The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question what do the vets recommend these days for maintenance of chronic pain?

we're going to see our lameness vet in a couple of weeks and i wanted to educate myself a bit ahead of time.

besides the obvious, bute, what else do vets recommend these days for chronic pain? our particular issue is related to suspensory pain.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I know my boarder's vet recommended Previcox for her 26 year old horse's aches and pains. For arthritis issues, Pentosan is the new thing, although I don't know if it would be much help for a suspensory issue. Surpass has been recommended as a topical.

Previcox and surpass are two of my favorites.

thank you!
    we've done pentosan in the past and yes, it works for general body aches, but you're correct, not effective (or not sufficiently effective) on the suspensory pain. i will read up on Previcoxx. i was wondering whether Surpass as a topical has any other uses besides arthritis.

Surpass is a topical anti-inflammatory--works well on joints and tendons alike. Perhaps even better on tendons as it has to penetrate less.

1 members found this post helpful.

good point. i could use it for my own back pain...

Previcox is awesome

Our BO was recently heard to say that she had seen nothing like the Previcox. Two senior horses & her dog are on it. They get they doggie version for everyone bc it's cheaper.

Suspensory pain is usually associated with a need for rehab, anything else is just masking the pin and setting the horse up for a less useful life.

In that case anti-inflammatories are prescribed to help lessen initial damage, but not so the horse can be used.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

merrygoround
    she has chronic desmitis of traumatic origin in both hind suspensories . pain management is really the only thing left for her at this point besides proper shoeing. we did all the standard rehabs following initial diagnosis - shockwave, PRP and tendon slicing, etc. she's 22 years old and the initial diagnosis was 4 years ago.

My vets also suggest previcoxx.

We used the Previcoxx on our arthritic mare. She got SMALL doses, I want to say it was a dog pill, 227g, broken up into quarters. She got one quarter a day, so 55g or there about. Vet said horses react strongly to a MUCH LESSER dose than dogs do, don't need as much. Have to say she really did very well on this small dose, MUCH more active in the field grazing, coming up for drinks and trotting freely, even cantered now and again!!

Per advice from COTH folks here, I kept her on the Previcoxx for 14 days, then off for 12 days, then on again for 14 days, with no real change in her improved movement. Someone explained that the effectiveness would max out at the 14 day limit, so feeding her meds continuously, didn't have much effect as time went on. They said the med effect would still continue for about 14 days after you quit feeding it, and gave good reasons I can't remember. Comments were from a poster about whom I have a good opinion of their information, so I thought on and off medicating was worth trying. I know other meds can work that way also.

They said the meds effect ran out at about 14 days, so I figured 12 days off the Previcoxx, then restarting would keep the horse from being in pain at as much as possible. I gave it a trial run with the 14 days of meds, then 12 days off, then 14 days on, 12 days off and liked how she looked in her movement. So I just kept on with that program, horse was quite happy with it too. She didn't like the pills, but I devised a way to MAKE SURE she swallowed it, knew it was working for her.

I did save money, by using less meds in a month, so that also was helpful. Meds stayed effective with her arthritus issues. Told my Vet about "stretching it" out with the pills, still worked effectively on mare, so he could add that to his information in dosing other horses.

Mare had no soft tissue injuries, no leg damage issues, just severe arthritus in her neck vertabrae. She had broken her neck as a yearling, arthritus was in those vertabrae after a 10 year working life at high level compettitons.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    We used the Previcoxx on our arthritic mare. She got SMALL doses, I want to say it was a dog pill, 227g, broken up into quarters. She got one quarter a day, so 55g or there about. Vet said horses react strongly to a MUCH LESSER dose than dogs do, don't need as much. Have to say she really did very well on this small dose, MUCH more active in the field grazing, coming up for drinks and trotting freely, even cantered now and again!!
    This is not a small dose for a horse. That is the standard dose for a horse. One tube of Equioxx contains just shy of 57 mg firocoxib--pretty much exactly the same as one quarter of a 227 mg pill.

Dogs are not horses and horses are not dogs and drug dosages cannot be extrapolated from one to the other

2 members found this post helpful.

Goodhors, your post is very helpful and I don't think it can be said enough that the horse dose is smaller than for dogs because most people would ASSume otherwise... FWIW, my 60lb majorly arthritic dog does great with just the quarter tab as well.

My vet had recommended for older aged arthritic horses, three days of 57mg, then just every other day. Would be interesting to compare with the 14 days on and 12 off.

My mare is on the 57 mg Previcox pill every day. She starts being gimpy if we even go to every other day. However, I have absolutely no problem with her eating the pill either with her beet pulp or just out of my hand! In the summer, when the horses are out 24/7, the BO just puts it in her mouth and makes sure she swallows it.

She takes it to help the pain from ring bone and it has been working for the last 2 years +.

I have two of my horses on Previcox. One of my horses was really bad; swelling in the hind legs, swelling in the sheath and back end problems - falling down. Vet had me put him on Previcox and he is doing great. I would think it really depends on what is going on with your horse and only your vet can tell you.

But I too agree with Previcox being a wonderful help for the older horses aches and pains.

As far a dosing - my big horse gets 1 1/2 pills a day other gets 1 pill a day per vet.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    As far a dosing - my big horse gets 1 1/2 pills a day other gets 1 pill a day per vet.
    I really hope you are talking about the 57 mg pills. 1 or 1.5 of the 227 mg tablets would be an incredible, shocking overdose for an equine.

What are the guidelines for using Previcox in competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I really hope you are talking about the 57 mg pills. 1 or 1.5 of the 227 mg tablets would be an incredible, shocking overdose for an equine.
    I'm assuming she's talking about the 57mg pills. I have a bottle of Previcox for my beastie and it's the 57mg chewable tablet.

Well, the old mare was "Queen of Everything", so a bit of Princess attitude about her pill wasn't a huge problem. She was a working girl who ALWAYS gave 110% when you asked, just a lovely horse who was fun to live with. She was never nasty about dropping the pill, but I learned I had to SEE that she swallowed it. I could find that tiny bit of dropped pill in the aisle, not in stall bedding. I put it way back on her tongue, gave her some carrot, while standing in the aisle. Then a second and third bit of carrot to eat to keep her swallowing. I figured if she hadn't dropped the pill part by then she had eaten it. She DID sort the pill out of her wet beet pulp and not eat it. Maybe because it was the dog pill, not flavorful to her. I loved her, Princess or not!

No one around me is using Previcoxx, so I want to be VERY specific in talking to others about how small a dose she got. As mentioned, dogs get a LOT BIGGER dose most times, which "seems" odd looking at an 80# dog and a 1500# horse. I NEVER want to presume person "knows this" about any kind of medication, so I spell it out EVERY time. Exception seems to be COTH depth of knowledge, but even then folks don't all know the same information, so best to always mention details in posting.