The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

So who knows Affenpinschers? I've ALWAYS loved those "monkey dogs", even though I am not a toy breed person, and was glad to see Banana Joe win the Toy Group.
    They seem to be very intelligent and active little dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    So who knows Affenpinschers? I've ALWAYS loved those "monkey dogs", even though I am not a toy breed person, and was glad to see Banana Joe win the Toy Group.
    They seem to be very intelligent and active little dogs.
    Ditto. I've never been a small dog fan either, but those little guys crack me up. Would definitely be among my very first choices if for some reason I had to get a little dog.

RE the fashion choices- I don't know a ton of dog show "pros", but the ones I do know are, well, like most horse women- they have a long list of concerns before fashion. I think we've seen enough "Help me girl it up a little!" threads on OT days to understand what I'm trying to say here.

We forget sometimes how lucky we are to have a "uniform" for shows. No such luck in the dog world!

Watching the replay this AM got me thinking about my next breed choice... I'll inevitably end up with a shelter mutt, but life changes in the last few years mean I really have to step away from some of my preferred breeds. Hopefully the current boy isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but it's fun to take a peek at some of the newly accepted breeds and broaden my horizons for down the road. I found the standard Xolo in the non-sporting group quite appealing.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

1 members found this post helpful.

Default The outfits of the female handlers are interesting.

Some of them at least. My husband giggled without restraint several times.
    And heavens to Betsy, I know the dogs are the star, but foundation garments are a good thing.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    We watch every year, but particularly enjoyed last night for the first AKC recognition of the Treeing Walker Coonhound, since our "P.D." (aka "Poochie Dog") is one.

As for the other dogs - In the Hounds, while the American Foxhound was nice, I thought the Afghan was breathtaking, & I'm not an Afghan fan. And in the Herding, I really liked the Bouvier des Flandres; much more than the Old English Sheepdog.

As for handler fashion - they all look pretty much the same to me. Men in black suits; heavyset women in 2-piece skirted suits. One absolutely horrid standout? A female handler from Canada who was handling one of the Nordic breeds. Our mouths fell open at her attire - kind of oddball decorated black 2-piece with. . . . just-below-knee-high what looked like scruffy rabbit-fur-lined black suede boots. Like something you'd wear out in the woods! I'm guessing she was trying to dress in some sort of Nordic manner to match the dog, but she frankly looked like a peasant woodcutter. It was truly the most bizarre handler outfit I've ever seen in decades of watching the Westminster Show.
    Yeah... You should never wear anything that attracts the judge's eyes to your outfit instead of the dog. I don't know what she was thinking.
    You are what you dare.

Ah, yes, the Norwegian Elkhound's handler's outfit! What was she thinking? Not to mention, It was dark grey, the same color as her dog. I was always told that was a big no-no unless your dog had faults you wanted to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    I will believe the GSD experts if they say the breed has changed - I truly don't know, although I am sure most breeds have changed over the years. But every year people wax on about "the better dogs of their youth" as if they used to all own show-quality GSDs. Sorry, but how could a person who watches one dog show on TV a year KNOW the standard and whether or not it has changed?
    I'm too young to remember, but my mother had (non-show) GSDs in the 60's and 70's, and she does not remember a way of going with those parallel-to-the-ground hocks. And honestly that's not what I see in the breeder ads in the AKC puppy magazine I just bought for the GSD breeders selling working/protection dogs. (Nor do the separate non-AKC white GSDs.) But the confo-ring dogs seem to have really, really extreme angles in their back legs.

Not that the older dogs were perfect. The last one had to be put down when I was very little because he was in so much pain from a congenital heart problem he was starting to strike at me. That breeder had problems beyond legs.

And I've had mixed breeds with heart problems and behavior issues--I still appreciate wanting to breed known to known and examined to examined. The only purebred I've had is my Corgi and someone was smart enough to know she was pet, not breeding. (Too big for the Pem standard and crooked teeth.)

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    Ah, yes, the Norwegian Elkhound's handler's outfit! What was she thinking? Not to mention, It was dark grey, the same color as her dog. I was always told that was a big no-no unless your dog had faults you wanted to hide.
    Exactly. We hardly even noticed the dog (notice how I didn't even remember which one it was - just that it was Nordic) because we were riveted to the peasant woodcutter outfit.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    dog beauty pageants are disgusting. Dogs bred to be displayed in this fashion lose their health, temperaments, original breed look, and original breed functions. You should be ashamed to "cheer on" this travesty. Real dog lovers cry after watching their favorite breed(s) ruined by this "sport", they don't cheer it on.
    Get a grip. You are so extreme about EVERYTHING.
    So don't watch, and don't come into a fun thread and $#>% all over it.
    You are what you dare.

7 members found this post helpful.

Exactly. We hardly even noticed the dog (notice how I didn't even remember which one it was - just that it was Nordic) because we were riveted to the peasant woodcutter outfit.
    I hope she wasn't a paid handler. I would be totally pissed if that was my dog. It's good to have something that stands out in a sea of floofy grey dogs, but that was not a good choice.

I just watched the mini schnauzers. The judge even tested his picks for their "terrier-ness".

I'm going to guess right now that either Banana Joe of Fifinator will win. (They're both nice dogs and the owners have spent some serious money advertising them.)
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I'm too young to remember, but my mother had (non-show) GSDs in the 60's and 70's, and she does not remember a way of going with those parallel-to-the-ground hocks. And honestly that's not what I see in the breeder ads in the AKC puppy magazine I just bought for the GSD breeders selling working/protection dogs. (Nor do the separate non-AKC white GSDs.) But the confo-ring dogs seem to have really, really extreme angles in their back legs.
    But that's exactly my point. My grandparents bred GSDs and I don't recall them looking like today's GSD either - but now that I think back about it....they were AKC registered but never shown. They bred litter after litter, and I am positive they did no health testing, or even "selecting" for better quality dogs, because they had a breeding pair and needed the money. I specifically recall one dog biting my brother (a toddler) in the face and having to be euth'd; and now realize that their next breeding sire was probably the son of the brood bitch.

It would be ridiculous to compare my childhood memories of what a GSD "used to look" like versus today's show dogs. If the GSD breeders tell me that their standard and/or the "type" that is selected to win has changed over time, I will believe that. But unless we're talking apples to apples -- GSDs being shown for conformation by breed experts; it's really impossible to know if anything has been changed or if it's the perception of "lay people" (myself included).

<<Snort>> haha, I agree 100%. Great descriptive writing, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    I hope she wasn't a paid handler. I would be totally pissed if that was my dog. It's good to have something that stands out in a sea of floofy grey dogs, but that was not a good choice.
    I'm guessing that she WAS a paid handler, because she wasn't announced as the owner or breeder - just as "handler so & so from Nova Scotia".

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    I'm going to guess right now that either Banana Joe of Fifinator will win. (They're both nice dogs and the owners have spent some serious money advertising them.)
    Well, I'm holding out until I at least see my favorite, the Doberman, tonight. According to the Las Vegas odds they showed last night, the Dobie was running as the favorite at 7-1 (I guess based on the breed competition).

The male handler from Vegas I think with the black sequined jacket was eye catching, until the camera caught him in the same shot with the judge, who also happened to be wearing a black sequined dress.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I'm guessing that she WAS a paid handler, because she wasn't announced as the owner or breeder - just as "handler so & so from Nova Scotia".
    Ugh. Imagine spending all that money to be there and then have your handler decide to play dress-up. Unless they were both in on it.
    You are what you dare.

Don't forget Oakley...I don't think GWPs have shown yet today have they?

I didnt like the GSD either, but I will point out that she did have a herding title.
    Now, if I could only stay awake tonight...

[QUOTE=GotGait;6832852]I hope she wasn't a paid handler. I would be totally pissed if that was my dog. It's good to have something that stands out in a sea of floofy grey dogs, but that was not a good choice.
    QUOTE]

Back when I was showing, I always tried to wear a bright, solid color that would showcase my dog. The bright color made you stand out from the crowd but being solid, showcased your dog. You can overdo it, though, no neon colors. The key was something that had plenty of pockets, you could move in and bend in without mooning the gallery and that didn't wrinkle or show dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Isn't the AKC pretty much like the Thoroughbred registry, the Jockey Club, in that anything bred AKC can be registered? Are there different registries within the breeds that are set up more like Warmblood registries?
    The AKC is purely and ONLY a registry of dogs. AKC is very upfront about that fact, that the only thing "AKC papers" guarantee is that both parents were also AKC registered and it is in no way a guarantee of quality or health. It's simply a registry. Period.

The Belgian Tervuren people and the Brittany people (to name 2) have a history of asking that the dog get more than a conformation title, even if it's simply an obedience title for the Tervs. I always liked that.

The German Shepherd people, well, there's a huge group who, although there are no requirements to do it, choose to only breed dogs that are OFA normal PLUS have a working title in either Schutzhund (now "IPO") or herding, and GSD herding is not at all AKC herding, not even close.

AKC has zero requirements for breeding beyond parents being registered themselves. They are very clear about that.