The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding south of Atlanta

My husband is starting a new job in Fayetteville, GA, so we'll be relocating soon. I'm looking for a place to board my TB gelding. I've evented for years, but I have a new baby and mostly just enjoy light dressage work these days. Good turnout is a priority. Any suggestions?

Will you be living in Fayetteville?

GDCTA Member Boarding Facilities. There are many others not on this map.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...9&source=embed

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Depending on where you end up living, Gigi Nutter (TouchNGo Farm) might be an option. Probably a bit far if you wind up in Fayetteville proper, but not if you were in Newnan, or Peachtree City ...

Welcome to GA!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

If you do Facebook, you might want to join one or more of the following.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/180663465277661/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/214251555329153/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/32247929748/

Newnan/Coweta County and South Fulton County are full of eventers, which is why I asked about where you plan to live.

http://shadyoakseventing.com/ is just west of Peachtree City. You might want to PM Freebird! She knows that east Coweta / west Fayette area.

Here's a decent listing of some of whats available: http://www.equinenow.com/boarding/fa...le-georgia.htm
    Why Eventing? Because bull riding only lasts 8 seconds.
    Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

If you like a side of trail riding with your dressage you might check in to see if Bear Creek has any openings for boarders. They have covered arena, dressage instructor that comes regularly and miles and miles of trails. Bear Creek is in Moreland and there are a number of other farms in the area that might fit what you are looking for. Welcome!!
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Thank you all so much for the suggestions and links! We aren't sure yet if we'll be living in Fayetteville. It is hard for me to tell how far away we could live and still have a reasonable commute for my husband. Is Conyers/Covington area too far away? I only ask because I've heard of a few barns in that area...

That would be a tough commute. Lots of traffic from Conyers into the city and overland would be really tedious as well. We have our own farm so haven't looked into boarding in the Fayette/Coweta area, but there are a lot of really nice farms. There is one near Senoia with a huge covered and good turnout. It's something Dell. Maybe someone else can provide the full name.

It's Willow Dell - http://willowdellequestriancenter.com/home, seems to have an HJ focus.
    Last edited by Debbie; Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: additional info
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Stay on the south side. TRUST ME!! PM me if you need any suggestions. I was a trainer in Moreland for a while and now I'm a little north of Atlanta. I also have the vet hook up in Newnan You shouldn't have any trouble finding a place though.

Yes, Conyers/Convington is too far. Take AUEventer's advice stay on the south side. There are plenty of good choices on the south side; there's no need to drive that far.

I'll third to stay on the south side, traffic is not bad in the Coweta-Fayette area, and it's smooth sailing on I-85 until you hit the perimeter.

I grew up in Fayette Co., and now live in Coweta. I would second Bear Creek if you want somewhere that has lots of room to gallop or trail ride, and has nice rings (including a covered). The Newnan area (in Coweta Co) has a lot of horse people and there are a variety of places to board. You may also look into Cedar Ridge, Diane Chestnut's place. They have two arenas, a round pen, and lots of trails.

PM me if you'd like!
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

Julie Burns Richards' farm is in Newnan btw. Becky teaches in the area too, and there are lots of good dressage trainers to pick from...
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

Are y'all dead set on living in Fayetteville/Fayette County? Personally, I'm a fan of Coweta County - plenty of barns to board at, the taxes are lower, and I love our schools. You have to be careful about Fayetteville. Part of it is nice, and the other part is....not so much. There are tons of great evening, and Dressage farms here in the area, to keep you from having to drive. Some off the top of my head....

Jamie Mann at WillowDell in Senoia (nice covered arena, awesome trainer)

GiGi Nutter in Newnen

Sandra at Shady Oaks (its across the street from me!)

Fox Hall in Douglasville - used to host the Foxhall Cup...awesome facility

There are lots more too - welcome to the area!

Does anyone have contact information for Bear Creek? I couldn't seem to find anything online...

Also, I found a place called "Fruition Farm" online. Anyone heard of it or have any experience with them?

if you google "bear creek hounds" that may get you somewhere.