The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmedHope View Post
    And it took him three years after those letters were discovered and a year after the case was dropped for him to resign? Please.
    We'll see what happens in the coming weeks and months
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

And then there's this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2708518.html

It might be the "easy" joke, but I have a feeling it's pretty close to "not" a joke.

I stand by my flippant remark.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Fixer View Post
    And then there's this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2708518.html

It might be the "easy" joke, but I have a feeling it's pretty close to "not" a joke.

I stand by my flippant remark.
    You just re-posted the same article that I replied to earlier so I don't see what you're getting at. The only case he was named in was dropped, quite a while ago, so I still don't understand. The other issues with him turning a blind eye, were before he was pope so you think he would of resigned years ago, when this all came out to the public.

I'm against the sexual abuse in the church, but it seems as though you all are just looking for something to bitch about. NEWSFLASH not everything is a conspiracy theory!

Sorry, I didn't click through the links. If the Vatican is concerned that Ratzinger never leave the grounds, then I would say they know there is a problem and they know it.

Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't actually out to get you. Same for conspiracy theories.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just protecting there own. I'm not saying it's right. I'm Catholic but they have done and said a lot of things that make me shake my head, including how they handle sexual abuse. Yea him staying on Vatican property is a bit weird, but they list other reason as well and they list cases from several years ago as the reason regarding the legal issues. I highly doubt that some NEW major scandal is behind all this. He's old, old people get sick. What if he has been recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's? Or terminal cancer?

You just re-posted the same article that I replied to earlier so I don't see what you're getting at. The only case he was named in was dropped, quite a while ago, so I still don't understand. The other issues with him turning a blind eye, were before he was pope so you think he would of resigned years ago, when this all came out to the public.

I'm against the sexual abuse in the church, but it seems as though you all are just looking for something to bitch about. NEWSFLASH not everything is a conspiracy theory!
    Before he was elected pope he was responsible for responding to complaints about abuse. He turned a blind eye to the reports.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

4 members found this post helpful.

I like to say that I am a "Roamin' Catholic" - in that I roamed away from the Church.

Abuse has been rife in many organisations and not just the Catholic church. Such as Scouts, other christian religions etc. I consider that a lot of this is hurled against the Catholic Church because of perceptions on their stances on various issues such as abortion, contraception etc. And some is because they are percieved as being "rich" and therefore will have deep pockets.

Some of this "abuse" is a re-litigation of how things are done now is how it should have been done then - eg discipline was a lot harder in the 30s, 40s and 50s and not only in the institutions but in people's families. Now, people are claiming that they were abused because they were caned for example. Nowadays, we discuss on this Forum a lack of manners, self discipline and the like. Do I think that people in authority went too far then? In some cases, yes I do. In other cases, there has been a little bit of black-tinted glasses looking back. (PLEASE NOTE and be very clear: I am not talking about claims of sexual abuse - sexual abuse is wrong and has always been wrong.)

I consider that it is very difficult to lay all the blame on the church itself - or, indeed, any other organisation that is beset by the same ills. Rather, the blame should be placed firmly on the perpetrators.

My considered opinion, Pope Benedict is staying within the Vatican enclave to ensure that the next pope has a clear authority to lead the Catholic church. If he lived separately - say in a monastry outside of the Vatican - he could be a source of discontent in the church. To be frank, if I was his successor (which, given I am a woman, is not likely in my life-time), I would want his wisdom and experience very close. After all, he is considered to be an awesome theologian.
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Before he was elected pope he was responsible for responding to complaints about abuse. He turned a blind eye to the reports.
    Yes and I mentioned that, in the very post you quoted, and how it came out several years ago that he did that. I doubt that, being old news, had anything to do with his resignation now.

Just to make it clear before someone tries to paint me with this brush, I DO NOT agree with how he and the church in general, responded to these reports nor do I advocate their actions when dealing with it.
    Last edited by AffirmedHope; Feb. 18, 2013 at 09:23 PM.

Have you guys seen that meme with a pic of the pope that says: "Chosen by God. Quits."?

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Sort of raises the bar with respect to what you're willing to give up for lent.
    Hahahaha good one!
    The DAY before ash Wednesday ? Honestly? Really? I don't know what to make of the timing. He couldn't have limped thru 40 more days? I'm stumped. Was it a Kardashian marketing move! Big ad for ash Wed?
    "Lighten up, Francis." -Stripes

Wow, nobody else thinks it was a totally cool move? I mean, you usually have to remove powerful old white men from office feet-first. I think this really has a chance to influence secular leadership - hey, Senator, the POPE stepped down when he got sick and elderly. Why don't you hang it up? Seriously, Benedict deserves applause for considering the needs of the office and allowing it to BE an office rather than a man.

I think he saw what happened with his predeccessor. JP did the deathgrip and it hurt the Church. To everyone snickering over possible pedophile-scandal links to Benedict, give me a break. I'd have loved to see JP go down for that scandal - it was his, bought and paid for. Benedict might have done his bidding and had a role, but if JP didn't get nailed for it, I don't see how Benedict will.

Cardinal Dolan said the Mets have a better chance at a winning season than the Catholic Church has in electing an American Pope.

Cardinal Dolan said the Mets have a better chance at a winning season than the Catholic Church has in electing an American Pope
    Sadly true and I like Cardinal Dolan.
    I hear various news items and thought he had a brain tumor discovered after he fell and hit his head in Mexico. Perhaps that all is yet another rumor. I do have to give him credit for stepping down if he is truly unable to properly do the job. Sure he could go another 10 years as an invalid and some guy in the background could make descisions while they kept him propped up. But I would like to believe that he has his wits about him enough to want an actual-active leader in that position who can keep up with the demands of the job.

Is there a list of preferito out yet? I wonder who the front runners will be.. like I said, I like Dolan but an American seems unlikely so I am thinking maybe a Hispanic. Of course there are many Italians in the voting age group so probably 1 or 2 popular candidates there. I find the whole Conclave process very interesting.

Yes and I mentioned that, in the very post you quoted, and how it came out several years ago that he did that. I doubt that, being old news, had anything to do with his resignation now.

Just to make it clear before someone tries to paint me with this brush, I DO NOT agree with how he and the church in general, responded to these reports nor do I advocate their actions when dealing with it.
    The truth is that the question of child abuses is all over the news all the time and the catholic church is a big part of those news.

It is hard to hear the word children today in some contexts without your mind wondering if that is going to be about any abuses, because that is all that we seem to be hearing.

I do think that abuses happened and were not taken care of effectively, but hidden, may be part of why he is not feeling up to his job, but also it is undeniable that he is an old man failing fast and still has enough sense to call it quits before a serious crisis, or trying to keep managing when he obviously is not up to it any more.

Heck, is the Pope not supposed to have a direct line to his God?
    Who knows, maybe his God is telling him what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpytoo View Post
    Sadly true and I like Cardinal Dolan.
    <SNIP>.
    Even after WI?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

I give a great big kudos to Benedict for accepting that he is too old and too frail to continue his very demanding job. My father is 1 year younger than he - no way could remotely do the job, just as the other octogenarians I know are not remotely physically capable of doing the job. The demands on the Pope in 2013 are not the same as they were in 1933.

To whomever mentioned it, I too hope that the antiques in Congress follow his example. There was no reason for Dick Lugar to be defeated in a primary - he should have retired. Same with Daniel Inouye, Robert Byrd, Strom Thurmond, John McCain, etc.etc.

Personally, I'm glad the chances of a progressive pope are slim to none. The last couple years I've seen some good changes in our parish, like the priests taking accountability for the fact that most of us are theological idiots. Instead of the "follow your heart & come to the conclusion" method they have used for the last 30 or 40 years, they are plainly saying that some things are just WRONG. No ifs, ands or buts, just WRONG.

I alway find it amusing, well maybe not the right term, that folks who won't go anywhere near a church are always so interested in what happens in the Church and ready to stir up hate and discontent. Same thing happened when the new Mass translation came out. Let's get all the Catholics riled up and maybe they will turn on the Pope seems to be a theme for the media. I'm just waiting for the obligatory sex scandal story that some media outlet ALWAYS breaks during Holy Week. Funny how the media doesn't do the same thing to the Muslims (as someone said, just b/c your paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you)

3 members found this post helpful.

I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

So y'all don't think it's simply that the pontiff's too pooped to pope?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    So y'all don't think it's simply that the pontiff's too pooped to pope?
    Not really, because other popes have been there and delegated until the end.
    There may be more going on here than we will ever know.

It really is none of our business, internal problems and policy making is just that, in any church or any other organization out there.
    Only when there are abuses or outright law breaking involved the rest of us get to demand explanations.

Seems rather personal to me. We all struggle with temptation, I don't think it should be made public. I can see them documenting it in an effort to decide what could be done to help them, instead of automatically assuming it's a big scandal and punishment needs to be handed out. Celibacy is hard, whether you're gay or straight.
    Quarry Rat