The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think mine are still hanging around in my mother's basement. Loved those books!

Default Rabbit Rabbit

Oh I read them all. And I loved them! I thought Honey was the rich kid. I don't remember Diana. Wasn't Diana the same as Miss Trask?
    ven though it has been nearly 50 years, I think I still have mine. The first two are my favorites. When she sees the horse trailer come up. I remember it all so vividly. GREAT books!
    Another killer of threads

I couldn't get enough of the Trixie Belden books as a kid. Still have all of them and a few of the newer ones. All the girls in our neighborhood have borrowed them. I usually read one a year just to go back to those memories.

My favorite was The Mystery off Glen Road. The cover picture is Trixie holding a saddle. She and Honey did a lot of riding in that one.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    Oh I read them all. And I loved them! I thought Honey was the rich kid. I don't remember Diana. Wasn't Diana the same as Miss Trask?
    ven though it has been nearly 50 years, I think I still have mine. The first two are my favorites. When she sees the horse trailer come up. I remember it all so vividly. GREAT books!
    Both Honey and Diana were rich. I think that Diana's family used to just be middle class, and then her dad made money, but I can't remember how. Someone else might have better memory than I do. Miss Trask was Honey's governess.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

1 members found this post helpful.

I was not around for the first printing, but not too long ago they re-released the first 15? I think and I have those. They were great! I totally envied Honey and Trixie... they got to ride around the countryside whenever they wanted!

Loved them even more than Nancy Drew! I remember the first Christmas when I got a bunch from my Great Aunt.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Default Trixe Belden

I am gonna get flamed --All of The Black Stallion,the Island Stallion,all of Walter Farely's books-so be it!!

Titles 34-36 are usually quite expensive, but those are inferior quality anyway. I think of 1-16 as "canon" but enjoy a few of the later titles like Headless Horseman. Trixie was da bomb! There are some good fansites including one that organizes trips to series-related sites. The next one is to Trixie's own Hudson River Valley. They have done Williamsburg and the James River plantations for Emeralds, St. Louis for Mississippi, Iowa for Happy Valley, etc.

Random House put out titles 1-15 in the early 2000s - nice hb editions. Didnt do too well and some are already expensive on abebooks.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

I only remember ever seeing one, which I think was given to us by a neighbor whose daughter had owned it. It had Trixie on a horse on the cover, which is the only reason I was interested in it (well, and I loved the Nancy Drew mysteries). Was it The Mystery Off Glen Road?
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I forgot Rabbit Rabbit! Great Memory LAZ!
    Is THAT where Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit came from??? (I always heard it as Rabbit/s 3x not twice. I never read the Trixie Belden books (probably too busy with Nancy Drew) so I never knew that.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I love Trixie Belden books. I preferred them to Nancy Drew (although I did read both) b.c Trixie was more of a tomboy & ran around in the woods (so I could relate).

Bobwhites of the Glenn!

2 members found this post helpful.

I had the entire set. And my friend, who grew up in Australia, read all of them too, so they made it everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by zoma View Post
    I am gonna get flamed --All of The Black Stallion,the Island Stallion,all of Walter Farely's books-so be it!!
    I have all of those also. My first year teaching I had a reading class and I read The Black Stallion to them then we watched the movie. They had to make a list of things that were different. Boy were they ticked! Book was much better.

With that said I was disappointed as an adult rereading a book I had read probably thirty time previously. The writing was poor, it was obvious where some of the ideas came from, and dialogue was choppy. Still a good story though.

I was also a big Trixie Belden fan, as well as a Hardy Boys fan. I read ALL of the Nancy Drew mysteries as well, but preferred Trixie and her friends because they were more down to earth

On a related note, did anyone read the book "The Shy Stegosaurus of Cricket Creek" when they were a kid? I still have that one, and read it to my daughter. It was a pretty good kid's mystery.

I had no idea Trixie Belden was so widespread! Wow! It saddens me to hear that they did not do well with re release...but think about it...what did the kids of the 50's and 60's have in common with today's kids? Not much...in how they spend their time and even the issues have changed in so many ways. We've lost so much of our culture and reading books like this really drives it home to me just how much.

I just started Mystery of the Emeralds last night before bed, and Rabbit Rabbit was the first thing Trixie said! Apparently you make a wish at bed time and say Rabbit twice and then if you remember to say it again first thing as you wake up, you'll get your wish.

2 members found this post helpful.

I too had them and read them over and over and over...."Moms" made hamburgers with a special ingredient...bread crumbs soaked in milk. Remember that?

I loved Trixie Belden! I happened to mention these books the other day to two younger women (in their 20's) and they had never heard of her. Such a shame.

Mine are all in a box in storage - I couldn't part with them. Never liked Nancy Drew (but loved the Hardy Boys!) and also read Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators. Does anyone else remember them? Still remember their names: Jupiter Jones, Pete Crenshaw and Bob Andrews

Still have all mine! Trix shaped my preteen years, and as a teenager I wished my world was more like hers!

Trixie motivated me to try to start my own club. Two school friends & my little sister joined

I was quite a tomboy & my dad a contractor. I pilfered some boards & plywood & built us a clubhouse back in the woods. My dad went looking for his good scap wood - found them, and was torn between being proud his daughter could build something like that, mad that his wood was stolen, and regretful that he'd have to tell me I'd built it 10 feet onto the neighbors property (12 yr olds aren't too aware of survey lines in the woods lol).

I had to take it down & move it, but he let me keep the wood. We called our club FourStarFort, had t-shirts made. Our club meetings consisted of spending as much saved lunch money as we could on candy junk, bringing it back to our fort, and eating it on the roof.

(my clubhouse wasn't bug proof, so not much fun inside in the summer, but pretty cool roof to lay out on!) We spent quality time there but I don't think think we got any problems solved like Trixie always seemed to.

Anyway, it was all done trying to make my life more like Trixie's magical world. Glad I'm not the only girl who was enchanted with that series!

My original set made it to younger cousins, who shared them with friends, and then the set went off to their cousins. LOVE Trixie!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by Janeway View Post
    I loved Trixie Belden! I happened to mention these books the other day to two younger women (in their 20's) and they had never heard of her. Such a shame.

Mine are all in a box in storage - I couldn't part with them. Never liked Nancy Drew (but loved the Hardy Boys!) and also read Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators. Does anyone else remember them? Still remember their names: Jupiter Jones, Pete Crenshaw and Bob Andrews
    LOVED them!!
    I was in competition with my cousins, who could get the next one first!

Also, Enid Blyton put out some fantastic series we could not get enough of.
    Some were girly, set in boarding schools, the others more universal, having the patented formula of 2 boys, 2 girls and some sort of critter....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.