khakis and a polo). From what I've seen, jumpers wear breeches unless there is a team uniform/jacket/shirt/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SlamDunk View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

For the jumpers I think you will look out of place jogging in anything other then clean boots and breeches, etc. As you can see its how they jog for the FEI at the Spruce Meadows Masters. I thought they had more jog photos, but I've honestly never seen anyone jog in anything fancy for the FEI jog in jumpers. Eventers on the other hand seem to get quite dressed up, which actually seems like a lot of fun!

Also found this one of Reed Kessler at the olympics....again just clean breeches boots, polo shirt etc

http://www.equisearch.com/news/olymp...ng-jog-report/
    I love the fact that Beezie is jogging her own horse and not having a groom do it! Is that common??

I'm not sure, but I think at Spruce at least, most riders do...or are maybe required to.

thanks you guys! I guess I was overthinking it=]

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    If your horse is lame the shortest skirt you have in the closet.

I have a picture of Lucinda Pryor-Palmer in a skirt and heels jogging a horse. Wish I could link to it--it was a great picture with the judges all agog--but it's in a book.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I have seen at least pic of someone (female!) jogging in a sporty looking khaki skirt.

I came here to suggest heels & tiara...for your horse.