The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question ne cothers aRE YOU DUG OUT YET?

how much snow did you get ? The winds sounded horrible
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

I'm in south central CT, about 8-10 miles from the shore.
    3' of snow. It definitely was windy, but we didn't get the 60 mph they were predicting here. Astoundingly we didn't lose power.

We just got a strip of the driveway cleared last night, there is too much snow for my little tractor to handle coming out of the garage. And I loaned out the big tractor to a rescue that really needed one. So we were snowed in for 48 hours before we could benefit from my neighbor's tractor, she has the same as our big tractor. But better chains. Even then it took 2.5 hours to get from the street to my house.

Tough part is you can't walk in this either. The snow is a bit past my hips, the drifts are past my chest. The bright side is, just slogging through this to the barn back and forth, I lost 3.5 lbs in 36 hours, LOL! First time down after the snow stopped, it took me 40 minutes to wallk the 300' or so feet to my barn.

So far still no cars going by on the road yet, but plows are. Our roads were plowed out Saturday, but a lot of towns and cities around here have a lot of their roads still not plowed.

Horses love it...they blasted out of the barn Saturday morning to run around in the snow. Petey ran out, there was a Poof! and a Whump! and when the snow cleared there was Petey standing there looking like a pull-toy...snow past his belly, LOL! Only way they can move around through the fresh snow is to rear and jump. But they're already packed down a big area themselves. And they're playing like crazy.

Got Mr Blue out to work today and later on I'll dig out the truck and then see if I can blast it through the snow around it. I'll also take the little tractor out and dig at other parts of the driveway now that the big tractor did the hard part. Sucky thing is: today it's warm and raining. *sigh*
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

OMG MistyBlue! We got 23 inches and were all dug out by Saturday around 1. I went to the barn. Was the only boarder there. Their snow plow guy still hadn't shown up yesterday. They used their medium size tractor to plow a way in. I have a good story about what my idiot horse did but want to post it on another thread. No power outages, YAY!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

No school again today. I am a little worried about the rain we are getting today..

Wow, MB. I can not imagine three feet. Glad your neighbor was able to help and everyone is OK.

Maybe 2 1/2 to 3' here. (SE CT) Problem is we got ice too. Mass destruction of trees and shrubs! And it is difficult to tell how much snow because it is hard to get to the bottom of it! The last foot or so is like icy concrete! Basically we had an ice storm followed by a blizzard. Good part is the dogs can walk on top of some of it and not disappear...

Lost power Friday night. (80% of town lost power) My fireplace is not meant for heating. Went through my entire stash of dry firewood and paper logs by Sunday morning. It was 45 near the fireplace. Nice neighbor used his big snowblower to clean most of the driveway, but there was no budging the glacier the plows created at the end. So Sunday I was cold, tired, with Reynauds acting up and wanted OUT! Tried hacking at the pile but then a private plow came by. I flagged him down and got that pile moved!

I decided to head for the shelter 3 miles away. My through town road was not too bad, but the state road, which is the main road through town, was horribly rutted, icy and slushy. Made it to the Town shelter and got warm for about 5 hours. Then my power came back on! Roads were a bit better coming back but still bad.

No school today, sleety rain falling now. I am safe and warm and staying put. One of those times I am glad I baord my horse with someone I trust completely.

I am about ten miles below the storm's snow line! Yeahhh. We only got about 10 inches and most is melted into morning ice by now! Temps rising, snow vanishing........

I live in Buffalo.

We had snow, and the amount of time I spent shoveling it was 0 minutes. It was not deep enough to prevent the car from entering or exiting the driveway, so I considered my work done upon shifting into "park."

We had more snow over Thanksgiving, which actually required me to bring forth the shovel to get in the driveway upon my return, but apparently this storm was the biggie. Ok then.

OliverReed...we got a little more than a foot more than you did. I was surprised as heck! Especially since all the weather reports said highest totals for my area would be 18-24 inches tops and only northeast CT and eastern MA would get clobbered with more than 30".
    And it went opposite that, LOL! I was shocked as hell when I woke up Saturday morning and there was that much snow! 2 winters ago we had a foot more, 4 feet on the ground. BUT...that fell at a foot or less at a time. So easy to clean up. 37 inches all at once is a LOT!

Trub...my neighbor's tractor is the exact same one I lent out, LOL! My husband was like "Oh sure! We give our 33DA away and now need to use Lynn's 33DA!" Although hers has loaded tires, my 33DA's tires aren't loaded. Big difference in this fluff!

MsM, I heard your area got hit with ice too! That stinks! We had little to no tree damage. And even though my town and surrounding towns lose power all the time...for slight breezes or 3" of snow...we didn't lose power with this one because there wasn't any tree damage. No build up on the branches thank goodness! Even my friend's Newfie dogs disappear in this! Our area roads are cleared...single lane but cleared. They're still asking us to stay off the roads so they can keep clearing. A LOT of towns and cities have less than 25% of their roads plowed at all yet!

So...I just keep baking. If nothing else, all the plow guys will be fat.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

If it makes you guys feel better, I am heading out later today to clean the yard and lane for probably the 70th time this winter. Snow removal has been at least a twice weekly ritual since October and I have run out of room to park the stuff - cannot get to the field anymore as the yard is ringed with rock hard 3' drifts just perfect for getting the tractor stuck and have to run everything to the hay land. -
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

About 2 1/2 feet where I am. We dug out the truck on Saturday, and my car yesterday. No sidewalks where we are, so no worries about that.

BO did an AMAZING job of getting things cleared. The barn was closed on Saturday while it was all happening, but they got the paddocks and the route to them plowed early enough that most horses got at least an hour or two of turnout. As of yesterday everything was back to normal at the barn.

Today I am in Boston working, and it's much worse down here because there is simply no place to put all the snow. Tiny side streets aren't yet plowed out, four-lane roads are reduced to one lane in each direction, etc.

One thing I will say: for all the whining and complaining, I think the driving ban (with some exceptions, and not heavily enforced) put into effect as of 4 p.m. Friday was a good thing. It made road clearing much easier, emergency personnel could get where they needed to, probably a lot fewer people were hurt in car accidents, etc. So far only two deaths are reported in MA, both people who were sitting in running cars with blocked tailpipes, who died of CO poisoning.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I'm in RI. I spent all day Saturday digging the house and barn out. The horses went right out Saturday morning as soon as I could get them out of the barn and they were happy as clams playing in the snow.

We had no power for 48 hours and my house was 40 degrees, so that was not a good time. The wood stove does not heat the house well at all when the electric blower isn't working. But we survived and keeping the faucets dripping probably saved the pipes from freezing/bursting. Power was restored Sunday afternoon and within 5 minutes I had every appliance in the house running at full speed (washing machine, dishwasher, wood stove blower, etc). I had to do a whole weekend's worth of laundry in one night but I got it done!

I love my Subaru - it was a beast in the snow and had no problems. The driving ban did not affect us because we had no heat/power and were able to leave to seek some.

On Sunday we got out for a snow ride and had a blast. http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1e5de251.jpg

It is currently in the 40's and raining so I am glad we got to enjoy the snow yesterday because from now on it's going to be nothing but a slushy, icy mess.

I'm not excited for this week's storms

I mentioned on another thread we got 21 inches (SE CT), lost power from 7 PM Fri. until about 4 PM yesterday. We had a generator, so not too bad in the house...didn't run the washer though, did 3 loads of laundry today

Horses in again, we probably got about an inch or so of rain today, so now there is nasty slush everywhere, ugh!!

Hubby plows for a major company here, so he made some VERY good $$, but man, did he work for it! He's been sleeping really well all weekend-when he was able to sleep... He was up for 30+ hours straight from Friday afternoon through Saturday!

The worst part has been the tree damage-so many down in the paddocks, and our driveway. We have a 200+ YO tree at the front of the driveway, it will probably have to come down soon...a large branch sheared off and exposed the heart of the tree...But, we need to get through the rest of the winter first...

I'm in a large apartment complex in Hamden (New Haven County). According to the National Weather Service's accumulation measurements we got 40" total. I managed to dig out my vehicle between Saturday and Sunday. The apartment complex has a really good snow removal crew and they have had plows and front end loaders running almost non-stop since Saturday so we are in much better shape than most of town. Even main roads around here were spotty, though passable for the most part this morning. Town officials are reporting that it will be late Wednesday before all (or nearly all) roads are passable. Hopefully we don't get slammed with another big snow this coming weekend - its being mentioned as a possibility. Really, really glad my horse is still in FL at this point.

About 2 1/2 feet here, with huge snow drifts.
    In the 23 years I've been here I never had to actually dig my car out, but this time, it was just BURIED. lol.

The BO did a good job clearing my horse's attached paddock, I helped with a shovel, but we couldn't get a path cleared all the way to the big paddock, so the horses are on limited turnout right now. Rode through the smaller (3') snowdrifts to get to the ring, deep snow only allowed for a bit of trot, but I think Mare was happy to get moving. Wanted to explode, but couldn't really, hehe.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!