The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vent. Pastern Leukocytoclastic Vasculitis AGAIN, and when enough is enough

Ok, long story short my mare broke out again. This is the 4th time in the last 8 years. Several misdiagnosis later and after her last bout in 2009, I was suspecting that this was what it actually is thanks to an old COTH thread and google.

This is chronic, and horrid, when I googled PLV she is actually much, much worse that any photo on google.

She is also peek a boo lame from a totally unrelated issue.

My vent/question really is I'm seriously considering letting her cross the bridge. I know what is going to happen treatment and prognosis wise. She had a very hard recovery in '09. With a small child at home, I really don't know if all of us, her, me, and family can do this again. If she was rideably sound there wouldn't be any question about trying. With this being chronic, I know that it would be when, not if this happens again. So long term retirement is not really an option.

I can post photos from '09, but didn't want to in the OP due to the graphic nature of them.

Ow. Vent accepted. Like you realized when you called this a vent, if she's really uncomfortable and if you know you'll eventually need to put her down for this, then the adage 'better a month too soon than a moment too late' may apply.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

No condemnation here. You know her tomorrow will be the same, or worse, than her today. No harm in giving her a yummy-filled day and Permanent Healing.

((( Many understanding hugs )))
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Thanks so much for your compassion.

It's really hard for me because I bred and raised her. She was supposed to be my show hunter and then spend some time as a broodmare for her replacement.

My hubby, who is my unemotional voice of reason, and I are going to see her tonight as she is staying at my bff/trainer's barn out if the sun and the snow. We'll see what her legs look like when I unwrap her. Luckily were treating her a bit differently this time so her pain is under control. I do believe in the better a day early than a day late philosophy.