The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help.. I just moved my horse and he won't eat

My 25 y.o. TB hasn't eaten more than a few bites of food since yesterday. His food was moved with him, so is identical. The environment is different, but safe. He has a stall and run. He spends his time pacing, or staring off into space.
    I know he should snap out of this, but am worried.
    Thoughts/Ideas?

Did you take his temperature? Is he drinking? Have you tried feeding a treat like a carrot/apple? Is there grass where you can hand graze him? Is he normally a good eater?

His move was only 15 minutes away. He has had some water. He doesn't seem sick, just upset, and distressed. He is not very interested in treats. He is not normally a great eater. Grazing is a good idea, but there is not much grass here right now. I might let him try and find some tomorrow.

Get gastrogard or ulcergard in him quickly.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Get gastrogard or ulcergard in him quickly.
    That and maybe some ranitidine. Also, when I am going to be doing something out of the ordinary, I will put my sensitive TB on a probiotic for a few days before and after the "out of ordinary" activity (showing, moving, etc. etc.)

Was he part of a group? Is he now alone? They do form partnerships, particularly if he was at his previous location for awhile.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mooonie View Post
    He has had some water. .
    Check carefully his water intake and only toss 1 flake of hay at a time. It will be easier to monitor him that way.

You might want to use a water bucket and fill it with lukewarm water.
    He might not be drinking enough, so he won't eat.
    Maybe there is something he doesn't like about the water smell or taste or maybe it is too cold.

Ulcer treatment is also a good idea.

If you could get him to eat some calming supplement if you have some and he's used to. Call your vet.

Is he still pooping?

My mare was off her feed for almost 4 days when we moved to a new place across the street from old place. She is typically a chow hound, so I was shocked. With an older horse, it must be even more scary/frustrating. All recs above are good. Hopefully he will come around soon.

good luck

I found that if I walk him up and down the barn aisle and let him "graze" on loose hay, he is interested in eating. But as soon as I put him back in the stall he is listless again. It's probably a social issue and he thinks he needs to see the other horses in order to feel safe enough to eat.
    This evening, I might break up a flake of hay, and scatter it along the aisle so he can graze on it. Hmm, wonder what the new barn owner will think?

is there a paddock you can turn him out in where he can see the other horses, and get fed out there? I used to teach at a place where there was one horse that wasn't thrilled with stalls, so she got to stay in the center aisle of the barn and eat hay out there, and she was happy as a clam.

My mare, who gets ulcers, is anxious in her stall and will not eat, but will eat perfectly fine turned out.

You just moved him to a new place, the move itself is stressful, the new surroundings are stressful...

If it were my horse, I would administer a tube of UlcerGard for a few days, then 1/2 tube for a few more days, then 1/4 tube for a few more days, then none.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

My mare was off her feed for about a week the last time I moved her.

I was pretty concerned about colic and her water intake so I fed her a fair amount of very wet soaked beet pulp 2-3 times a day for that first week. Luckily, while she wasn't eating her hay, she was willing to slurp down the beet pulp. I believe she would have colicked without it.