The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Chia Seeds

Do you feed them whole or ground and how much?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I can't remember how I fed them, that was last month's en vogue feed. This is a new month, and I am already looking to see what is en vogue for next month.

1 members found this post helpful.

I feed them whole and eat some myself whole as well. Yeah, I guess it's en vogue, or not, oh well.

Whole.

I read about them on this board. I forget whose vet told her to feed them to help prevent colic. I feed them for the omega3 as well. They have less omega6 than flax seeds, and more omega3 than flax seeds. Plus, I had to buy the stabllized ground flax seeds which I had been told to do by the seminole nutritionist, because when I fed the whole flax seeds, the ones that were not ground up by horse teeth ended up sprouting in the manure.

In my basic scientific study of whole chia seeds, I've found that they do not go through the gut whole as do flax and tomato seeds. The only ones I see growing are those I spill as I sprinkle them on top of my horses' soaked pellets.

I feed a handful every morning in their breakfast. I'm not very scientific about measuring. I do not soak the seeds. I sprinkle the on the soaked pellets.
    And I buy the black seeds, human grade, from Getchia.com in the 12 pound amt. I'm always amazed that little packets of chia seeds for humans in stores are so expensive. And I don't buy the white seeds as I don't see any difference between them and the black seeds. (I guess on off topic day some of those folks might only buy white seeds?)

Also, chia seeds do not add weight to my 2, but flax seeds did.

Google the seeds and see how they are/were used by the Indians. I eat some of my horses' seeds.

ETA: I've been feeding them for a couple of years now.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Feb. 13, 2013 at 01:59 PM.

I started feeding Chia seeds at the advice of my veterinarian, she suggested them to help stabilize his digestive system and boost his immune system. We feed 1/3 cup once a day. I eat the fruit bars with the chia! They really do fill you up. They were offered when I bought the equine product. I also got them at Getchia.com. He also gets stabilized flax and probiotics so we can tackle his skin allergy. Still experimenting!

Thank you. I was looking for an Omega3 boost and thought this might be the ticket.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant