The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Registry options for non-approved TB-sired foal?

Sorry, I know these registry questions have been asked over and over, but the search function is failing me miserably and I am a little confused.

What registry options (other than AWS/AWR) would I have for a foal sired by an unapproved TB stallion, out of my Westphalian mare?

TIA!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Where is your mare approved? I would think you could take the foal to an inspection where she is approved or is eligible for approval and have the foal approved just as though he were out of a Thoroughbred mare and by an approved wb stallion.
    PennyG

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    Where is your mare approved? I would think you could take the foal to an inspection where she is approved or is eligible for approval and have the foal approved just as though he were out of a Thoroughbred mare and by an approved wb stallion.
    PennyG
    Currently not approved with any other registries. From what I've been reading, the stallion would need to be approved prior to inspection of the mare/foal for full papers to be issued to such a foal. I read somewhere that it might be possible to get the mare approved RPSI with the foal at her side, and the foal would be given the half brand (register B?). I've sent emails to a few different registries, but it looks like the RPSI folks are out until the 18th. It's not particularly time-sensitive, I was just curious.

I don't know if the Westphalians issues a COP, assuming your mare is in the MMB -- but I would call to find out.

Yes, if your mare is presented and accepted in the MMB with the RPSI, your foal could get a 1/2 brand.

Other option is skip it all and register with the Performance Horse Registry in Lexington. Just verifies parentage. That's all.

That's all I can think of.

Lucky me, both KWPN and RPSI were kind enough to respond.

RPSI would give the foal a COP and half brand upon inspection of the mare/foal.
    KWPN would register the foal in Register B, which is not eligible for inspection.

RPSI requires inspection of the mare.
    KWPN only requires that the breeding be reported and DNA provided.

Haven't heard back from the Westphalian folks, although I know the last time I contacted them it took a few days to get a response.

However if the stallion earned over $100,000 on the track and your mare goes through RPSI approval, the foal is eligible for a full brand/ registration with RPSI
    The rebel in the grey shirt

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    PennyG
    FWIW, if the stallion is not approved, the foal would only be eligible for a COP from OHBS/GOV - and I believe the Westphalians have pretty much the same policy. And it doesn't matter if the sire is WB, TB, etc. - if he isn't approved, the foal isn't accepted for regular registration papers. And even the COP would depend on the mare being inspected and approved.

IOW -
    Approved TB mare and approved WB stallion = regular registration papers
    Approved WB mare and non-approved stallion of any breed = COP
    Non-approved WB mare and non-approved stallion of any breed = nada

You could just breed your mare to an approved KWPN stallion and get Register A papers.... Check out the website (kwpn-na.org) to see which stallions are in the US and can ship fresh semen.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    You could just breed your mare to an approved KWPN stallion and get Register A papers.... Check out the website (kwpn-na.org) to see which stallions are in the US and can ship fresh semen.
    Ya think? That wasn't really the question, but I appreciate the input nonetheless.

1 members found this post helpful.

My bad.... I thought the reason for going with the TB stallion was because of a fresh semen requirement, not necessarily the horse itself.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    My bad.... I thought the reason for going with the TB stallion was because of a fresh semen requirement, not necessarily the horse itself.
    I'm confused by what you mean, but I do have a particular (TB) stallion in mind causing me to ask this question. I have to say I've been very impressed with 3 out of the 4 registries I've contacted, all have responded quickly and been a great help, walking me through the requirements for eligibility for each book.

1 members found this post helpful.