The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does anyone else just feel completely swamped?

I think I'm mostly just posting this in hopes that it makes me feel a little less overwhelmed.

This semester has been awful. All of my classes require a ton of reading and I was the dumb one who decided it would be a good idea to take difficult (although interesting) classes as electives instead of something simple like underwater basket weaving.

My job in ROTC is S3 (so in charge of training and operations). The amount of work is insane. They are really trying to push us and don't get me wrong, I appreciate that because it is going to make me better prepared in the long run. But I only have time to do so much. It's even worse now because one of the guys who works under me doesn't have his s#*t together and after trying to help him get things straightened out, I finally had to take everything and do it myself. I am in the process of tasking these things out to other people but I don't know what is more stressful- trying to find the time to do it myself or trying to find someone who will do it right and in a timely manner. Everyone knows that I get things done fast and get them done right, and consequently I usually end up as the "go to" person whenever something needs to be done if it doesn't fit under anyone's direct responsibilities.

I'm also working on a research paper with a partner under my colonel's guidance with hopes to get it published. We are so behind on it and I feel as if I'm not pulling my weight on the research because I just. have. no. time.

ROTC work is cutting majorly into my school work and I am sure it is going to show on my grades. The past couple weeks have been so crazy busy that I've had to read/study for daily discussions/quizzes during the hour I have between each of my classes. When I'm not in class I'm either in a meeting or frantically trying to study/get work done while still attempting to get to sleep before midnight (which doesn't happen often) so that I can get some sleep before waking up at 4:45.

By Friday I am completely exhausted. I usually pass out by 9 and sleep til noon the next day.

I'm a perfectionist and want things done right the first time and done quickly. Last summer I had a captain tell me that I cared too much about my work and I am beginning to think he was right.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

I'm just stressed. Recently had a serious talk with boyfriend of five years...he's no longer the boyfriend, because he does not see "a future" for us at any point, and that's something that I really want. So I'm single for Valentine's, and everything else has aligned so that in ANY of my various social circles, I'm the ONLY single one. You think I exaggerate...I don't! My one consolation is that my core group is being very supportive and ditch their boyfriends regularly, and a friend from another group is in a long distance relationship so she hangs out with me regularly.

I am also struggling to find a job that makes me happy while offering me enough money so that I can continue to afford my two horses. And NO, every "mature" person in my life, I cannot "just sell the horses." I am lucky lucky that I am living at home, with a stable (but low-paying) job, with no pressure to move out.

The "annoying girl" from my program just scored a job, on her FIRST interview. I have been to four interviews so far...two I posted about on the "bad interviews" thread, and they CLEARLY weren't panning out. One I figured I had a chance for but they ended up going with someone more experienced. And the fourth hurts the most because I was working with a recruiter, who really talked the position up, and my likeliness of getting it. I had a KILLER interview, ending with the department head saying "I feel really, really good about this, I'll get back to you after the weekend!" It was an entry-level job in a great environment that would really launch my career....I got the call after the weekend that they had "gone with someone more experienced."

If I am not experienced enough for the entry level positions, what on earth am I supposed to do?!

Meanwhile, I have a lovely coming-5 yo TB mare who is really something SPECIAL. The nicest horse I've ever had access to, that's for sure. And yet I am in such a state that I feel like I cannot drag myself out to the barn to ride her, and have been begging other people to hop on her instead, since she loses her appetite when she's not in regular work. (My QH gelding finds that idea baffling!)

Phew.

Good vent session!

As for you, OP....you know what the issue is. (Too many stressors.) Try to find a way of reducing....you DON'T have to be wonder woman, really!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

*hugs The Shanny like a stuffed animal*

Get rid of that zero-defect mentality. It's not wanted in the Army and it will kill you as an officer. One of the biggest - if not the biggest - complaints coming from Army personnel - both enlisted and officers - is the festering presence of the zero-defect mentality from top to bottom, especially in the officer corps at the ranks Captain and above. It only hurts everyone when "Don't do anything wrong!" is the name of the game. It's okay to make mistakes and occasionally screw up. You can only be all that you can be in the Army by being human and not a precision machine.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Get rid of that zero-defect mentality. It's not wanted in the Army and it will kill you as an officer. One of the biggest - if not the biggest - complaints coming from Army personnel - both enlisted and officers - is the festering presence of the zero-defect mentality from top to bottom, especially in the officer corps at the ranks Captain and above. It only hurts everyone when "Don't do anything wrong!" is the name of the game. It's okay to make mistakes and occasionally screw up. You can only be all that you can be in the Army by being human and not a precision machine.
    You can't screw up too much or make too many mistakes or you cost lives and ruim very expensive equipment.

I feel ya. I work full time and am a junior in college full time. Oh, my major is Accounting so I don't get any cream puff classes either LOL!

The best way to reduce work stress for you (I've been there!) is to be open with your superiors. Talk candidly with whomever you report to. Find a mentor to hear you out and guide you also .

Best to ya! Gotta hit the hay early to get up to study Taxation before work
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I'm exhausted. Our mare is getting ready to foal...I do foal watch on a breeding farm, plus bookwork and stalls. I work 30-35 hours/week in a bank. That job (and the people) is making me crazy and also not paying my bills. I traded Saturdays with someone so I'm working 6-day weeks twice a month at the bank. It'll pay off in summer when I have those Saturdays off, but I don't even know that I'll still BE there to enjoy having them of.

I have had some health problems crop up...also I got FAT over the winter. So I don't feel well to exercise, which means I don't, which means I feel guilty for not taking my dog out so HE can exercise.

Also I'm broke. Will have some good money coming in the end of the month but until then it's pasta and popcorn.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Hmm. I definitely agree with you there. With that being said, I don't think I have the "don't do anything wrong/don't make any mistakes" mentality but the "I am reliable and want to make sure everything is done on time how it is supposed to be". Maybe they're the same thing, I don't know. I make my fair share of mistakes, trust me lol. But to me there is a difference between "I don't want to screw this up" and "this is straight forward and there's no reason why it can't be done right".

The biggest stressor to me is that I am worrying that I'm not able to put the necessary amount of time into studying and my grades are going to suffer.

I think I'm going to go to bed. I've been up late trying to get caught up on studying this weekend for a test tomorrow and I'm just exhausted to the point where I'm not comprehending what I'm reading right now. I'll get up extra early tomorrow to continue I guess.

To those who are stressed out right now as well, find an outlet. Do something that is not at all related to whatever your stressors are. I should take my own advice...
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

You have to delegate, and triage your work. You have to. Otherwise it'll suck everything you've got to give and more. That's what I tell my Capts when I see them staying late trying to get work done - it will still be there tomorrow. They're not leading a freaking charge right now, it's paperwork. It can wait.

Work/life balance is a big buzzword right now. Not because the military really cares if you have a life, but because they know they're burning out good people. If the hard-working, conscientious people get burned out and leave, only the slackers who don't really care about the work will remain, since...well, you can't burn those people out.

1 members found this post helpful.