The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default hunter trials

I have never participated in a hunter trial but I really would like to. What all is involved & also is there anywhere online I can get some info?

Thanks guys!

The hunt clubs I have been involved with usually run their hunter trials somewhat like the cross-country phase of a horse trials, without the time/speed element. In general, there's a set course over some nice obstacles in the hunting country, or at a large venue with hunting-type jumps (usually not the same as competitive cross-country jumps). There's a starter, a judge at each jump (or possibly a judge for several jumps if they're close together) and the horse is judged on its suitability as a real field hunter -- rhythm, pace, quality of jumping style without going overboard, control, and so on. Many trials will also have a designated point on course where the rider is required to show a "gone away" or a full gallop, often followed by a hard stop on command; other judged obstacles may include opening and closing a gate, dismounting, leading horse over an obstacle, and remounting; and other foibles that could come up in a day's hunting. Often there are different divisions based on jump heights or rider age, and sometimes there is one division for Pairs or Teams, who typically can jump in tandem or abreast depending on the obstacle. Lots of fun. Where are you located?

I hope I am remembering right, but I seem to remember when I was a girl going to a hunter trial and there was a class for sidesaddle. Once I remember a sidesaddle pair abreast. I loved hunter trials.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/