The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

1 members found this post helpful.

It was nowhere on our TV/Dish programing!! Bummer!! Is it replayed anywhere/anytime???
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsets View Post
    I didn't get the chance to watch Westminster this year, but I noticed that Fifi the Dobe was getting some love here. I caught the rerun of Westminster 2012 on Monday night, and she was in the running for BIS. As was a very, very nice GSD.

As a recent accidental GSD owner/lover, I was highly impressed by that dog. He was cool. And, IMO, did not walk like a duck.

I know the Peke won BIS, and he certainly had presence, but I could not help but laugh at his entrance. "Yes, I am essentially a living dust mop, but I Am Awesome!" (and slow)
    Yes, Malachy may be a rolling dust bunny, but he OWNS it.

I noticed a couple GSD's that couldn't do a turn and would sit back on their hocks and almost fall in the direction the handler was dragging them. Honestly, they reminded me of a kangaroo they way they sat back on those hocks. Fortunately, they didn't place.
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post

As well, a lot of politicking with the "grandeur" and glitz of the show ring and vast sums of money of course is just par for the course. The Affenpinscher I knew was going to win best of show because that was the dog that was pictured on the MSN stories before the start of the show, his owner jetted off to the Netherlands afterwards, and the quality of the Portuguese Water Dog has already been commented upon.
    Comments like this really demonstrate how people who watch dog shows twice a year have a very poor grasp on how it all works.

Of course there is politicking and there is a ton of it! However, the MSN story certainly did not snag Banana Joe's BIS. Joe, Oakley, Peyton, Fifi, Honor, Beckham, etc are dogs that are so famous that we refer to them by call name. These dogs have gone BIS countless times and get group placements literally every weekend for years on end. These dogs will fly across country in a single weekend for the right judge. It is elitist, it is exorbitantly expensive, and it's pretty flipping cool.

These dogs grace the cover of Dognews and other exclusive magazines that cater to show people and are sent to judges FOR FREE. The BIS judge new every dog in that ring and even the "underdog" Swagger came from a very well known breeder. Does it matter?

Westminster is an opportunity for the world to see some stunning dogs that show people have the luxury of watching ringside week in and week out. For many dogs this is their retirement show before they go to stud or go back to being someones pet. Despite the fame of many dogs, there are big upsets at shows. Fifi didn't even win breed at Eukanuba (but went on to go BBE BIS). In my breed of choice the number 1 dog for the past two years was beaten by a (lovely) dog from Canada. In several breeds we had class dogs (or very recently finished dogs) come up for big wins.

It is fun. It is exciting. Why turn it into some weird conformation bashing session?

7 members found this post helpful.

I gotta say, among the toys I love are the rolling dust mops. I want a Peke. (NOT a suitable dog--my Corgi would probably use him as a squeaky toy--but I want one.)

And yeah, I can say I wouldn't pick the Affenpinscher, but as I'm not a judge and I can't handle the dogs, what do I know? And I've had my picks win a couple times, like Uno and Stump. That year I squealed like a lunatic when the judge said "The Sussex Spaniel!"

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I gotta say, among the toys I love are the rolling dust mops. I want a Peke. (NOT a suitable dog--my Corgi would probably use him as a squeaky toy--but I want one.)

And yeah, I can say I wouldn't pick the Affenpinscher, but as I'm not a judge and I can't handle the dogs, what do I know? And I've had my picks win a couple times, like Uno and Stump. That year I squealed like a lunatic when the judge said "The Sussex Spaniel!"
    Stump was the reason my sister and her husband chose a Sussex, though they had to wait 2 years for a puppy (Sophie, just as sweet as can be).

Sadly, Stump passed away last September.

My dog's momma went Select Bitch in the Irish setter breed judging.

In my venture into showing my Irish (confo, obedience, and hunt tests) over the last year and a half or so, I've met so many people who truly love their dogs, do well by them, and breed them responsibly. I'm proud to be part of the dog show community, occasional interesting fashion choices and all.

5 members found this post helpful.

crosscreek - Westminister was shown on Dish - that's what I have. The first night was on CNBC and the 2nd night was on USA Network.

For those that liked the Hunting Poodles link, here are other breeder/trainers.
    http://huntingpoodles.com/
    http://www.harmonyhuntingpudels.com/
    http://www.lakelandhuntingpoodles.com/

Just Google hunting poodles.

StG

Oh, coincidentally, I had a long talk with Hound group judge Luc Boileau at a local dog show last year. He was hanging out waiting to judge and we fell into talking about dogs and horses (he raises horses, too). A very sweet man, we talked about the disposabilty factor on show dogs and he had a newborn mini donk whose picture he had to pull out and show off.

StG

Oh, I want a Sussex, but they're EXPENSIVE and the wait-list is long with good breeders. Right now a terrier mix or terrier/toy mix is looking better (Scotties and Westies are other favorites but their typical temperament is not a good mix with the cats and Corgi. Puff LOVES having someone more assertive to play with but the others are not quite so big into 'forward' dogs.)

I only just got around toe viewing some of the videos today. I like to pick through the Sporting breed classes--so lovely! I'm tickled to spot some Brittany folks in this thread--they've utterly charmed me ever since I owned one as a teen.

There's actually quite the sob story about my Brit--he was always, always with me, and actually 'protected' me from my stepfather, who was molesting me up until then. He didn't just deter with his presence, but would actively keep people out of my room while I was sleep. It utterly broke my heart when I ended up having to give him up (I took him with me to college and he went bonkers--sadly I could neither adjust my schedule or get another dog). Hats off to the American Brittany Rescue for doing what they do, and ensuring he went to someone who would, hopefully, give him the home he deserved.

I've been dogless ever since, but we're going house shopping soon and the first thing I'm going to do is start looking for a Brit to adopt!

Flat Coated Retrievers sure are charmers though, aren't they? Such happy dogs! I love watching their class. Grew up with Lab mixes mostly, and a Cairn. A Lab will come home with us too, because the husband is set on one.

Oh boy, watching this sure didn't help my dog-lust any. MUST get a house, because I MUST get a dog! Must!

(And a pony, of course, but well--dogs are a lot more feasible, sigh!)

My husband and I got a Sussex right after moving into our home together - the stars must have aligned just right, because we approached a breeder and they had one from a previous litter returned to them not long before. They were quite surprised we were specifically looking for a Sussex - this was 16+ years ago, and long before Stump! Java was a delight, and definitely a repeatable experience as a dog breed goes. She would jump up on the extra grooming table at the shop and greet customers. She was also very good about giving rotten dogs the stink-eye when they gave me grief: distracted them just long enough that I'd get nails done, or whatever else needed attention.

Check with the breeders if your are looking, and won't mind an adult - you might get lucky!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Beau_Justice View Post
    I've been dogless ever since, but we're going house shopping soon and the first thing I'm going to do is start looking for a Brit to adopt!
    ABR is a great rescue organization and we donate to them every year. I did some work with them before we had our family but had to give it up when my kids were very young...but I'd love to get involved again!

Quote Originally Posted by Emryss View Post
    Check with the breeders if your are looking, and won't mind an adult - you might get lucky!
    This is good advice for all breeds. I actually know of someone in my breed looking to rehome a dog due to special circumstances. Even though breeders don't always see eye to eye, they are usually quick to come together to help each other out.

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    crosscreek - Westminister was shown on Dish - that's what I have. The first night was on CNBC and the 2nd night was on USA Network.

For those that liked the Hunting Poodles link, here are other breeder/trainers.
    http://huntingpoodles.com/
    http://www.harmonyhuntingpudels.com/
    http://www.lakelandhuntingpoodles.com/

Just Google hunting poodles.

StG
    Thanks for the info...DH couldn't find it!!! Oh well!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    This is good advice for all breeds. I actually know of someone in my breed looking to rehome a dog due to special circumstances. Even though breeders don't always see eye to eye, they are usually quick to come together to help each other out.
    Eh, I've looked at things like the club rescues, but I want a young dog--trying to talk myself out of a puppy-puppy, but the previous four dogs (okay, technically, Molly is my parents', but I picked her out at the pound) were adults or even seniors. I really want to get an only lightly-used dog this time, I think. Toby died suddenly (he was an older mix), Molly promptly became Dad's dog, Puff is a secondhand dog, and Tucker is ANYONE's dog. (She's a Corgi. I think it's a Corgi thing. You know, "Hi, I don't think we've met. LOVE ME!") I really don't want another old dog. I'm trying to stick to "young" rather than "puppy", but not adult or senior.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    I think the "anonymous" comment was meant to describe the fact that the BIS judge has no idea until he/she enters the ring which dogs made it out of their respective groups.

I am trying to remember if the group judges also walk in blind, but I can't.

There is no way an active judge could be unaware of the dogs' identity. These dogs are heavily campaigned, which includes not just heavily showing, but also means that they are heavily advertised in the sport media (namely magazines) that are shipped automatically and free of charge to every judge on the AKC roster.

Believe me, the judges know who the dogs are once they walk into the ring and see the dogs in front of them. They have probably judged them before, too, and maybe even put them up before.
    Sheilah
    The BIS judge is supposed to be sequestered and only know what breeds they have...but when told one was a GWP I'm more than sure he knew the dog. Same with the Affenpinscher.
    For me, the big surprises were the Portie taking down Fifi the Doberman in the Group and the OES in the Herding Group, though that Group didn't have some of the usual dogs in.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Eh, I've looked at things like the club rescues, but I want a young dog--trying to talk myself out of a puppy-puppy, but the previous four dogs (okay, technically, Molly is my parents', but I picked her out at the pound) were adults or even seniors. I really want to get an only lightly-used dog this time, I think. Toby died suddenly (he was an older mix), Molly promptly became Dad's dog, Puff is a secondhand dog, and Tucker is ANYONE's dog. (She's a Corgi. I think it's a Corgi thing. You know, "Hi, I don't think we've met. LOVE ME!") I really don't want another old dog. I'm trying to stick to "young" rather than "puppy", but not adult or senior.
    I understand; I just meant that for people looking for an adult of a specific breed, getting in touch with breeders or breed rescue is a good place to start.

To be honest, if you want a "young" dog you should get a puppy. A young dog that needs a new home (already) is a little bit of a red flag. If you know that full background, it might be fine...but if you find someone looking to rehome a 6 month old puppy, I'd be wondering what went wrong...

Puppies are a lot of work, but boy does it go by fast.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    I understand; I just meant that for people looking for an adult of a specific breed, getting in touch with breeders or breed rescue is a good place to start.

To be honest, if you want a "young" dog you should get a puppy. A young dog that needs a new home (already) is a little bit of a red flag. If you know that full background, it might be fine...but if you find someone looking to rehome a 6 month old puppy, I'd be wondering what went wrong...

Puppies are a lot of work, but boy does it go by fast.
    Having spent a long, long time rescuing dogs - I have found that people give up on adolescent dogs often. They see the fat, roly-poly infant puppy and are completely unprepared for the teenaged craziness. The poor young dog is undisciplined and often emotionally abandoned before being physically abandoned.

A little discipline and structure, plus family company and exercise - and have a loving young companion!

Most of the time dogs are given up through no fault of their own. Sometimes there is a behavioral issue that may or may not be a relatively easy fix (usually fairly easy - barking,chewing and housebreaking issues usually are. Aggression and excessive shyness often are not, though. )

I wouldn't hesitate, if was drawn to the temperament of the dog, to adopt at any age. Best companion I had was a 12 year old Yorkie, once she was housebroken...
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

In my experience, a lot of dogs get dumped at the shelter or by the side of the road from ages six months to a year or so. They're no longer tiny, cute puppies. It's about the age they have to get licensed, and it's about spay/neuter, and more shots time. It's about the time the dog costs a bundle, and the time the owner realizes that dogs don't just train themselves.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White