The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    1500-1 Shiba Inu. I keep hoping they will get moved out of Non-sporting (where they don't belong) where they have to compete with Bichons and Poodles. I was so hoping the breed re-org would go through and they'd be with the other spitz breeds, but it got shot down.
    Yeah, I'd like to see our Cavalier King Charles Spaniels taken out of the Toy Group and put in the Sporting Group with all the other spaniels. I mean, if the Cocker Spaniel is in Sporting Group, the Cavalier definitely belongs there.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sail Away View Post
    Here is the video. The Elkhound is at 19:32. David Frey did say she was the breeder/owner/handler.
    http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org...13/vid:2625302

Oh my. I think the camera kept focusing on the dog only on purpose...every time they would do a full body shot of both of them, someone cut quickly to the dog only.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Its my buddy Greg Siner with the Irish Water Spaniel!!!! He's had 18 BOBs at Westminster in IWSs---go Greg and Claire!!

OOH, they just showed the Dobie! So beautiful!! *grabby hands*

I really should take a camera and photograph what I see come into a friend's grooming parlor on Saturdays. I see more poorly constructed, sorry little conformational train wrecks in most of the mixed breeds - extreme fiddle fronts, splayed toes (especially in pit mixes) cow hocks, soft toplines, straight straight straight/no angulation/slipped hocks and on and on and on...and to be honest, the internal health is not much better.

The dogs I see at shows are much more sound, as a whole, than any group of similar sized/type of random dogs...at least in this area.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow. I'm honestly shocked by that working group upset. I don't think there is a better looking dog and sound mover than Fifi. I'm not even a Dobe lover, but she is stunning.
    Well, good for the PWD.

I always wonder how obscure dogs like PWD (I knew of them, but most people didn't until the Prez got one.) and the Petite Brussels Griffon and various other tiny breeds can win at The Garden, but never a Golden Retriever, Shiba Inu, etc...

Banana Joe is gonna win it. I mean, who knows what an Affenpinscher is?
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    Wow. I'm honestly shocked by that working group upset. I don't think there is a better looking dog and sound mover than Fifi. I'm not even a Dobe lover, but she is stunning.
    Well, good for the PWD.

I always wonder how obscure dogs like PWD (I knew of them, but most people didn't until the Prez got one.) and the Petite Brussels Griffon and various other tiny breeds can win at The Garden, but never a Golden Retriever, Shiba Inu, etc...

Banana Joe is gonna win it. I mean, who knows what an Affenpinscher is?

If Banana Joe wins, you can be sure puppy millers and scammers will be looking for a way to take advantage. Fortunately, as with the Sussex Spaniel, they're comparatively rare and have small litters - one puppy isn't at all uncommon. (Sussex are hard to get and keep pregnant - my sister and brother in law waited two years for a puppy).

Shibas have really small litters. Usually 2-3 with 1 being common. But they're cute so the puppy millers have found a way around it by having TONS of breeding stock. They churn out most of the Shibas in the U.S. - most don't even come close to fitting the standard and have all kinds of health and temperament issues.
    So when I watch Westminster, I get to see lots of nice, sound Shibas and so does the public.
    You are what you dare.

What a terrier group!!! As I thought the russell, wire, and border got a piece of the pie!! I was a little surprised by the smooth going group 1 but Adam is a very lovely dog.

As someone new to showing I'm still totally geeked out by how many people I recognize from local shows. It is so different that the horse world where you only see big names on the circuit or select top shows.

I was pretty bummed to see the PWD win. Fifi truly is a sight to behold and I would've loved to see her in BIS.

4 members found this post helpful.

And Joe takes it home!! Reserve going to the class dog Swagger!

Well, I got one right!
    You are what you dare.

Why aren't standard poodles in the sporting group?
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Disappointing result.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I think Banana Joe looks like an Ewok. I really wanted the fox hound or the pointer to win.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

1 members found this post helpful.

I loved the way the Sheepdog looked at the judge on his last walk by. He watched the judge walk the whole way, and you could almost see the, "See? Look at me! Aren't I beautiful? Aren't you going to pin me first?" thoughts going through his head.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

New at Westminster this year:
    2 breeds?
    The National Anthem
    I remember when the "theme song" was "Who Let the Dogs Out" and then "Puppy Love." Never heard the National Anthem before at Westminster.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I don't mean to seem catty, but, why do the women who are showing these dogs dress the way they do? I understand the flats, but is there a rule that you have to dress like a frump? Maybe there's a set rule about how you have to dress? The women I see handling horses in hand at horse shows don't seem to have a problem looking like they took some care with their appearance, so what's up with dog show dress?
    What I noticed is so many of the women are horribly overweight and can hardly even get into a decent trot with their dogs. Which really does not much matter when you are running a 9 inch high dog but the overall effect is really ugly, no matter what. Maybe they eat too many of the dog treats? Speaking of which what is up with them putting these treats to their mouths to get the dogs to look at them? Are they taste testing for Purina? I cannot help watching some of this because I am nuts about dogs but I do not know why I do because it is always the same these days, the weird little fairly useless dogs get the Best In Show, and I never agree that it is the best dog. Now that wirehaired dachshund, that is a sharp little dog.
    Last edited by Calamber; Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:56 AM.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

As far as the Old English Sheepdogs, do these dogs have thoughts in their heads? All of the ones I have known have been in competition for the stupidest dog that has ever walked the earth. As far as herding group designation for this dog, when is the last time anyone ever used an Old English to herd? They are no longer working dogs which probably relates to why I think they are big, hairy useless dogs, (about as much good as the little hairy useless dogs).

If they wanted to do real service to the dogs overall a much bigger deal would be made out of dual champions, herding, hunting, working champions and bench or show dogs. I have little to no use for the little fru fru dogs, not sure how you would showcase a toy's dog talent for the purse or lap.

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    Why aren't standard poodles in the sporting group?
    Because they no longer do what they were bred to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    The AKC is purely and ONLY a registry of dogs. AKC is very upfront about that fact, that the only thing "AKC papers" guarantee is that both parents were also AKC registered and it is in no way a guarantee of quality or health. It's simply a registry. Period.

The Belgian Tervuren people and the Brittany people (to name 2) have a history of asking that the dog get more than a conformation title, even if it's simply an obedience title for the Tervs. I always liked that.

The German Shepherd people, well, there's a huge group who, although there are no requirements to do it, choose to only breed dogs that are OFA normal PLUS have a working title in either Schutzhund (now "IPO") or herding, and GSD herding is not at all AKC herding, not even close.

AKC has zero requirements for breeding beyond parents being registered themselves. They are very clear about that.
    Bolded and underlined above - in Germany, having clear hips and a SchH title is required to breed and register German Shepherds. Just wanted to chime in! Very good, clear, concise summary of what the AKC does.