The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by englishcowgirl View Post
    its pretty much the same as using people leather right? It would just be a shame to give humans a proper burial anymore and waste that good product. I don't eat or wear the skin of the species of animals I keep as pets and consider just as important as my human family. I still have morals and have not sold out to those who worship the mighty dollar.
    Hey, you are welcome to my hide without any guilt, once I don't need it any more.
    You will have to wait for the medical school to be thru with me before you get it.

13 members found this post helpful.

Doesn't really matter what happens after they're dead - only how they get that way.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chancy deal View Post
    I was looking through a Cabelas catalog last night and there it was... a pistol holster made from "horsehide leather."
    By Galco and says it's- made in USA. I couldnt believe it. Your thoughts??
    For me, I find it disgusting and I think... what's next? Horse jerky hanging in the checkout aisle? I mean, why not. I plan to never order from Cabelas again.
    PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLL.

THANK YOU.

THE MANAGEMENT
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Why can't I green thumb this even more!!!!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chancy deal View Post
    geesh. the point was... a small portion comes into rendering plants from individuals who had a horse die. It comes from slaughter plants.
    How much time have you spent at a rendering plant? I'm guessing none.

Some of us are even more extreme about re-use of a dead body. My dad died last February 7, and his body was donated to a company that not only supplies cadavers to medical schools, but also supplies body parts to continuing education and research.

As for what happens to My Friend Flicka, say hello to her when you open up your lipstick as well.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

10 members found this post helpful.

Instead of being buried in the ground, I'm donating my body to science. So I guess if you want my hide to make into leather after the scientists/medical students get done with it, have at it!

JSwan, that bunny does NOT look amused!
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    Ages ago I worked at a kid's riding camp that had a pony skin on the rec room wall
    One is very, very curious as to whether or not you could get away with this in the USA today.....

As for the OP, Hunterdon County NJ would have a serious problem with horse carcasses if we didn't have a few different companies that dealt with it.

The fact of the matter is, the use..and reuse..of animals has been in practice from the beginning of time. From the cavemen to the Native Americans to modern society. Some cultures have differing views on rendering, slaughter, etc. but just because they're different doesn't mean that they are wrong. And thus we have hit upon what I hate about modern society - we all think that they way WE do things is better; what WE think is better, etc. Well...no, it's not.

It's fine to be opposed to animal slaughter. It's fine to be opposed to the use of animal by-products in our daily lives. It is NOT fine to crucify those who buy or use those products. I use a leather saddle. I'm sure some of my cosmetics contain animal by-products. I however responsibly care for all of my animals. If I have an animal that needs to be humanely euthanized, I do so. I look out for my pets from the beginning to the end. That being said, I have absolutely no delusion that once that pet is gone, there is anything symbolic about their remains. What I loved about that pet is gone. Period. The remains are either going to be given back to nature or used for some other purpose. But I certainly don't open my lip gloss container and pay homage to my horse. That my friends, is just wackadoodle.
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

8 members found this post helpful.

its pretty much the same as using people leather right? It would just be a shame to give humans a proper burial anymore and waste that good product. I don't eat or wear the skin of the species of animals I keep as pets and consider just as important as my human family. I still have morals and have not sold out to those who worship the mighty dollar.
    It's very understandable for many to not want to use horsehide products due to being uncomfortable doing so. In order to help you refrain from using anything made from equine parts post rendering, here is a small partial list:
    *lipstick
    *many foundation and cover-up bases
    *many stringed instruments (you may need to refrain from listening to classical music so as not to support the use of horsehair)
    *numerous medication serum bases. You may have to find medication alternatives.
    *snake bite anti-venom. Please avoid venomous snake areas. Although this is made in the body of living horses, they are not harmed by it but they are used
    *many different adhesives
    *some cements use bone additives
    *polish
    *inks
    *vacuum attachment brushes
    *paint brushes
    *fabrics
    *tallow

Tallow is then converted to: soap, glycerin, steric acid and linoleaic acid. Which is then turned into lubricants, cleansing creams, solvents, antifreeze, textiles, shampoos, emulsifiers, paints and even rubber tires. (you may get tired walking everywhere though) (might not want to walk in some rubber soled shoes or sneakers though, many of those have equine-based tallow)

You will be able to save a lot of almighty dollars by avoiding any equine based rendering products.

However those sending their animals to a rendering plants due to having absolutely no other option on what to do with the carcass of their beloved pet (such low morals they must have for having owned a horse in an area that does not allow for burial and does not have one of the handful of equine-sized crematories nearby) are not doing so for the almighty dollar. It costs the owner of that horse money to pay the renderers to come pick up their animal. Average is between $100-$300, some areas may be higher and a few less.

I also love my animals as family. However I don't wear a bracelet made from my grandmother's hair.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    The anti slaughter mentality sometimes seems psychotic.
    It's not psychotic, just not very smart... and with a gnat-short attention span to boot.

I have officially crossed the line into Old And Unwilling To Tolerate Stupid (especially of the illogical- or "can't be bothered to follow an argument 'cause it's just so much damned work" varieties).

At least you know who I am now.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

9 members found this post helpful.

This trolley left the tracks some pages back.

Holy crap! I was reading along carefully, taking in all the information and then I opened that and laughed so hard I startled my old dog lying at my feet in the kitchen (BTW old dog whammy is strong -I just dragged a dog bed into the kitchen so Yoshi would have somewhere soft to lie while shadowing me -but that's another story). You must find a way to make that picture a "huh?" icon!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

On the rendering subject.

It really bugs me that people are providing rendering plants with their raw material for their product and still have to pay for the plants to take it!
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Scientists are developing a way to turn human excrement into an edible protein.

Don't underestimate what people are trying to do to feed and clothe an exploding global population.
    MMMmmmmm.....Soylent Green tastes like chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    It's very understandable for many to not want to use horsehide products due to being uncomfortable doing so. In order to help you refrain from using anything made from equine parts post rendering, here is a small partial list:
    *lipstick
    *many foundation and cover-up bases
    *many stringed instruments (you may need to refrain from listening to classical music so as not to support the use of horsehair)
    *numerous medication serum bases. You may have to find medication alternatives.
    *snake bite anti-venom. Please avoid venomous snake areas. Although this is made in the body of living horses, they are not harmed by it but they are used
    *many different adhesives
    *some cements use bone additives
    *polish
    *inks
    *vacuum attachment brushes
    *paint brushes
    *fabrics
    *tallow

Tallow is then converted to: soap, glycerin, steric acid and linoleaic acid. Which is then turned into lubricants, cleansing creams, solvents, antifreeze, textiles, shampoos, emulsifiers, paints and even rubber tires. (you may get tired walking everywhere though) (might not want to walk in some rubber soled shoes or sneakers though, many of those have equine-based tallow)

You will be able to save a lot of almighty dollars by avoiding any equine based rendering products.

However those sending their animals to a rendering plants due to having absolutely no other option on what to do with the carcass of their beloved pet (such low morals they must have for having owned a horse in an area that does not allow for burial and does not have one of the handful of equine-sized crematories nearby) are not doing so for the almighty dollar. It costs the owner of that horse money to pay the renderers to come pick up their animal. Average is between $100-$300, some areas may be higher and a few less.

I also love my animals as family. However I don't wear a bracelet made from my grandmother's hair.
    Ownage on a massive scale

Quote Originally Posted by englishcowgirl View Post
    My pistol holster is made of baby seal leather. Feels great next to my skin when I carry inside the waistband.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    My pistol holster is made of baby seal leather. Feels great next to my skin when I carry inside the waistband.
    How big is your pistol??

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    On the rendering subject.

It really bugs me that people are providing rendering plants with their raw material for their product and still have to pay for the plants to take it!
    For two years no rendering plant here would take horses.
    Their costs to process horses didn't cover what they were getting for what they produced from them.
    Horses were going to the landfill, to be buried with the trash and the land fill only would accept so many horses and were complaining they were not going to take any any longer.

The last year, rendering plants are again accepting horses but charging $100 for pickup.

Ive had a few horses euthanized, and most I have the local "meat man" come out and shoot. Yes...OMG!!!!!!!......shoot. One minute the horse is standing there peacefully eating a big bucket of feed on the ground (little realizing its his last meal) and the next think he knows, POW he's dead. Just like that. Far far more traumatic to me than to him. I choose to have them euth'ed that way, because they can do so much more with the carcass. When I can plan this ahead of time, I also make sure he is 48 hours clear of any drugs. That way they can use the entire carcass, zoos, meat for the local large cat rescue, all kinds of uses, and they can also save the hide. And no, I dont stand out there and watch. But yes, I abhor waste.

9 members found this post helpful.

I live close to not one, but 2 big cat rescues. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to talk those lions and tigers and bears (oh my) into becoming vegeterians. They refuse and are quite vocal about it. They even talked me into bringing them a meal a couple of times. Anyway, if they want to cover up with the remnants of the meals I brought them, they're more than welcome. I'd rather they didn't make holsters out of the meals though. They're scary enough as it is
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?