The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Last night over a glass of wine we were discussing the Pope's resignation. I wondered what it would be like to go to bed one night infallible and wake up the next morning fallible as the rest of us. And what happens before the next pope is elected? Is there a gap in infallibility? My DH did a little research and said that the doctrine of infallibility only dates back to the late 1800s. Who knew?

There are so many issues facing the Church now. The world has truly changed, and the Catholic Church has only become more conservative. Diclosure: I belong to a rite of the Catholic Church wherein celibacy is a choice and married men are allowed to become priests. The Latin rite has fought this for years, but it is a tradition that still holds. I grew up thinking nothing of playing games with the priest's kids at church functions. Our current parish priest's granddaughter waves to him while he's giving the sermon. Family duties in no way hamper his ability to be a wonderful priest and man of God, and enhances his knowledge of family dynamics.

I hope and pray that the next pope is able to recognize the benefit of permitting such a choice to the Church and all of its members. Oh, and that the role of women be reconsidered and equalized, too. (Sorry. Had to get that in!)
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Looks like one of the possible successors opened his mouth and inserted his foot.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...?ir=Gay+Voices
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    So y'all don't think it's simply that the pontiff's too pooped to pope?
    LOL

Unfortunately when a person or an organization has a history of deceit and coverup most people expect more of the same.

He certainly IS frail but so was his predecessor
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

The poor guy looks like he can hardly get through his masses. He has, it seems, had a pacemaker installed.

I'm not Catholic, but I am married to one, and I realize that to a lot of people their faith is very dear to them and by criticising the Pope, one is criticising the poster on this thread and that is hurtful to them.

We have been through challenging times and changing times, and if the Church wants its members to return, it will have to change a little, too.
    I think a very conservative new Pope will not achieve that end, despite the masses of advertising.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Hmmm...gay vatican underground. I admit I was wrong--no pedophilia scandal.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Pony Fixer - how would you describe yourself, in context of this thread?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

For those with a sense of humour, music for a forward-thinking Catholic church:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvhYqeGp_Do
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    For those with a sense of humour, music for a forward-thinking Catholic church:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvhYqeGp_Do

Lol, Bluey, you just brought me back to my childhood. When I was stil in Catholic school, my very funny and somewhat subversive father taught me that song as well as: "Staaaay with God, staaaaay with God! Rock 'em, sock 'em, Jesus knock 'em! Staaay with God, staaaay with God! The Holy Ghost, the Apostles too, the Catholic church is the church for yoooouuuuu!"

I so love my dad.

Not me, that was "Blugal".

Whatever. Blu-somebody!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Not really, because other popes have been there and delegated until the end.
    There may be more going on here than we will ever know.

It really is none of our business, internal problems and policy making is just that, in any church or any other organization out there.
    Only when there are abuses or outright law breaking involved the rest of us get to demand explanations.
    Ah, the catholic church has great influence internationally.
    Just look at all the nations that are predominately catholic (like South of The US, down to Terra de Fuego...) and there are missionaries and priests in nearly every country of the globe....you might say, they are the worlds largest spy - I mean information network!

Also, due to past traditions, the church is rich. The Vatican is still showered with expensive gifts....
    Don't mistake that for a purely religious/spiritual issue!
    It's big time politics alright.
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Pony Fixer - how would you describe yourself, in context of this thread?
    I'm not sure I understand your question. I think the Catholic Church is corrupt, broken, and .... well I could go on and on. I went to Catholic school for 12 years, was raised Catholic but in a Protestant household (long story).

I'm an atheist if that matters/is what you mean. I am tolerant of religious beliefs--all kinds in fact. I am less tolerant with the institutions related to the beliefs.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

4 members found this post helpful.

I am not Catholic, or religious in any way, but I gotta say I am liking Pope Francis so far.

The image of him washing and kissing the feet of juvenile inmates is a very powerful rebuke to the idea of the Pope as a monarch.

Could the Catholic Church really be about to radically change?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Funny, I got the opposite feeling from his gesture. I found it unnecessary and slightly gross.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

From everything I have read, he is a very conservative catholic.
    He clashed with the Argentinian president (a woman) on views re gays and contraceptives.
    Expect no changes in the church.

I think people who hope the Catholic Church is going to somehow stop being the Catholic Church because a Jesuit called Francis is the Pope are confused. There is no way someone who doesn't have deep and abiding respect for Church doctrine gets the post. That, I assume, means women stay laypersons, homosexuality stays a sin and every sperm is still sacred.

However, it is possible and would be awesome if the Church could be associated with a return to real Christlike values and actions from stem to stern. Both Catholic and Protestant priorities have been completely out of whack. Some of that may be media driven, but the party line should have always been "While that is part of our faith, it's hardly the most important part. Here's what is -" (Grace, charity, love...) The focus desperately needs to be redirected inward, to "What can I do to better emulate the Jesus?" which would greatly improve the image of the Church for Christians and non-Christians alike.

I think that's what Pope Francis is getting at with the foot-washing delinquents rather than priests and I think that's wonderful. I wonder if it's an act a bit lost on people not brought up, hmm biblically, as I was.

Anyway, this all dovetails nicely with the DVD release of the Borgias
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

3 members found this post helpful.

I am not Catholic, or religious in any way, but I gotta say I am liking Pope Francis so far.

The image of him washing and kissing the feet of juvenile inmates is a very powerful rebuke to the idea of the Pope as a monarch.

Could the Catholic Church really be about to radically change?
    Watching Pope Francis continue to push back on the artificial trappings of grandeur in his new role is refreshing and a lesson for everyone to follow, along with his message of faith, hope and love.

Not a Catholic, but Pope Francis is a much-needed breath of fresh air after the numerous scandals that have and will continue to plague the Church.

His humility is inspiring and welcomed, and the simple wooden cross he wears around his neck says it all. However, it's scary to think what could happen with him riding around in that open Jeep rather than the Pope-Mobile. There's a lot of crazy people out there.

To me, the retirement of Pope Benedict XVI was a much needed precedent. Too many of them have lingered on in their latter years, becoming little more than figureheads when urgent policy decisions needed to be made.

I wish him well.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

What Frank said, except I *am* Catholic.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief