The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

I lost my MFT to colic 2 weeks ago. It'd have to be one damn fancy hole to be more expensive than what it cost me to have everything settled.

My horses are pets. I would not eat them or have their hides tanned for my use. That has no bearing whatsoever on what someone else's horses are to them. Their horses might be seen as straight livestock and that's fine.

People make pets of cows- even break them to ride and jump - yet people seem to be able to grasp that just because someone has a pet riding cow doesn't mean everyone else is teh evil for having leather tack. But as soon as horses get brought into it, people lose their freakin' minds.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skykingismybaby1 View Post
    How big is your pistol??
    A full-size service handgun. Glock 17 to be exact. Vanishes under an untucked shirt or sport coat with the right holster (of baby seal leather, only the best for my delicate sensibilities).

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    A full-size service handgun. Glock 17 to be exact. Vanishes under an untucked shirt or sport coat with the right holster (of baby seal leather, only the best for my delicate sensibilities).
    Sorry, my mind was in a dirty place.............

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skykingismybaby1 View Post
    Sorry, my mind was in a dirty place.............
    No, not that kind of holster

A month ago my ASB mare told me she was ready to go (fractured hips that weren't healing). I had all of $20 to my name and no place or means to bury her. My trainer called the rendering plant for me. He came out, after I spent my time with her and said goodbye, tied her up and let her breathe for a minute, then bam. All over, nice and quickly. Of course I didn't stand there staring, but it was quick and painless.

Her body went to good use and it didn't cost me a dime! Would I do it again if I had another horse that was ready? Yes! It's easier, more cost effective, and more economically/environmentally responsible.

Like most others have said: Don't waste what can be used.
    Slaughter and rendering are different, and a bullet from the rendering man is just as humane as the vet.

11 members found this post helpful.

I am not bothering to read all posts- but Cabela's will certainly continue to get my business and off hand I kinda doubt horsehide leather is a new product for them. When we fed horses to the foxhounds we skinned them carefully, the hides were a good source of revenue for a hunt club on a shoe string budget. And the deceased did not care a whit.

I've also had to put horses down and send them to rendering, hide, bones, everything put to use for things 'you' buy that you probably can't imagine have 'horse stuff' in them.

Waste not, want not.

But if use of horsehide really bugs you (and I speak generally), then you'd better be sure to boycott major league baseball. They use 1 million baseballs a month. I trust you know that baseballs are made from horsehide...

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by zafirah View Post
    A month ago my ASB mare told me she was ready to go (fractured hips that weren't healing). I had all of $20 to my name and no place or means to bury her. My trainer called the rendering plant for me. He came out, after I spent my time with her and said goodbye, tied her up and let her breathe for a minute, then bam. All over, nice and quickly. Of course I didn't stand there staring, but it was quick and painless.

Her body went to good use and it didn't cost me a dime! Would I do it again if I had another horse that was ready? Yes! It's easier, more cost effective, and more economically/environmentally responsible.

Like most others have said: Don't waste what can be used.
    Slaughter and rendering are different, and a bullet from the rendering man is just as humane as the vet.
    My condolences on the loss of your horse. And thank you for handling her euthanasia responsibly.

2 members found this post helpful.

No, horsehide holsters are nothing new. And in fact, they command a premium over cowhide due to the leather's toughness and ability to repel human sweat which is loaded with salts and will corrode most metals used in firearms if given enough time.

Legendary Thoroughbred Horsehide Racer Motorcycle Jacket

If you don't need a jacket there is also horsehide boots.

Guess what for the anti horse product crowd. These and other horsehide products, it doesn't matter how much you dope up your horse.

Back when I worked for a boot and tack store we used to sell horsehide boots which were extremely popular because if how well they held up. I was told by a salesmen of one of the big brands (Tony Lama, maybe?) that horsehide actually tends to be mule hide because it is tougher, but horsehide sounds better to the consumer. Anyone know if that is true?

What else are they going to do with the hide after they make the lasagna?

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...to-the-lasagna

Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

chancy deal is offline Training Level
    Original Poster

I spoke with the manufacturer of the holster. The horsehide comes from OUT OF THE COUNTRY!!! Not from your precious local rendering plant.
    Let me guess.... now the holster has been made from all of those great local rendering plants in Mexico. & canada. & england.
    No. it comes from horse meat slaughter plants not in this country. And now you'll tell me it doenst & say I dont know that. Well you dont know that it doesnt!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chancy deal View Post
    I spoke with the manufacturer of the holster. The horsehide comes from OUT OF THE COUNTRY!!! Not from your precious local rendering plant.
    Let me guess.... now the holster has been made from all of those great local rendering plants in Mexico. & canada. & england.
    No. it comes from horse meat slaughter plants not in this country. And now you'll tell me it doenst & say I dont know that. Well you dont know that it doesnt!!!
    so it comes from a country that isn't as hypocritical...big whoop...

btw a quick google search on horse hide popped up a place in Peru. Not something on everybody's map for grand horse scenes...and baby, the palettes are stacked high. I am guessing becauseuh...after they eat the horses they use the hides.

People eat horses, lions, tigers and bears oh my eat horses.
    a horse is a prey animal....because thy are tasty.

you are free to not buy the horse hide holster. You are within your rights to not eat horse or slaughter your own.

But please....the 'OMG they use horse hides' or any other part of a now unlive horse is pathetic...

7 members found this post helpful.

So? What's your point?

The horse doesn't need its skin anymore. If you have a problem with the holsters, go buy them all and give them a Christian burial.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chancy deal View Post
    I still say so what?

Also sweetheart, I hope you don't eat anything with gelatin. Yogurt, gummy candies, ice creams, etc, etc, etc. Same with a lot of food colorings. And glue. And lots and lots of other products.

Edit: BTW, I'm a vegetarian, and avoid all those products. But I can tell you right now I don't see the difference between leather from a cow and leather from a horse. All animals.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post

The horse doesn't need its skin anymore. If you have a problem with the holsters, go buy them all and give them a Christian burial.

I still dont get your leap of logic. What is the difference between cow, pig, and horse leathers. They all come from dead animals. It has been clearly pointed out that more horses (world wide) die from natural causes or being PTS.

I understand your passion about inhumane slaughter, but does that mean outlawing all equine deaths?

If a horse dies naturally or is PTS are you still against using the body? Including feeding hunting dogs, wild cats, and/or using the skin for leather?

Your posts have a tone of hysteria; maybe because no one is agreeing with your emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    Back when I worked for a boot and tack store we used to sell horsehide boots which were extremely popular because if how well they held up. I was told by a salesmen of one of the big brands (Tony Lama, maybe?) that horsehide actually tends to be mule hide because it is tougher, but horsehide sounds better to the consumer. Anyone know if that is true?
    I suspect it is. I've got one pair of mulehide boots that I had made years ago. They are now "wet season creek boots" but they are still good for that!!!

My guess is that the OP hasn't ever bought anything from Cabelas. They're just "trolling."

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I am confused why it matters what country the leather product comes from....

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I am confused why it matters what country the leather product comes from....
    <shrug>

it from horses...it's evul....