The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I really like his bloodlines and the CANTER PA volunteer said he is a lovely mover just a bit narrow right now. His trainer bred him and has brought him along. I was interested because he is out of a Senor Swinger and the last horse that I had by Senor Swinger was absolutely lovely. Quiet, athletic, amateur friendly and just loped down the the jumps like he had been doing it forever. I just thought he would be too big for a resale project to turn around in a few months of time. If I had a lot of time on my hands than I would consider him based on what I was told by the volunteer and what I know about the bloodlines.

Jleegriffith, do you have any insight into his racing? My guess is that such a big youngster would take awhile to figure out how to use his body effectively. Was there any injury that caused them to give up on his racing career so soon? His record shows only four races, summer - fall of 2012.

He reminds me of my friend's mare who was a lovely show hunter. I can see him stepping over 3'6 like it's nothing.

Just a guess that they waited until he was a late 3yr because of his size and he appears to be as slow as can be Most people just stop when they don't show anything so I don't see anything in that record that causes concern.

I swear sometimes the trainers can't win with the COTH crowd. Either the horse has raced too much or it hasn't raced enough I actually like a horse that has run enough to have learned some discipline and see the sights but hasn't done enough to get a lot of wear and tear.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks! I'm in learning mode right now, always interesting to hear a perspective on the horse's race record and bloodlines. My first horse was bred to race but never made it to the track. At the time we thought that was a good thing (re: wear and tear) but in retrospect maybe he wouldn't have been such a fruit loop if he had spent some time at the track! Or flip side, maybe he was such a fruit loop they didn't want to bother.

At any rate, I wasn't trying to pick on the big guy, just genuinely curious

Ha, not picking either because really none of us know unless we talk to the trainer. Most trainers will tell you that they started them and gave them a few races np but if they show nothing than they are taking up a stall of a horse that could be making money.

I try to always review the racing records (free on equibase) and see how they start and finish the races.

I love his breeding. It looks like he needs a few more years to finish growing up. I love long slowly evolving projects. Hope someone can make it to Penn National to buy him soon.

OMG he's so ugly he's cute.

Too bad the only repeats in his pedigree is Norther Dancer. Not the greatest.

I will say to all of the gray lovers. If he were solid brown would you still love him?
    Fatten him up though and folks will think he's irish! : )

He's pretty far out behind. And with that long back? Good luck making it around the dressage arena.

This one might make a lovely hunter though.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

1 members found this post helpful.

IDK, I love his head.. definitely the irish in him. He'll make someone a lovely horse, no doubt.

Too bad the only repeats in his pedigree is Norther Dancer. Not the greatest.
    @purpl - not to debunk you 2x over but I would hate for someone impressionable to read your post and think he was not well bred. I have to disagree with you - this horse was bred very well. He's actually got some remarkable sires in his breeding: Senor Swinger, closest up, won nearly 1 million dollars. No small feat even for a KY bred - pretty sure he's still sound too. [IRE] El Prado was a leading sire in 2002 - threw some lovely horses. Allen's Prospect [USA] is also a very well known horse - lots of prepurposed EV horses are out of him.. and of course, Mr Prospector - quite famous for generous athleticism and talent. Of course, there's Hail To Reason back there too - not enough good things said about that horse.

While he's not my cup of tea (only because he's grey!) he is definitely going to be a very nice horse for someone and I hope they love and coddle him to death for those adorable ears and head of his.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm drooling more than my teething toddler. His awkward gangly teenage looks make him all the more endearing.
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh would that I could go pick him up. But alas until the vet comes out to confirm or deny my mare's retirement I can't buy any more horses. Le sigh, some day maybe.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

Would not hold his lack of doubled ancestors against him. I don't like to see too much too close or double to RAN. Even ND I like seeing once maybe twice pedigree and how close pending. They threw some great characteristics but there were others as well. Had breeders praising my mare for her lack of repeats in her pedigree, only one is Turn To. To each their own I guess.

Btw he is adorable!

Well, I think he's just lovely. Some of my most favorite, best horses have had clunky heads (including my current one). Put a topline on that boy and he will be absolutely gorgeous!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson