The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chancy deal View Post
    The bulk of what goes into a rendering plant comes straight from the slaughter house. Rendering plant/slaughter plant... same thing. Little is supplied from owners who couldnt afford to dig a hole.
    Do you use leather or eat meat?

2 members found this post helpful.

chancy deal is offline Training Level
    Original Poster

fargonefarm, my saddle is made from dog hide. made it myself. I've got all these dying dogs laying around. Didnt want anything to go to waste.

The bulk of what goes into a rendering plant comes straight from the slaughter house. Rendering plant/slaughter plant... same thing. Little is supplied from owners who couldnt afford to dig a hole.
    And you know that is a fact because you read it in the latest HSUS email alert to their faithful followers?

4 members found this post helpful.

While the bulk of offal may come from the slaughterhouse - rendering plants and slaughterhouses are not the same thing. Rendering plants pick up all sorts of carcasses from several sources. Everything is recycled to the extent possible.

It is quite possible that your toothpaste has traces of dog in it. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

I find it hypocritical to demand recycling of all sorts of man made products - and object to the recycling of natural products. Like it or not, livestock mortalities have a use. So does offal from slaughterhouses. It's just plain wasteful to toss it all in a landfill.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

15 members found this post helpful.

no

a rendering plant deals with already dead animals, turns them into glue and teh yellow food coloring in Mello Yellow...

A slaughter plant deals with live animals to turn them into edible cuts.
    What is left and not used in hot dogs goes to the rendering plant

ok, what other myths can we debunk for you today?

Oh, right, the myth that anybody can just willy nilly dig a hole to put a horse in.

It becomes increasingly difficult to undertake such an endeavor. People tend to get picky over 1200 pounds of contaminated carcass possibly seeping into the ground/well water....we already have increasing amounts of pharmaceutical residue appearing in the ground water, from traceable sources. we certainly need no toxins from improperly decomposing lifestock...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    It becomes increasingly difficult to undertake such an endeavor. People tend to get picky over 1200 pounds of contaminated carcass possibly seeping into the ground/well water....we already have increasing amounts of pharmaceutical residue appearing in the ground water, from traceable sources. we certainly need no toxins from improperly decomposing lifestock...
    This.

Even if all slaughter plants all over the world were to close tomorrow, rendering plants would still be necessary. I can't dig a hole for my horse here when it's her time, so what are my options? Can't send her to some animal sanctuary (even if there was one around) because she's contaminated. Suppose I can have her cremated, although that's expensive and not everyone would be able to afford it. Rendering is a good option for those who can't.

9 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Owners that can't afford to dig a hole?

Wow, lost any sympathy for your "sensitivities" right there.... you do realize that in many states it's not "owners that can't afford to dig a hole", but regulations or geography that prevent the burial?

In fact, it's often much cheaper to bury than to pay to have the carcass removed, if it were allowed.

16 members found this post helpful.

It is not a matter of affording to dig a hole in most places. Most places have regulations against burying livestock.
    The rendering plant is the only affordable option. In my neck of the woods having the rendering company (which no longer picks up horses, but lets pretend they do) costs as much as paying the backhoe operator.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Horsehide is slang to mean a baseball.
    However horsehide is also a leather made from a horse's hide.
    FWIW, a buttload of horsehide is from rendered animals. Mainly because TONS of horses are rendered. Horsehide does not atomatically = slaughtered horse. (rendering is when an already dead animal is processed as opposed to killing the horse specifically for processing. Rendering is the only option for thousands of owners to dispose of a euthanized or otherwise already dead horse)
    Horsehide leather can come from euthanized animals because it will never be consumed by anything.
    Tons of stuff is made from horsehide, not just leather. But the leather is used a lot for holsters, chaps and jackets for motorcycle riding due to it's toughness.
    I do hope people aren't also opposed to rendered horses also never being allowed to be used. Or that horses shouldn't be rendered. If so, there's a whole lotta disconnect with reality out there.
    Thanks for this, Misty. The idea of horsehide still squicks me out, but at least I can now tell myself that it was probably some person's beloved Dobbin that had to go for rendering when he passed on at some grand old age. I still couldn't buy a horsehide product any more than I could buy a dog hid or cat hide or human hide product, but it doesn't bother me as much now.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Not only are there regulations but the ground here is so frozen you couldn't dig a hole!

chancy deal is offline Training Level
    Original Poster

geesh. the point was... a small portion comes into rendering plants from individuals who had a horse die. It comes from slaughter plants.

geesh. the point was... a small portion comes into rendering plants from individuals who had a horse die. It comes from slaughter plants.
    the point is, it does not matter.

besides, I doubt you know which portion comes from where....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

7 members found this post helpful.

The anti slaughter mentality sometimes seems psychotic.

14 members found this post helpful.

Since there are no slaughter houses around here NONE of the rendering plants get their carcasses from slaughter houses.

Do you really think that Canadian slaughter houses ship their carcasses to New Jersey?

17 members found this post helpful.

Over the years, carcasses of my horses, chemically euthanised at home, were hauled off by a rendering truck. I saved a piece of their mane, but had no particular attachment to their body after their demise. I didn't want to know too much about the process from then, but assume that their hides were made into leather. Reading about the concerns of chemical euthenasia- and the enviornment- two things- I would not want to bury the barbituates... and I don't know what a rendering plant can/will do with a chemically contaminated carcass (althogh I'm confident they can use the leather). Those concerns have made me feel much more interested in the bullet method, but I don't have the heart to really delve into it right now, and I don't know of any vets who do that.

Anyway- I just wanted to assure you that the choice to not bury a dead horse on your farm may have nothing to do with the price of digging.

7 members found this post helpful.

Apologies for arguing, but this is incorrect. As has been pointed out.

The numbers are printed very often that 100,000 horses are slaughtered each year. Out of the country now.

There are FAR FAR more than 100,000 equine deaths in this country annually. As both sides of the slaughter debate state: about 1% of horses are slaughtered. 1%. Many more than 1% pass away annually. More than 100k horses in this country pass from colic every year. (#1 cause of equine death) That doesn't happen in a slaughter plant outside of the country.

When people have their animals picked up after death by renderers, those renderers aren't shipping the animals to Canada or Mexico to the slaughter plants. They're being rendered right here in the states. In the many many many counties. (hence the ability to be able to have a renderer pick up your horse, they're close by) There are countless rendering plants in this country handling the countless dead horses every year. They produce a massive massive amount of offal and parts for products. Hence the ones making the products don't bother paying a lot more for the offal from slaughter plants outside of the country to be shipped over the borders so they can make a vest or holster out of it.

So, no. Horsehide is not provided mainly by slaughter plants. But from rendering plants. The countless rendering plants every state has. Many states have multiple ones.

You can rest assured that Cabelos is not actively seeking slaughtered animals for their product parts. And please also consider not insulting anyone who doesn't agree with your incorrect ideas. Or insulting those who can not bury their horses when they die. In many areas it's illegal. In other areas it may be legal but the property may not have a safe place to inter the animal. (a safe distance from your own and all neighboring wells and septic fields to keep any toxins or decompisition to leach into the drinking water or soil and plants via septic...so you don't kill your neighbors or all the wildlife) They may have ledge and be unable to bury deep enough for safety without blasting. They may have a high water table or underground water supply that would cause catastrophic damage to the ecosystem. They may not live anywhere near anyone with a large enough backhoe to dig a large enough hole. There are many reasons people do not bury their horses.

And unfortunately, there are also many who will not consider any of these things to be a deterrent (or not bother looking into them) and bury their horses anyway because it's the easy, fast, cheap way or because of emotions.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Apologies for arguing, but this is incorrect. As has been pointed out.

The numbers are printed very often that 100,000 horses are slaughtered each year. Out of the country now.

There are FAR FAR more than 100,000 equine deaths in this country annually. As both sides of the slaughter debate state: about 1% of horses are slaughtered. 1%. Many more than 1% pass away annually. More than 100k horses in this country pass from colic every year. (#1 cause of equine death) That doesn't happen in a slaughter plant outside of the country.

When people have their animals picked up after death by renderers, those renderers aren't shipping the animals to Canada or Mexico to the slaughter plants. They're being rendered right here in the states. In the many many many counties. (hence the ability to be able to have a renderer pick up your horse, they're close by) There are countless rendering plants in this country handling the countless dead horses every year. They produce a massive massive amount of offal and parts for products. Hence the ones making the products don't bother paying a lot more for the offal from slaughter plants outside of the country to be shipped over the borders so they can make a vest or holster out of it.

So, no. Horsehide is not provided mainly by slaughter plants. But from rendering plants. The countless rendering plants every state has. Many states have multiple ones.

You can rest assured that Cabelos is not actively seeking slaughtered animals for their product parts. And please also consider not insulting anyone who doesn't agree with your incorrect ideas. Or insulting those who can not bury their horses when they die. In many areas it's illegal. In other areas it may be legal but the property may not have a safe place to inter the animal. (a safe distance from your own and all neighboring wells and septic fields to keep any toxins or decompisition to leach into the drinking water or soil and plants via septic...so you don't kill your neighbors or all the wildlife) They may have ledge and be unable to bury deep enough for safety without blasting. They may have a high water table or underground water supply that would cause catastrophic damage to the ecosystem. They may not live anywhere near anyone with a large enough backhoe to dig a large enough hole. There are many reasons people do not bury their horses.

And unfortunately, there are also many who will not consider any of these things to be a deterrent (or not bother looking into them) and bury their horses anyway because it's the easy, fast, cheap way or because of emotions.

Don't you just hate it when logic and reasoning get in the way of a good emotional argument?

24 members found this post helpful.

fargonefarm, my saddle is made from dog hide. made it myself. I've got all these dying dogs laying around. Didnt want anything to go to waste.
    http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/...ead-Cocked.jpg
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

11 members found this post helpful.

I know it's Monday, and we've all got nothing better to do...but why feed the troll? I guess it's hard to resist.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I know it's Monday, and we've all got nothing better to do...but why feed the troll? I guess it's hard to resist.
    I just walked by a SALE of valentine's day chocolates............I resisted and used up all my powers.

8 members found this post helpful.