The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Westminster Dog Show Monday & Tuesday

It's on tonight & tomorrow.

Is the "Champions only" phase over? I just went online to look up today's results and I see class entries! I'm psyched. When did that happen?

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/

I don't mean to seem catty, but, why do the women who are showing these dogs dress the way they do? I understand the flats, but is there a rule that you have to dress like a frump? Maybe there's a set rule about how you have to dress? The women I see handling horses in hand at horse shows don't seem to have a problem looking like they took some care with their appearance, so what's up with dog show dress?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

3 members found this post helpful.

You can watch online today and tomorrow! I've been watching on/off today

Yes, they have opened it up to all class animals again, not just the Specials (Champions), though the breed judging now takes place in another location, not Madison Square Garden, but Group and BIS judging take place at the Garden. This is not the first time, in 1970 you only had to have one point to qualify, then you had to have a major, then in the dog show entries "boom" time, they limited it to Specials- and entries closed almost as soon as they opened. In the past few years, however, dog show entries have been declining, so they opened it up again.

Anyone else going to a Westminster viewing party tonight? I'm bringing some bubbly to cheer on the Irish Wolfhound!

Oh and the exhibitors will be dressed much more formally this evening, you will see some bling!

I know, sigh, some exhibitors did not get the memo about the need for sports bras when you are trotting about the ring, and comfortable secure shoes you can run in can be difficult to find, but possible....see past threads on this topic.

I have always envied ladies who show toy breeds, who can wear killer heels or easily find cute shoes, while those of us who have to really book it with the bigger faster moving dogs have a harder time.

I have no explanation for the general lack of fashion sense among some exhibitors, I hear you! But not all, you will see some very spiffy outfits.

I was surprised to see class entries today as well (obviously didn't read up on the show). If I read correctly, class entries have to at least have one major? I think that's kind of cool; I'd love to have entered my dog for WD at Westminster. Not sure we'll ever consider going as a special, though. A totally different competition, for sure.

My take on dog show attire is that there really are a lot of exhibitors who spend all their money on their dogs. I always try to look like a professional handler if I can...can't hurt to look good! But there are a lot of exhibitors who do look nice...it's just easy to overlook them when someone dresses really badly.

Yes - we're off to a WKC party tonight. I've made scoresheets for us to keep track of our favorites, too. My breed shows tomorrow, but it's a bad night for a party so we'll have fun tonight with these groups instead.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question and for understanding that I wasn't trying to be insulting. I'm going to watch tonight, and I'll watch for the bling.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I think it's a great idea to have classes again. So glad to see this. When I used to actually attend the show as a spectator WAY back in the day, I loved seeing the classes and was so disappointed when they went to BoB/BoV only. To win points at Westminster, or to win the Bred by Exhibitor class, was such a thrill.

Could be they have to have a major, didn't read up on it since it I wasn't planning on entering. We have four very nice specials here who might be competitive, but having shown there once upon a time, I was not eager to repeat the experience.

Yes the "Fashion Fails" do tend to stick in one's mind, though I've seen so many it takes a lot to get my attention. There is even a website, or maybeit is a Facebook page, dedicated to exhibitors wearing unfortunate dog show outfits.

Wow, scoresheets! You are certainly intense about it! We will just gossip, critique, and enjoy!

......and drink champagne!

Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    Wow, scoresheets! You are certainly intense about it! We will just gossip, critique, and enjoy!
    Nah, it's because we have the kids who won't know all the breeds. I just copied the group page from akc.org and pasted into a word document. It was easier than I thought it would be...so now we can circle or make comments while we watch and try to guess the winners. (haha, my dh always says "I picked him, yes I did! You just must have missed it!")

If we were intense we'd be laying side bets. Maybe next year!

Go ACDs!! So nice to see Boss at the top, he's a nice moving dog but that bitch that won Best of Opposite is a looker too!

Love watching the dogs, just wish the handlers could get on board, at least with fashion, I know the shoes have to be functional.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

dog beauty pageants are disgusting. Dogs bred to be displayed in this fashion lose their health, temperaments, original breed look, and original breed functions. You should be ashamed to "cheer on" this travesty. Real dog lovers cry after watching their favorite breed(s) ruined by this "sport", they don't cheer it on.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wendy, Wendy, Wendy ..... I can't put into words, but I am going to watch.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow Wendy. I'll make sure to pass that along to the ACD breeders I know. Their dogs are quit healthy, actually above average for the breed (90th percentile PennHip for example) and are still working and agility dogs outside the ring. So sad to hear the breed is "ruined".

Mostly I'm thrilled that the ACD will possibly get more recognition, and if one BYB around here realizes they're actually supposed to have tails and quits docking I will be estatic.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

I have a question concerning the judges. I know the dogs are supposed to be "anonymous", but are they really? I mean, when you have a dog who's racked up near-record numbers of BIS wins, isn't it more or less clear to the judge who they're looking at?

In 2010 - did the judge really not know that Stump was the Sussex in the ring? That dog is almost a legend.

Anonymous my ass! Why do you think owners pay HUGE amounts for full page ads in the various show magazines with big pictures of the dog and prominent thanks to the judges who've put the dog up recently. In effect, HERE'S the dog; HERE are the judges who liked him; and BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR HIM.

As to Wendy's comment, she is correct MANY breeds are no longer what they were and a breed has often paid for its popularity with genetic and physical flaws and temperment changes. Rough collies for one. Back in the early 70's collies had no eye troubles. Then the fancy decided the forward placement of the eyes like the Shetland Sheepdog made for a cuter expression. They began slowly breeding the eye away from the side of the head to the front and suddenly eye problems were everywhere. No collie today should be allowed to breed without having it's eyes checked. Ditto for many breeds with their hips, elbows, and hearing.

The tide is turning now and more and more breeders ARE educating themselves and testing their dogs before breeding.

But also more and more dogs are being bred period, unnecessarily.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    dog beauty pageants are disgusting. Dogs bred to be displayed in this fashion lose their health, temperaments, original breed look, and original breed functions. You should be ashamed to "cheer on" this travesty. Real dog lovers cry after watching their favorite breed(s) ruined by this "sport", they don't cheer it on.
    LOL!!!

http://amsc.us/photo-gallery/salt-an...age=1#category
    ^ breed standard champions over the past 50+ years

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...pseab361a6.jpg
    ^ my personal dog who just became a champion

Insert gasps of shock and horror about how different he is from the original standard....is that crickets I hear? Oh ya, every dog and bitch in his pedigree is finished, and everyone has superior health testing results.

My boy has intense drive, a fantastic work ethic, and can go from 60 to 0 and cuddle with a small child or nap with my cat.

I should be so ashamed for owning a well bred dog ruined by this "sport."

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    Then don't watch. When I want you to advise me as to what I should r shouldn't do with my dogs, or what to watch, I'll ask. Wait, no, I won't.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Honestly, I'm usually so busy looking at the dogs I probably couldn't pick the handlers out of a lineup, let alone notice whether they're fashionable or not. I just see the shoes.

Except that one lady with a tattoo of a dog paw on her leg, and I really only noticed that because Mary Carillo said something.

My Pem Corgi is very put out that the Corgi did not win the herding group. Puff is asleep and since he is a mutt, he does not care.