The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Volvos any good?

DD needs a car that is better in snow for college so Im looking at a Volvo early 00 model S60, we owned many Volvos until the XC70 & SWORE no more Volvo, did Volvo ever get its mojo back from the Ford deal? Or still avoid em like the plage?

I dont really care what brand she gets, DH doesnt like GM & loves Japanese cars (sorry but usually good). Looking to spend ~$3500 or little more. Cant touch Sube or 4x4 trucks for that around here even rust buckets but other brand ideas welcome. Thx.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I LOOOOVE Volvo! I had an S40, V79, and V50. My mom has an XC70, my dad has a C30 and my sister has an XC90, a Volvo family! If you do look at the S60, look for one prior to 2009, the turning radius on them is terrible! My dad had an 09 S60 that drove like a boat. If you are looking for a good car in the snow I can't think of anything better than V70 or XC70.

I just bought a new car this January, and I went straight to the Volvo dealer. When I didn't see exactly what I liked used, I looked at the SAAB dealer. SAAB is very similar to Volvo saftey wise, and I just love a good Sweedish car! Since SAAB went out of business, the dealer knocked quite a bit off the sticker price. I got a 4 year/60k mile warrantee and a brand new car for the same price as a 08 Volvo S40 with 40k miles.

Morgan did your family have any trouble w/ the Volvos?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

We have a 2004 S60R that we bought with 34,000 miles on in and it now is approaching 100,000 miles. We LOOOVE our volvo too!

No real issues except our sunroof stopped working (needed a new computer chip). Drives wonderfully!!!

We just sent a 1989 Volvo wagon to Purple Heart last year. Still ran great, but couldn't come with us on the move. That thing was a tank.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Not any! My parents have had Volvos for 20+ years with no trouble! I LOVED my dads 1987 240. He sold it with 150k miles. My moms 850 wagon lasted well over 100k miles as well. I've never had any trouble with any of my Volvos either. The only complaint I ever had with my V50 was that the frame was too low to the ground. I cracked the front bumber once or twice hitting pot holes on dirt roads. They're super reliable cars.

We bought a 240 with 155K & sold it with more, lost track of it with 200+K, all 4 of our Volvos until the last one were good but that one broke every 6 weeks to $600+ each time, I was hopeing they were better now.

We have a '12 S60 and love it no problems.

I love them, have owned 3, but haven't found them to be good in the snow.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Really, Kcmel? They're made in Sweeden, it's hard to find better cars for winter driving. Did you put snow tires on? I'm in northern Vermont and love mine in the winter. Mine have taken me through many a nor'easter with no trouble. The stability and traction control are amazing. I love the manual option too, so easy when you need to downshift and get a little more grip going down snowy hills.

John Deere, I have the 70, but not sure if it's an XC. I love that car. It has 245,000 miles on it and it's my little buddy. Starts when it's 0' runs pretty well and just does what it's supposed to do. Compared to my brand new Jeep Cherokee that died at 80,000 miles and my Ford Taurus Wagon that gave it up at 120,000 miles, it's a miracle car. I would highly recommend a Volvo.

We bought our first Volvo about 26 years ago after some friends were hit by a drunk driver in their Volvo sedan. When it was all said and done they were left basically in a steel cage hanging upside down in their seats. The CHP said the car had to of rolled at least a dozen times! They both had cuts and scrapes and she had a broken collarbone and bruises from the seat belts. The CHP told them that they probably would have died if they weren't in their Volvo!

The CHP told them it is the only car he lets his wife drive! They are super cars! We had a number of them over the years and they always ran great and had few to no problems.

I was rear ended in mine and the car that hit me was destroyed and my Volvo had hardly any damage. They are damn tanks!!!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

We love our '89 wagon, which at about 200,000 miles is just getting broken in.

Volvos were bullitproof until mid 90s when they were bought out by an American car co then they went to *()) in a handbasket. I was just wondering if they are any better since they broke lose from that car co. The 850s was just junk AFAIK.

And KCMEL is right some arent good in snow unless its the Sweden/Vermont kind of dry powder, down here we have lots of wet snow and they slide like a feed sack. AWD helps but I put my XC70 in the ditch more than my RWD Ford van!

I found my volvo, which is only a front wheel drive, is great in the snow. But then I'm used to driving stupid rear wheel drive cars in icy conditions so I'm pretty careful.

My aunt has driven a volvo since I can remember. She would put a ton of miles on it with no problems and give it away and buy another. The one she gave away went on and on for many more thousands of miles. We would have one in a minute if we could afford them.

See if you can find an 06 or 07 (older models are likely cheaper!) Suzuki SX4. It's little & easy to park and drive, but fits a TON of stuff and is a beast in the snow. (If you get the AWD version!) I live in Canada, and we get a ton of snow here, and I've gotten stuck once in 3 years...because I leterally drove into a snowbank. Starts in -40 like a dream, too.

candyappy,
    Volvos are made to be bought second hand. They last forever. In fact there was an article about them in some car/consumer magazine that said one of their downsides are they lose their value quickly--which is great for people who don't HAVE to have a new car. Mine had almost 100K on it when I got it for a very low price. Actually I was also looking at honda civics and for the same price range as the volvo I got I could only find really age-worn civics.

We have a 2005 XC90 which is during the time Volvo was owned by Ford. It has been a hassle free and safe car to own and drive.

My husband is driving his 13th Volvo. Actually, he has owned a Rover and a Chev. All his other cars have been Volvos. We both drive 2004 models. I never remember what his is (60 R or something like that, stick shift). I drive a XC70 and love it. No problem whatsoever with either one. Mine has over 200 000 k and his is close to that.
    My daughter drives a 1999 S70 sedan, named Victor, which she loves! It has over 300 000 k. We have replaced the A/C and the fuel pump, done the brakes obviously. My son drives a 2000 S70 sedan with high 200 000 km. Both are standard transmissions. He also replaced the A/C.
    My daughter drove through yesterday snow storm, steady and safely. She loves her car and intends to drive it to 500 000 km.
    It helps that we have a wonderful mechanic, a Volvo whisperer!!