The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Star Barn Thoroughbreds OUTRAGED

WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES IN LINK!!!
    http://www.abc27.com/video?autoStart...PPZRR.facebook

Images of the Star Barn Thoroughbreds. In 2010 they were Promised a life of care and protection. June 2011 two truckloads were sent to New Holland for slaughter, a small number were saved from that fate. Those remaining faced neglect at the hands of Barr and Truitt. Sept 2011 Cruelty investigation open against Barr and Truitt. Some are removed by former owners/breeders. Fall 2011 The remaining broodmares most in foal again and weanlings dumped on James W Houseman. November 2011 21 weanlings seized from Houseman, 3 die (2 from Star Barn). SB mares found with others mares Houseman in Thurmont MD also in bad shape. Frederick County AC start "monitoring the situation". Feb 2012 Houseman starts moving mares to Emmitsburg leased property. Has mares at both locations for a few months. April 2012 Truitt sends Jockey's Dream to Houseman for pasture breeding the mares AGAIN! October 2012 Jockey's Dream is found dead. Houseman charged with one count of animal cruelty (unrelated to JD). With continued pressure from concerned parties Houseman surrenders what is left of the Star Barn mares/foals and other horses he had to the Foxie G Foundation. I share my list of the known missing Star Barn mares and their foals. Foxie G also learn they do not have stakes winning mare Bedroom Blues. Foxie G visit both properties Houseman leased and this is what they found. (WARNING link below graphic)
    http://thefoxiegfoundation.org/pages/newshouseman.html

Discovered last week: One of the many skeletal remains found at the Emmitsburg MD property leased by James W Houseman III and the last known location for so many of the Star Barn broodmares and their foals still missing. Please help us identify their remains by donating to The Foxie G Foundation who are raising funds for urgent DNA testing. Houseman was convicted in PA and now he MUST be convicted in MD. On behalf of these mares please help us do that. Thank you.
    Last edited by maybedog; Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added link
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

Thank you for posting this, waiting for a call to see what I can do to help. I had no idea Foxie G had his own rescue, I galloped him during his racing career and helped rescue him (and indeed it was a rescue) when it was over. Loved that little horse. Now to help out the others.

1 members found this post helpful.

This aired last night. Scroll through article to video. Finally getting some media response!!

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/0...erick-co-farm/
    If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
    RIP Maybe June 13, 1993-Sept. 23, 2006,Dexter March 11, 1983-Sept. 23, 2009, Joey 1997?- June 21, 2012
    www.equistarfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by maybedog View Post
    WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES IN LINK!!!
    http://www.abc27.com/video?autoStart...PPZRR.facebook

Images of the Star Barn Thoroughbreds. In 2010 they were Promised a life of care and protection. June 2011 two truckloads were sent to New Holland for slaughter, a small number were saved from that fate. Those remaining faced neglect at the hands of Barr and Truitt...

...I share my list of the known missing Star Barn mares and their foals...
    Can you post the list?

OP - I'm a little confused here. The end of your post asks for donations to a Foundation for DNA testing and implie that it necessary to get the Haussman convicted in Maryland. It seems that if there are a number of horses that have been taken on by the rescue group, that it is more importnat to donate to their care than to use funds to identify horses that are sadly no longer with us... And as the article points out, the issue re adding to charges is HOW/why those horses died, not who they are.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

1 members found this post helpful.

Is there an earlier thread on Star Barns TBs? It seems as though I'm supposed to know the story there!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Sounds like a re-hash of Ellsworth and Tenney's neglect of some of their horses. The ones in training, fine. The broodmares and retirees....not so much. They let Swaps mother, Iron Reward, starve to death.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...79/2/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    Sounds like a re-hash of Ellsworth and Tenney's neglect of some of their horses. The ones in training, fine. The broodmares and retirees....not so much. They let Swaps mother, Iron Reward, starve to death.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...79/2/index.htm
    The ones in training weren't treated all that well either. They were fed, but they ran lame (Swaps had a notoriously bad foot) and were beaten for any kind of behavior that Ellsworth and Tenney deemed "bad manners". "Bad manners" were things like looking out over the stall guard; one journalist reported seeing Ellsworth punch Swaps in the face repeatedly while growling, "GET BACK IN THERE". The colt's crime was to dare to come forward and poke his nose out of the stall to investigate this new visitor.

Has a list of mares every been published?

There was a video of Express Lover foaling a filly in 2010 at Star Barn Thoroughbreds. The Youtube video is now set to private, and I can't find out any info on the filly, Cat Express. Probably did not end well. Her sire was Coastal Storm. Has anyone seen or heard of that filly?