The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Cabelas now selling horsehide merchandise

I was looking through a Cabelas catalog last night and there it was... a pistol holster made from "horsehide leather."
    By Galco and says it's- made in USA. I couldnt believe it. Your thoughts??
    For me, I find it disgusting and I think... what's next? Horse jerky hanging in the checkout aisle? I mean, why not. I plan to never order from Cabelas again.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, you're right, why not?

Why waste something that can be used?

What's the difference between leather from a cow and horse hide?

40 members found this post helpful.

Why waste?
    Why not recycle horse hides once they are dead?

Any different than mounting Trigger and putting him in a museum?

No one is making you buy that product.
    Why do you care if some want to sell and others buy it?

22 members found this post helpful.

I wear leather of all sorts....come to think of it so does my horse!

I think there is a big difference between livestock and pets. While I dont think I could ever eat my pet or use its skin I certainly eat meat and use leather in my life. I am no expert as to why horse leather might be preferable to cow, buffallo or pig skin.

5 members found this post helpful.

This isn't new. Horsehide has been used for years for making holsters. Though many gun owners prefer the look and feel (and price!) of cowhide.

I too would rather have the hide used than not used and wasted.

4 members found this post helpful.

No problems with using horse hide. I suppose the only issue might be where the hide is from (how it was obtained), but the fact that it's horse hide is in itself no problemo for me

Horesehide:
    http://www.sullivanil.us/SYB/baseball.jpg

It's a bit of a tempest in a teacup.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

chancy deal is offline Training Level
    Original Poster

A proponent of horse slaughter would see it as no big deal.

Lots of products already use horse hide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_cordovan

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chancy deal View Post
    It isn't.
    It's not like there are now horses walking around with holster shape patches of skin missing.

Waste not, want not...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

20 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

That's great! keeps the horse slaughter industry alive & well and in demand.

Horsehide is slang to mean a baseball.
    However horsehide is also a leather made from a horse's hide.
    FWIW, a buttload of horsehide is from rendered animals. Mainly because TONS of horses are rendered. Horsehide does not atomatically = slaughtered horse. (rendering is when an already dead animal is processed as opposed to killing the horse specifically for processing. Rendering is the only option for thousands of owners to dispose of a euthanized or otherwise already dead horse)
    Horsehide leather can come from euthanized animals because it will never be consumed by anything.
    Tons of stuff is made from horsehide, not just leather. But the leather is used a lot for holsters, chaps and jackets for motorcycle riding due to it's toughness.
    I do hope people aren't also opposed to rendered horses also never being allowed to be used. Or that horses shouldn't be rendered. If so, there's a whole lotta disconnect with reality out there.

Also as a preventative for future worries: Pony, ponyhide or poony leather isn't from a pony. It's a phrase used to describe leather tanned with the hair left on and used for decorative items such as purses and shoes. Usually brown and white, but also the solid parts too. (from cows)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

27 members found this post helpful.

That's great! keeps the horse slaughter industry alive & well and in demand.

grow up.

the horses are worth more in the sum of their parts than as a whole.

There is much derived from a dead horse, much you probably use, even without knowledge.

Horses get slaughtered and eaten. Who cares if it's by man or Lion....
    then you are left with such things as bones, inedible tissue, horse hair, hooves and yeah, a wonderfully big piece of hide.
    The horses are not killed for that cabella holster. it's just a nice side product.

I certainly beat throwing usable items in the landfill....which I find much more objectionable.

11 members found this post helpful.

Right, someone that can't think past animal rights extremist propaganda would want to waste all that some horses can be for us.
    Horses are a natural, renewable resource this world provides to all, in so many forms, from pets thru helping us do what we do to and, once dead, some of them providing us with some products.

Have to be a bit blind to not see that is how the world really works.

8 members found this post helpful.

And yet I'm guessing that your horse wears a saddle made of leather, which is a by-product of a cow, most likely. So pardon my confusion but....what's the difference?
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

8 members found this post helpful.

I dont understand your leap of logic. Horses die whether they are slaughtered in a cruel and inhumane way or are humanely PTS.

Horses die, their skins can be used. What is your point? because there is no direct link between slaughter and leather. Unless you are a vegetarian and non leather user you are not making sense to me.

Since you were looking at a hunting catalogue I am assuming you approve of hunting. Do you use the skins of the animals you hunt?

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Horsehide is slang to mean a baseball.
    However horsehide is also a leather made from a horse's hide.
    FWIW, a buttload of horsehide is from rendered animals. Mainly because TONS of horses are rendered. Horsehide does not atomatically = slaughtered horse. (rendering is when an already dead animal is processed as opposed to killing the horse specifically for processing. Rendering is the only option for thousands of owners to dispose of a euthanized or otherwise already dead horse)
    Horsehide leather can come from euthanized animals because it will never be consumed by anything.
    Tons of stuff is made from horsehide, not just leather. But the leather is used a lot for holsters, chaps and jackets for motorcycle riding due to it's toughness.
    I do hope people aren't also opposed to rendered horses also never being allowed to be used. Or that horses shouldn't be rendered. If so, there's a whole lotta disconnect with reality out there.

Also as a preventative for future worries: Pony, ponyhide or poony leather isn't from a pony. It's a phrase used to describe leather tanned with the hair left on and used for decorative items such as purses and shoes. Usually brown and white, but also the solid parts too. (from cows)
    Thank you, that is a very good explanation of how things work in the real world, a world some still can't understand and so are easily led by animal rights extremist propaganda, just geared to such people.

6 members found this post helpful.

horsehide

• The ball (a baseball) used in the game of baseball.
    • The leather cover on the baseball (which is now usually made of cowhide, not horsehide). A slugger may be said to "knock the horsehide off the ball." Horsehide was the cover of choice for decades, as it was less prone to stretching than cowhide. This was necessary in part because in the early days, they tried to play the entire game with a single ball, or as few as possible. That became moot in the 1920s, but horsehide continued to be used until the 1980s or so, when horsehide became prohibitively expensive and cowhide was finally adopted as the standard cover for a baseball.
    yeah, I knew they are not making it from horsey anymore

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fargonefarm View Post
    And yet I'm guessing that your horse wears a saddle made of leather, which is a by-product of a cow, most likely. So pardon my confusion but....what's the difference?
    I really would like to know the OP's response to this........

Original Poster

The bulk of what goes into a rendering plant comes straight from the slaughter house. Rendering plant/slaughter plant... same thing. Little is supplied from owners who couldnt afford to dig a hole.