The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 101 Dressage Exercises Reviews

Who has 101 Dressage Exercises? Do you like it?

I'm currently riding training level, and playing around with LY, SI, adjustability, etc. Currently, I'm stuck in a 20m circle rut (20m, circle here or there, serpentine, figure eight) and need some variety. Creativity and use of my space in the 20x60 sandbox isn't my thing

Love to hear any reviews on this book. I have 101 Jumping Exercises and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks!

I have it and like it a lot. Training/First level is kind of boring, but beware not to practice movements from higher levels without personal feedback from a trainer or you will very likely develop bad habits from incorrect work.

Another more helpful book is "Gymnastic Exercises for Horses" by Eleanor Russell. I think that it is out of print but it is really excellent if you can find it anywhere.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

I love that book and should use it more often. It's nice to pick an exercise or two and make a work out of it.

Believe it or not, there's an ap for 101 Dressage Exercises. It is very convenient. I can pull it right up on my phone to refresh my memory right before I ride. I love it.

3 members found this post helpful.

I keep it in my tack locker and refer to it for new ideas every week.
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

Great book! I love that it's spiral bound and you can hang it on a beam at eye level for easy reference while riding!
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

So, for everyone that loves this book, what level are you riding? What levels is this book most helpful for?

2nd & 3rd, I think.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

I have it, but mainly used it when I didn't have access to a trainer for a few months. It was good for ideas, and basic concepts of what the exercise was used for. I got a little frustrated with it. It's been a while since I've used it, but to me a lot of the exercises were either too simple or too comes to do without a trainer present. However, I loved the pocket cards that tore out, and the explanations were good. I'd recommend it.

When I bought it I was training second riding first. I haven't used it in over a year now (back with trainer).

I enjoyed using it even at training level but I think it starts to become much more useful into first level - third level. I need to look at it again.

My favourite exercise came from that book. I think it's called threading needlepoint. I get endlessly creative with that one and use variations of it all the time.

I felt that a fair number of the exercises were cheats - not really deserving of their own number in the 101. But I don't regret buying it at all.

1 members found this post helpful.

RedHorses, me too! I have the book (as well as Jumping 101) and I feel a little cheated, as if some of them really did not merit their own number - most were replays on other exercises in the book. It was a gift for me one Christmas.

But, I have to say I did like Dressage 101, I got a couple of good exercises out of it that I incorporated everyday into my gelding's riding -- including mixing it up with trotpoles. It was a great gift.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Not as useful as I had hoped, wished I didn't spend the money to be honest. I have the app. I use the USDF test app a lot more in my training.

I love it, I use it sometimes as a reference book for lessons and encourage my students to use it when they ride on their own time.