The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default English Bull Terrier in So VA needs a home

I need to find a new home for my 7 year old spayed English Bull Terrier. Typical Bullie who hucklebutts and prefers people time and couches. She is cat and chicken friendly but top of the pack with dogs. My life has changed a lot recently with cancer and the nonstop doctor appointments and fewer trips to the barn with her have caused her stress which is manifesting as hot spots for the first time in her life. She is respectful around horses. Can be a little rough on dog beds but is overall an easy going, fun dog who likes going to the barn every day. White with two eye patches.. really adorable. UTD on everything and vet records are available. She's an inside girl and needs her blanket to venture out during the winter but loves to lay out and bake during the summer. Very housebroken. Has been around kids as young as 2 and was careful with them but because of her size (55lbs) and playful nature, she's better with slightly bigger kids. I'd hate for her to accidentally knock a toddler over and scare them.

Please PM if she'd fit into your family. Needs a home soon as I'm leaving town for 9 weeks of treatment within the next few weeks and while I have someone to care for her, she is not happy and will be even less happy with a caretaker just checking in.

Just wanted to add some jingles for you - hope you have minimal side reactions & feel better soon

Have you contacted any breed rescues - they may be able to find a foster situation while you're away, also help place her if you really want to go that route.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Just wanted to add some jingles for you - hope you have minimal side reactions & feel better soon

Have you contacted any breed rescues - they may be able to find a foster situation while you're away, also help place her if you really want to go that route.
    I hadn't thought of rescues just because I want to be as involved as possible with choosing her person but I didn't think about the foster situation. If they'd be willing to work with me on that, it may be the best way to go! Thanks.

Depending on the rescue, given the special circumstance, you might still be allowed the deciding vote on a foster or adoption home.
    Do visit all your local vets, groomers, dog trainers, dog daycares etc in an effort to find the perfect foster situation; also check with your local health care system to see if they are involved in pet assistance or can suggest some contacts.

Also look online for any dog boards (especially breed boards) & post about your need for a short term foster situation.

ETA have you spoken with your dog's breeder? that should be another dependable resource

The breeder is retired now but I'll ask if she and her husband could have one more. I know there is a Bull Terrier Rescue in Virginia and I will contact them. Fostering sounds nice but the treatment I am having is palliative and not curative as there is currently no cure for my type of cancer. On the plus side, it is very slow growing until it metastasizes. I just don't want to end up in a situation where it progresses and I haven't arranged everything I should have. Having her back after radiation sounds nice to ME but if the disease kicks out of its indolent phase, it will not be nice for her. I don't know... I will definitely be in touch with the rescue for their thoughts also though. Thanks.

Something to think about,have you asked your friends if they would care for your dog and let you have it back when you complete treatment? A friend of mine was battling breat cancer, the treatment was not going to cure her but give her more time. When she could not care for her 2 dogs, I took them with the idea that when she could care for them, she'd have them back. They went back and forth a few times, stayed with me anywhere from 6-12 weeks, I had set up their own yard and kennel for them as they were live outside herding dogs. I walked them and played with them, etc, did dog stuff but I really didn't want them permanently, I had too many of my own dogs. Anyway, the plan was if at some point she reached the stage of her disease that she couldn't take them back I would place them with her final say. I had potential homes lined up in advance and that's what happened, the last time they stayed with me she wound up going into long term care and since she already knew the home that was willing to take them, she let me place them. She could have placed them earlier but inbetween treatments she really could take care of them and it was going to be too hard for her to feel well and think why did she give them up. Someone you know may be willing to do something like that, I had no idea she needed help, I only knew her from work initially and it was a coworker who mentioned to me she was worried about being in treatment and not being able to manage the dogs.
    The dogs by the way were fine, they adapted to the changing situation without much fuss.

I just want to say that I am sorry and I hope you find a great home for her.

I'm following up on a few leads, thanks. The problem with having a friend foster her is that all my friends already have dogs. She was very alpha with the three fixed boys she was raised with (they've all since passed), and I'm afraid that it would progress to downright aggression with other peoples' dogs. I do sometimes still take her to visit a friend's doxie but they played together as puppies. Unfortunately that friend now has a few additional doxies and I think that'd be asking for trouble.

I have uploaded some pictures of her here. This little girl was scared of dogs and Boo was very sweet and careful.

I'm friends with someone on facebook who is big into bullies. Let me contact her and see if she has any ideas.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.