The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I see what you did there. Good one.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skykingismybaby1 View Post
    I just walked by a SALE of valentine's day chocolates............I resisted and used up all my powers.
    I understand. I went out of my way to get Dutch Bros this morning on my (not) way to work. My willpower is nothing in the face of a cheap white mocha served by a cute college kid that knows my truck (and thus my drink).
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

3 members found this post helpful.

Total non-issue for me. Love Cabela's stuff, and will continue to buy from them.

Funny that a HUNTER gets squicked out over rendered horse hide.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

4 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    Total non-issue for me. Love Cabela's stuff, and will continue to buy from them.

Ages ago I worked at a kid's riding camp that had a pony skin on the rec room wall, from a pony that they had owned, no less. Oddly, none of the kids were even slightly skeeved by it, including ones who had once ridden that very pony.

Odd that those little kids were better at understanding and accepting the reality of death and comfortable with the idea of using/displaying products obtained such animals than some adults are these days.

Reminds me that I have a really cute pair of pony boots that I haven't worn in a while....
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

who is Chancy and what is their deal?

Really, at 70 posts I see you are some what new at this, I am not aware of how long you have been lurking, but creating a thread just to interject your anti slaughter point of view is trollish and I am not going to feed the troll.

Quote Originally Posted by chancy deal View Post
    That's great! keeps the horse slaughter industry alive & well and in demand.

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post

I wouldn't assume Hunter. Cabela has fishing, camping, hiking stuff, and cold weather gear, too.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I know it's Monday, and we've all got nothing better to do...but why feed the troll? .
    But if we don't feed them, how will they grow big so we can make lots of holsters out of their hides?
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

22 members found this post helpful.

A proponent of horse slaughter would see it as no big deal.

I'm against commercial horse slaughter, but I am guessing that the horse hide comes from horses that are rendered, and that horses are not being slaughtered for their hide. Even if slaughter for human consumption were banned, rendering plants could still use the hides from horses humanely euthed for medical reasons, or that died naturally, and the rendering company picked up.

I'll save my energy to fight against commercial horse slaughter for human consumption, where perfectly healthy horses are transported/killed in conditions that are less than humane.

The bulk of what goes into a rendering plant comes straight from the slaughter house. Rendering plant/slaughter plant... same thing. Little is supplied from owners who couldnt afford to dig a hole.
    Ten percent of the horses that die each yr are the result of slaughter. The remaining 90% are either rendered, buried, or composted. If a company like Natural Valley, or 1-800-dead cow, pick up your horse, it is normally rendered. More horses are rendered than buried.

OP, I'm vocally anti-slaughter. However, I see the use of horse's hides as a positive step. The local rendening people told me three or four years ago that there was a real problem for them in selling horse hides. These are not slaugther horses - they are horses that die a natural death and their bodies are picked up for rendering. According to these people, there was a threat to the rendering industry because of the low market for horsehides. If the value of horsehides increases, it is better for the horse rendering industry, which is better for the individual horse owner as it gives an economic manner to dispose of a naturally-deceased horse, and better for the horse, because the difficulty in the disposition of the horse's body is one excuse people use when they sell their horses to slaughter.

8 members found this post helpful.

That's great! keeps the horse slaughter industry alive & well and in demand.
    There are lots of things to keep the horse slaughter industry alive & well. Irresponsible owners breeding things that should never be bred, for one. A good family friend owns 3 stock yards in our state...we see what comes through. Don't usually see much I'd wanna bring home and feed for 20 years. If slaughter is done humanely ***and this is where my big issue is w/horse slaughter***, then it does serve a purpose. How many threads are there on here right now related to horses seized or dead b/c people can't/won't feed them. I'm not advocating slaughtering useful horses...don't twist words. BUT - Dead is not the worst thing that can happen to you...starving slowly with all the features and benefits that accompany that type of death... AND, sadly, rehoming a homeless 1000 lb critter is a lot harder than a chihuahua. People need to quit breeding unusable horses just b/c they've got papers, my kids love them, someone gave us a stud colt...

You wanna take a shot at horse slaughter, outrage over a gun holster ain't where it is. Channel that energy into taking on these nut job collector breeders (ala JB). Won't end horse slaughter, but it's a much more productive use of energy.

3 members found this post helpful.

its pretty much the same as using people leather right? It would just be a shame to give humans a proper burial anymore and waste that good product. I don't eat or wear the skin of the species of animals I keep as pets and consider just as important as my human family. I still have morals and have not sold out to those who worship the mighty dollar.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, it would be better than eating human excrement.

Scientists are developing a way to turn human excrement into an edible protein.

Don't underestimate what people are trying to do to feed and clothe an exploding global population.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    But if we don't feed them, how will they grow big so we can make lots of holsters out of their hides?
    Soft, tender baby troll skin is much more highly sought after than fat old troll skin, duh.

Amateur.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by englishcowgirl View Post
    its pretty much the same as using people leather right? It would just be a shame to give humans a proper burial anymore and waste that good product. I don't eat or wear the skin of the species of animals I keep as pets and consider just as important as my human family. I still have morals and have not sold out to those who worship the mighty dollar.
    Aaaannnnd with this comment, I now demand that this thread and the Tinhats Unite thread mate, and breed beautiful Tinhatted Troll babies.

(And as cray as the comment is, to answer one part of it - hey, I disagree with keeping humans as property, selling them, buying them, etc. But! I'm totally onboard with buying horses. I will assume that you, englishcowgirl, would never do something as disgusting as buy a human being like some kind of piece of personal property...or, for that matter, buy a horse as ditto!).

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    Ages ago I worked at a kid's riding camp that had a pony skin on the rec room wall, from a pony that they had owned, no less. Oddly, none of the kids were even slightly skeeved by it, including ones who had once ridden that very pony.

Odd that those little kids were better at understanding and accepting the reality of death and comfortable with the idea of using/displaying products obtained such animals than some adults are these days.
    My niece (3) had a cat for a short time that got hit by a car and killed. They found it in the morning. A few weeks later, my step-mom came to visit and asked where White was. My niece looks at her and calmly says "White get hit by truck and die". She then went about playing. My step-mom was in a bit of shock and didn't know quite how to react to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Aaaannnnd with this comment, I now demand that this thread and the Tinhats Unite thread mate, and breed beautiful Tinhatted Troll babies.

(And as cray as the comment is, to answer one part of it - hey, I disagree with keeping humans as property, selling them, buying them, etc. But! I'm totally onboard with buying horses. I will assume that you, englishcowgirl, would never do something as disgusting as buy a human being like some kind of piece of personal property...or, for that matter, buy a horse as ditto!).
    LMAO at this & coffee all over keyboard...imagining all that fluffy orange troll hair shoved into a shiny side out hat!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=englishcowgirl;6831412]its pretty much the same as using people leather right? It would just be a shame to give humans a proper burial anymore and waste that good product. I don't eat or wear the skin of the species of animals I keep as pets and consider just as important as my human family. I still have morals and have not sold out to those who worship the mighty dollar.
    Well that changes my mind about rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post

Look - they even have a mascot!

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...64397230_n.jpg
    -Rudyard Kipling

7 members found this post helpful.